Biggest Surprise of the Season?

Boston Crusaders on what has been one of the most impressive turnarounds in DCI  in years. Crown scoring so high with that show. 

• Like 6

My biggest surprise?  Going to "Big Loud and Live" in the theater and thinking I walked into "Pitch Perfect" by mistake.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I wish I had parents that were as supportive as you're being for your son, that was a big part of what made it hard for me, I have pretty much no support at home (parents still question me going into education and doing what they still consider a phase or a hobby AFTER earning my degree).  

So short version, +100 parenting points for you.   

I was in my third year teaching percussion at the college level when my grandmother asked me what I was going to do if this music thing didn't work out.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

What's the approximate % of Ages in Atlanta Corps Vets?

Is it mostly 20's recent age outs or what?  

Any older members?  

Two distinct populations. A younger population of high school and some college students who for whatever reason can't march DCI yet. And then age-outs as you mention. That said, CV is 20 years old this year, and there are at least 2 people on the field that have marched all 20 years. My son marched last year with a 1979 age-out from Spirit of Atlanta! And he was in the best physical shape of all the baritones at 56+ years old. There are several members over 40. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Boston Crusaders on what has been one of the most impressive turnarounds in DCI  in years. Crown scoring so high with that show. 

The latter? Absolutely!

The former? Considering how much veteran talent jumped to BAC in multiple sections along with that staff, not too surprising. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

The biggest surprise for me this year was Crown's weird show - after years of crowd favorite, contending shows, how the design team could come up with such a clunker this year was really surprising...

Exactly what I was about to say. Biggest surprise - Crown, but not in a good way. :sad:

• Like 2

I have to say I'm surprised at the Blue Devils.

I AM NOT surprised they are good.  They are always good.

I am surprised they are good AND accessible.  So many years, I can recognize their greatness, but their shows can be a little too cerebral for me to embrace emotionally as well.

But, I love their show this year.   So, yeah, a surprise.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

I am surprised they are good AND accessible.  So many years, I can recognize their greatness, but their shows can be a little too cerebral for me to embrace emotionally as well.

Great way to put this. I have had the same problem with BD. But this year, yes, it's a fun show for me to watch. (Finally!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjoakes said:

5. Right Speakers. Most live shows, I've sat slightly right of the 50. Since Tour Premier in Indy, the Right Speakers have really cleaned and cleaned and tightened up their show. I am way surprised they aren't placing higher.

:whistle:

13 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

This is going to sound like complete Hallmark syrup...but it's true. 

When my daughter was about 4 and my son 1, I started a night-time drill with them while putting them to bed that sounded something like the tired axiom "If you chase what you love, and find a way to make a living at it, you'll have the best career possible, and you'll never truly work a day in your life". That is a tired cliche. But you know what...I beat it into both of their heads. My daughter is now a very successful oil painter signed to representation with a gallery here in Atlanta ( she's 21 ) and my son is headed to Jax State to become a band director. I don't worry about either of them having great lives. 

Southerners alum here. Tell your son welcome to the family. Also, Box 5 parenting. :14_relaxed:

• Like 1