Biggest Surprise of the Season?

My biggest surprise personally is that I don't enjoy anyone's show this year as much as I have enjoyed Bluecoats and Crown for the last 3 years.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bluesman said:

Santa Clara Vanguard was a surprise to me.  They had been in 4th or 5th for several years so I didn't expect much of a move.  But now they are not only getting out of the placement rut, but making a case to win the gold.  I hope they do... they deserve it.

I think the huge staff investment has finally paid off. Getting well known designers and instructors and no staff leaving and going and now we see the payoff. Even if they take Silver this is a big step forward.

• Like 1

good: mandarins

bad: incessant cadets drama

• Like 5

7 hours ago, tedrick said:

The biggest surprise for me this year was Crown's weird show - after years of crowd favorite, contending shows, how the design team could come up with such a clunker this year was really surprising...

I completely agree!  I am a big Crown fan, but who in the world thought it was a good idea to bring in a mediocre singer and basically make Crown a backup band to her?  The show is pretty great until she comes on, then it is a slow crash and burn.  Next year they can redeem themselves!! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DCIFanManLA said:

I completely agree!  I am a big Crown fan, but who in the world thought it was a good idea to bring in a mediocre singer and basically make Crown a backup band to her?  The show is pretty great until she comes on, then it is a slow crash and burn.  Next year they can redeem themselves!! 

I agree that the vocalist is not needed in the ballad, but the Know one number has a vocalist and they are being true to the original composition. I personally don't mind vocals in shows though.

Overall, this season has been great and I think we're in for a memorable finals week, but with the exception of Mandarins potential to make finals or at least end up 13th, and perhaps Bluecoats not catching Crown since early in the season, it has played out as I expected. Boston Crusaders did not surprise me given the work they have done to strengthen the organization and the quality team they assembled. If you take a good look at what they've been doing off field, the success of this year was bound to happen.

I think some surprises are yet to happen. I think you could se movement in Indy. I'm thinking Santa Clara could win one of the nights. I'm thinking a Bluecoats might come from behind and surprise Crown. I think there could be movement with Cavies, BAC, and Cadets. I expect Blue Knights in 8th.  Blue Stars, Crossmen, and Phantom could also see movement. While I expect Madison to make finals, I don't think Mandarins are finished yet.

• Like 2

Flomarching was a surprise, to me, this year. It's been so great to feel more connected to so many competitions (and corps) this season. There are whole threads devoted to what needs to improve with it. It's been so much better than constantly scraping the internet hoping for a slight glimpse of the different shows. 

• Like 1