Allentown Saturday in Brief

OK... very brief, since we didn't get to see all the corps. LOL. This was my first 2017 viewing of everyone.... and I agree with a lot of what Jeff has said in his review. 

My thoughts are always from a  "just a fan" perspective.  I'll leave the deep analysis to you doctoral candidates out there. :innocent:

Genesis made two new fans... it was our first viewing of them, and Brenda and I enjoyed their show. A corps on the move.

Academy... before I saw them, a friend had told me much the same thing Jeff said in his review... they are not "all in" like Bridgemen or VK would have been. And a mixed message, to me. A show about rabbit hunting, and the corps proper is dressed like fox hunters. :tongue: But overall, fun to watch... and IMO we need more shows like this, in DCI and DCA.

We saw some Scouts walking by us in the park, and those uniforms/costumes look so much better in person and up close than from the photos. And they work for their show. Unfortunately, the "10 minutes of anger" isn't quite going over as well as planned.

Blue Knights were "out there" (what else is new...LOL) yet mesmerizing at the same time. Their use of color is absolutely stunning. And holy mackerel, what a horn line.

The Cavaliers' "My Way/Mars" mashup is sheer genius... in a "this is completely nuts, but we'll make it work" sort of way.  Amazing.

Boston Crusaders have that trademark "Gino horn line" sound. Full, confident, awesome. A great crowd pleaser this year.

Like Jeff, I liked Cadets' show more than I thought I would.  Really enjoyed the choir.

Crossmen have a classic high-energy, fun-to-watch Bones show, all sorts of stuff going on. Brenda's a Crossmen alum... she took part in the Crossmen Play in the Park event earlier in the day... and seeing her old team in such good shape was a nice way to top off the weekend.

Crown's brass once again is a knockout. Singing didn't bother me quite as much as I anticipated from reading the earlier-season reviews. Did they drop some of the second-half vocals in favor of more ensemble playing? I don't know.

SCV seemed flat. Great corps, across the board... but for me, something was missing. If they add that spark, this upcoming weekend could be very interesting.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

great minds think alike! ( except i find televised golf worse than playing it in person)

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

great minds think alike! ( except i find televised golf worse than playing it in person)

It's fun to watch a tournament in person!!!   So cool to see those great players up close. Not many sports give fans that opportunity.

Hey... at least we still agree on ND's football team. :tongue:

Fred- I actually enjoy the singing and how the hornline adds the nuisances to the performance.  She is actually a very good vocalist IMHO.  Thank you for your review.

• Like 1