DCA show Kingston, NY 8/9/2003

Not sure why it has to be unbiased. He's entitled to his opinion; he never said that it would be entirely unbiased. I didn't see the shows in Kingston so I can't comment on anything he wrote specifically about the Kingston performances, but I did see the New Brunswick shows and agree with some of what he's referring back to there. Not everything of course - such is the nature of beast.

Please continue to share your reviews. To everyone else that was at Kingston that didn't post reviews - get them up. Ignore the naysayers and tell us how the shows reached YOU. I bet everyone that witnessed the show would have a different favorite moment and that's fine!

Just mho.

Amen brother!

I really do enjoy what people have to say about the shows, good and bad. A lot of times, you'll find you have to agree even though what is said sucks for you.

I think this review is fine, and not only because I march with one of the corps that had a more positive review, but because I think it's complete. I'd rather read this, even with it's hyperbole and brutal honesty, rather than reading one liners stating "they were loud" or "they were big" or "they were good" even if they weren't because I have a better idea on how our show is getting across to the audience. But if you only want to do one liners, please share anyway!

So Jon, thanks for the review.

Edited by meechkay

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone knows that if you choose to review a show, especially when finals are so close, that the review needs to be unbiased and if it isn't - well, "wars" happen.

I'm puzzled by this statement...Are judges coming here to get an idea before they go adjudicate? Are caption heads logging on and reading reviews before they incorporate changes into the show because jonplaysbari didn't like something and commeted on it? Are the Cabs going to come over to Bush and beat us up by the buses next week because of this?

I hope that's not the case.

heck no, we're gonna bring GOOD beer! :)

. I just have a problem with the review and how every corps had something wrong except his corps.

Thats just not true.

Now, with the above being said, I'm gonna weigh in.

It's obvious to me that the reviewer doesn't like our show.

I don't have a problem with that. You can't please everybody all of the time.

But he really doesn't "review" our show. The reviewer accuses us of getting all lazy, and for not coming onto the field inspired. The whole review, basically, except where he describes how his mother's eyes bugged out when we had our opening hit, basically implies that since Clifton, all we've done is sit back on our laurels.

This is what I have a problem with. He has no idea just how hard we ARE working. We are busting our collective ##### to make sure this show is the very best that it can be, every time we perform it.

But that's fine. He can make his speculations all he wants. The only opinions that really matter to me are the ones on those little white tapes that are handed to us after the show. I enjoy reviews, sure, because I like to see what the fan is thinking. Somehow, I get the impression that this particular reviewer's opinion is in the minority.

Mikey, let's not get into this in a public forum. It's not worth it. Besides, that's not what we're about. If you wanna debate this stuff, do it in private.

To the Bushwackers: I really love your show this year. After playing Holsinger back in 1997, I really fell in love with his compositions. Keep up the great work, and I'll see y'all soon.

To the Bushwacker low brass line: Good God you guys are amazing. Are you playing on 3 valve chromies? I love that sound. It's so much better than silver deg's. Beautiful ensemble sound. Moments of brilliance. Thank you.

Everyone knows that if you choose to review a show, especially when finals are so close, that the review needs to be unbiased and if it isn't - well, "wars" happen.

I'm puzzled by this statement...Are judges coming here to get an idea before they go adjudicate? Are caption heads logging on and reading reviews before they incorporate changes into the show because jonplaysbari didn't like something and commeted on it? Are the Cabs going to come over to Bush and beat us up by the buses next week because of this?

I hope that's not the case.

Now come on. Of course judges/caption heads aren't logging on to see DCP reviews - that's just silly. Maybe they're reading them for their personal enjoyment, and if they are not, then Empire will in fact be wearing hats next week. :P

And why drag Cabs into this? Because my husband marches there? If my signature had Rochester Crusaders in it would you have dragged them instead?