Why SCV should win DCI 2017

Thought this would be a good topic for the week. Another great year for drum corps. I do not see anyone winning but BD or SCV. 

I have started two threads, hoping to keep both from starting as supportive for one unit over another, to becoming bashing of one group under another.

DCP admin, please allow the two threads to stand alone.  

So, I will start here- Why SCV should win DCI 2017: (I am using my own measures, though I am aware each lies somewhere embedded in a judge's tote sheet)

Even-ess in all captions.  Drums, great shot at 1st. Guard, great shot at top 4. Visual, great shot at top 2. Horns, great shot at 3rd or 4th.                                                                                                                                      GE- can be 1 or 2- They are first for me in GE. 

Pacing and variety of effects. Winners of this in my view, easily.

Demand versus reward. Winners in my view. 

Individual achievement per second. CLEAR, OVERWHELMING winners in my view. 

The uniqueness factor/not your usual pony ride. Winners in my view. BK, PR, and Cadets in the same category, but not to the SCV degree.

Show flow and horizontal connectivity. Winners in my view. 

The ending lives up to the rest of the show journey. SCV as winners. Bloo is second here. Boston third.  PR in there too. 

The math of it all/the sheer engineering accomplishment. Never been anything like it. Astonishing.

Want to see it again factor. Off the charts. I catch several new things upon each viewing. 

Emotional value. Winners, though BD has its ballad. 

Edited by tigger2
  • Like 3

OK...I give up. I honestly can't think of one reason why SCV should win. Until the ending, their show is boring and very unremarkable. And those costumes...worse costumes of the year. Visually horrible from the stands...ugh! Blue Devils and Crown are the best of the field this season...not even close.

• Like 2

I believe both corps should be fed a hearty breakfast  featuring waffles on finals day. 

• Like 5

I agree that it should be one or the other, SCV or BD. BD does not have an ending that is working well, 

SCV is achieving member per member at a level higher than anyone. The rate and variety of responsibility is crazy off the charts. There aren't even two measures where the show isn't well conceived, connected, or effective. SCV is using their props much better than anyone. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, derbydawg said:

I agree that it should be one or the other, SCV or BD. BD does not have an ending that is working well, 

SCV is achieving member per member at a level higher than anyone. The rate and variety of responsibility is crazy off the charts. There aren't even two measures where the show isn't well conceived, connected, or effective. SCV is using their props much better than anyone. 

You said it best. Every time I watch this show I keep waiting for the down moment that never comes. It is just packed with stuff from beginning to end in every caption, and every marching member has so much individual responsibility.

It isn't much "favorite" show, because it doesn't really have a lot of emotion, and that would be my only criticism. But, that clearly doesn't matter to the judging sheets. From beginning to end, they have the best show and for me it's no longer even arguable.

• Like 5

I do think SCV has the better of the two shows overall, but BD has more attention grabbing moments that I think sell the show better. I think this is true of BD shows in most years, and that does seem to work for the judges. 

I absolutely love SCV's show and have wanted them to win since day 1 of the season, when I realized they totally could. BD's show this year has been a labor of love for me --- growing slowly and eventually turning into something so incredible that I was won over (that was around Denver). I want SCV to win, because I've loved that show all season, but at this point in the season, BD's show seems to have evolved into something a bit more magical and special, and I can't take an honest look at both corps and deny that. Reviewing the Allentown videos over and over the past few days, SCV does feel a little too methodical and technical next to BD & Bloo's wild performance energies and memorable moments. My 2 cents: SCV will have to add just a touch more soul and passion (just a dash will do) to this otherwise technically-proficient beast in order to push it over the top in the final days of the season.

Personally feel BD should win it with about a point to spare 

I prefer their horns, guard, visual as a whole and feel they should win GE. That leaves SCV Percussion. 

But great to see SCV have such a terrific year 

• Like 2