Why SCV should win DCI 2017

59 minutes ago, Candid Insight said:

It is true that there is no caption for 'costumes', however the visual appearance that can be created with uniforms (color/design) is certainly a factor in General Effect.  The Bluecoats 2016 uniforms had an impact in this regard.

You are right "IF" a corps chooses to make a uniform part of the overall theme it can be a very important part on how the entire program is viewed. "IF a corps chooses to go a traditional approach and not make the corps proper part of that then that can be different. When designing a show sometimes if you give more in way of props costuming, etc etc, one opens themselves up to a broader judgement.

So I think you as well as Brasso can be right

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

I haven't seen BD live yet.  

When Crown took the field last night (SCV and Bloo still to go) you could tell they were above everyone else that had performed so far.  

Then SCV came on and my husband made some great points. 1. Yes Crown Brass is better but SCV has very good brass that hangs with all of the other top groups...the brass isn't holding them back. 2. SCV had the most complete package of a show...so much going on musically and visually with a great music program. 3. Their color guard is very clean and balances with the brass and percussion flawlessly.

Your husband is a smart and perceptive man.

25 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Your husband is a smart and perceptive man.

Haha he's an alumni (not from SCV)that is now a music educator. I just have a music minor and never marched...but I am a much bigger DCI fan than him lol.

I followed DCI a little in college going to the Pittsburgh show with a friend and former Bluecoat and watching the ESPN specials but my husband created a monster when he took me to DCI finals for my birthday in 2012.

The first 2 observations were more part of our conversation during and after the show...the third...well...that was all him.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Bluecoats here in 2017 have FAR better eye appealing costumes than in 2016, and they utilize the unique bowler hats for clever visual effects throughout the 2017 show... and quite effectively too. But judges don't give credit for hats, costumes, etc on the sheets, or else the Defending Champions ( Bluecoats ) would not be sitting currently in 4th place. So no, attire in DCI is essentially a non factor in where all these Corps are sitting right now placement wise. Some DCI corps have won Championships ( and recently too ) with some of the most hideous looking attire in Drum Corps history. Some years, Phantom Regiment has had THE most well coordinated, classically top notch costumes, color coordinated and theme coordinated perfectly with the stunningly beautiful Guard outfits and finished well out of the running. So no.. imo... the duds these Corps choose for themselves in any season are essentially a non factor in their scores and placements.

costuming would have a small impact on visual ge, would it not?

21 minutes ago, cube said:

costuming would have a small impact on visual ge, would it not?

I believe so inconsequential ( compared to dozens of other factors ) that the attire one has on becomes just about meaningless to ones scores/ placements in DCI. in my opinion, Academy has the single most theme specific, well designed and integrated costuming in DCI this season... including the Guard theme specific attire chosen for costuming. Right down to the hats chosen for this season's show theme. Academy, along with Bluecoats,  however are probably headed for score/ placement slippage this season . SCV, by contrast, has costuming that is far less appealing than they have had on the last decade, imo.  But their costuming has had virtually nothing at all to do with their position right now to perhaps win it all, or at least medal.. something they have not done in many a year. SCV costumes do not do much for their visuals, as near as I can tell. So their attire is mostly inconsequential to their good scores/ placements this season, imo.

By the way, have any of us seen how the judges dress in their private lives ? I have with a few of them. Trust me, I don't think we want some of these judges being the arbiter of what is good costuming attire, or subpar costuming attire. I think even most of them are relieved that what Corps have on for duds are not something that should much concern them when it comes to their giving out their scores at these competitions.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

SCV and BD have the 2 best Corps in DCI this season, and either one would be deserving Champions as both of them have great Show Designs, and sufficient performer based execution to win. I suppose at the moment, BD has the edge here. However, I do like how the SCV show has a great flow to it from start to finish. Its pacing is first rate. It does not seem like segmented parts woven together, but rather a seemless, flowing visual/ musical journey that captures the theme brilliantly, imo. The use of flags in the show is superior. The brass charts arrangements, clever. Yes, there is amplification, but lots of others are using this, so in my view, SCV is utilizing the amplification well compared to many others. The visual demands in their show seem challenging. There still is noticeable, visible dirt there though, and it needs to be cleaner come Championships. SCV still seems like :" Drum Corps " to me, as they are " marching " more from dot to dot, not so much running in the show from dot to dot as i can see in some other Corps shows. I hope they win. But BD has a well crafted show design too here in 2017, and there is undeniable performer talent in their Corps to win it all with it. I enjoy this BD show more than a few recent ones from them. Finally, Crown is still in the Title hunt, and last nites score in Ohio shows they remain a viable option if SCV and BD  both come up a bit short in performance in Indy.

This.  I was putting my thoughts together and read Brasso's post.  Could not have said it better myself.  (probably not as well).

6 hours ago, Candid Insight said:

For those who are not fans of amplifying brass, be aware that many of the top corps are doing it, but approaching it differently.  For example, SCV amplifies their 'small brass ensemble' while the Blue Devils have 6 mics spread across the front sideline to amplify various sections of their show.  In the Blue Devils' high brass feature on side B they are amplifying that section very effectively.   If you watch closely, other corps also have microphone across the front sideline placed strategically to allow them to amplify certain brass sections and/or part of their show.   This amplification trend has been adopted quickly after the success the Bluecoats have had with it.  I expect we will see more of it.

I think the issue that most people are having is not necessarily the amplification itself, but the amplifying of a certain number of players to play OVER the hornline (though they do have soli moments too which is fine). Why not just have the whole hornline play it or half the hornline play one part and the other half play another part? 

The BD trumpet feature that you mentioned is just that, a feature. 

Yes Santa Clara should absolutely win.  Their program does what no other show has done and that is to perfectly blend the music and visual into a seamless, powerful, beautiful and demanding program that should bring them the gold. The members are performing at a level not seen since 1989.  Should easily win drums and GE.  The guard is worthy of the Zingali Award IMO, and if the Brassline gets the scores they should they might win overall music.

Their nearest competitor the Blue Devils have put on a show that barely relates to its title or the concept.  Some say that the variety of movement is what gets them the undeserved wins in visual.  But those body movements can only be appreciated by fans in the first few rows.  So people sitting higher up see more of the annual scatter drills,  rotating boxes and follow the leader drills that we've seen year after year after year.  They have a hot as heck brass section, but they should considering their is virtually  no simultaneous responsibility in their park and blow show this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I believe so inconsequential ( compared to dozens of other factors ) that the attire one has on becomes just about meaningless to ones scores/ placements in DCI. in my opinion, Academy has the single most theme specific, well designed and integrated costuming in DCI this season... including the Guard theme specific attire chosen for costuming. Right down to the hats chosen for this season's show theme. Academy, along with Bluecoats,  however are probably headed for score/ placement slippage this season . SCV, by contrast, has costuming that is far less appealing than they have had on the last decade, imo.  But their costuming has had virtually nothing at all to do with their position right now to perhaps win it all, or at least medal.. something they have not done in many a year. SCV costumes do not do much for their visuals, as near as I can tell. So their attire is mostly inconsequential to their good scores/ placements this season, imo.

By the way, have any of us seen how the judges dress in their private lives ? I have with a few of them. Trust me, I don't think we want some of these judges being the arbiter of what is good costuming attire, or subpar costuming attire. I think even most of them are relieved that what Corps have on for duds are not something that should much concern them when it comes to their giving out their scores at these competitions.

If costume has no impact on score, then why did 9 of the top 12 decide to skip traditional marching uniforms for this season? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

If costume has no impact on score, then why did 9 of the top 12 decide to skip traditional marching uniforms for this season? 

Corps have been skipping all manner of " traditional " trappings, each and every season. The costumes are simply part and parcel of this movement away from " tradition ". If Corps did this though because thought they thought they'd get " better scores " then wow, most of them sure miscalculated with that, huh ?... as there is no connection at all between better scores/ placements and what duds a Corps chose for itself, traditional, or otherwise. Show Design, Marcher Talent, and the quality of the Educational Staff are mostly determinative of scores. placements in DCI. BD has changed their uniforms about 35 times in the last 35 years. It never meant a hill of beans in their scores/ placements what colors they were, what styles they were, or any of that. Cadets had their traditional uniforms that have won them multiple DCI titles in it as well as finish out of the top 30 in them. Same uniform. 'Never made a difference in any of it. On the other hand if we are saying that a uniform change DOES make a big difference in scores/ placements, then we'd be compelled to say that the Cadets abandonment of the 80 year traditional uniform has led to their plummet in scores/ placements since then. The last time the Cadets were ranked in 1st place in DCI was mid season 3 seasons ago. They won the San Antonio Regionals, then chucked the traditional uniforms mid season, and its been a placement downhill since. Did the costume change do that ?. Well, you could say so, if we're thinking that costumes play a role in scores. placements. But like I just stated, I don't think what duds a Corps has on mean anything at all to what scores/placements these Corps receive. There is no evidence that leads me to believe that costuming and scores/placements are related in the least. Not now in Drum Corps.. not ever in Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO