Why Blue Devils should win DCI 2017

17 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Doesn't the author violate his own rules? Half of his reasoning is in favor of SCV:lle:

Ummm, no. He has placed reasons for both corps. The point of the thread I believe. The rules do not say you cannot reasons for either corps regardless of who you think should win. 

I'll play too.

BD 's performance of this years show has a bigger than life feel about it. I am not sure I can find an exact word.

sure, all of these work to some degree: swagger, confidence, poise, professionalism, etc.

The sound of the corps overall is unmatched. They are strong in all captions. It is perhaps the final version of a formula that have been perfecting for several years now. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jsd said:

I will disagree.

Down Side Up was a one-off. It was the "perfect storm" of a show, in the right place, at the right time. When we look back historically, that show will be a side note. 

Truth be told, both BD and Crown had better shows last year. BD should have won, Crown should have been a close scond, and Bloo should have (at best) finished third. I can make the argument that Cavaliers should have outplaced Bloo. 

Crowd consensus and emotional appeal allowed Bloo to win last year. Hell, even the announcers were calling for it...

And yet, this year, their "formula" is tired. We have seen this before. We don't need to see it again.

Well said! Bet the Canton police have a "be on the lookout..." for someone matching your description.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phan771 said:

BD 's performance of this years show has a bigger than life feel about it. I am not sure I can find an exact word.

sure, all of these work to some degree: swagger, confidence, poise, professionalism, etc.

I don't think they are outperforming their content, rather they are out-presenting their typical high level of performance of a really tough show, if that makes sense. The relaxation and joy they are communicating is something I'm not sure I've seen before. It just really comes across that they absolutely love what they are doing, in all sections. Maybe it is due to the extremely high talent level they have this year, or that the show represents the history of the organization that they are proud to be part of. Something is definitely special and it's a real treat to see and hear it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jsd said:

I will disagree.

Down Side Up was a one-off. It was the "perfect storm" of a show, in the right place, at the right time. When we look back historically, that show will be a side note. 

Truth be told, both BD and Crown had better shows last year. BD should have won, Crown should have been a close scond, and Bloo should have (at best) finished third. I can make the argument that Cavaliers should have outplaced Bloo. 

Crowd consensus and emotional appeal allowed Bloo to win last year. Hell, even the announcers were calling for it...

And yet, this year, their "formula" is tired. We have seen this before. We don't need to see it again.

I'm sure you can make the argument.  This year has shown that many arguments can be made for many things.  Their formula is not tired, it got hooked to an unmovable object and a show they couldn't clean.  I love Cavies, Blue Devilsand Crown, but Bluecoats should have and did win last year.  If you want formulas, you can look at BD. Great brass, percussion and guard, very average visual show, which was and has been a formula of theirs for many years.  It's clean as all get out and the brass plays incredibly well, but the simplicity of the visual show is an amazing thing, and congrats to them for finding the formula that worked very well in the past and will win them the title this year.  

Just posted over in SCV, but I can easily make an argument for why BD should win.  First, nobody has beaten them yet.  Case closed.

Just kidding, of course there's more.  They manage to weave together an incredibly diverse set of tunes into a cohesive whole.  Their brass is stellar - to these untrained ears probably the best in DCI this year.  Their guard, of course, can do anything they want and make it look perfect.  They march incredibly well, and of course mated with the "other" visual demands they put on the marchers, puts them in a class of their own.  Their drumline brings a "take no prisoners" approach to performance, and it shows - there's a reason their warmups are as well attended as some Open Class performances!  The throwbacks to their lineage in this show are just some emotional icing on the cake.  And for me personally, the ballad.... oh, that ballad... I will watch and listen to that ballad anywhere, anytime, from now on. 

Actually, the whole back half of the show is so vintage Blue Devils it makes me sad the show ends - I want it to keep going.  I desperately hope the powers that be hear how dang *cool* they are and the reactions to them, and keep giving us more of it in the future.  Basically, I think this BD is so cool they need to make it their new normal.

Mike

5 hours ago, jsd said:

My point was that Bloo probably won because of the hype that surrounded them. That is the same hype that is completely missing for them this year.  Hence, their presumable fourth place finish. 

Since when do the judges give a rat's butt about hype?

8 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Just posted over in SCV, but I can easily make an argument for why BD should win.  First, nobody has beaten them yet.  Case closed.

Ask the 1988 Devils if the case is closed...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Memphis1980 said:

Ask the 1988 Devils if the case is closed...

Valid point (and my God do I love the '88 Blue Devils), but in all honesty I don't see it happening.  In the last-ish few years, when BD loses it's because they've been trading wins with another corps (Crown, Bluecoats) during the run up.  They've maintained such a significant spread over SCV for the last few weeks, I don't see a dark horse catching them.  Even SCV, whose show I think is totally championship-type material.

Mike

• Like 1