Boston Crusaders 2018

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

I can understand why DCI feels that not renting Lucas Oil for practice evens the playing field, though I am not sure that was the only reason. I would wonder, if this were ever questioned, would DCI have a leg to stand on? What right does DCI have in saying who Lucas Oil Stadium can and cannot rent to at times they do not rent the property? Those with better legal minds than mine may be able to shed some light on it, but I would question the legality of this rule.

Maybe I am missing something, but why would this be different legally than any other rule?

Why would they not have a legal right to enforce the rules that the corps contractually agreed to comply with?  Sure, they can't prevent Lucas Oil from renting to a corps, but I would think they should be able to disqualify or penalize that corps if it chooses to rent the stadium in violation of the rules it agreed to comply with.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Oh Yeah !

Related imageImage result for happy!... gifsImage result for that was awesome... meme

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

dci should afford each core with access to LOS to perform sound checks like any other musical event. OK throw the cost at me but somehow Boston was able tp pay to get the place to themselves that year. I posted this on another thread but here are my thoughts on amplification today. Decent home stereos come with listening devices so they can set the acoustics of the room because sound is directional from modern speakers and this year some Corps are using line array speakers where rock groups can bounce sounds off the walls at will.

Amplification first we need to understand the purpose. Is it for clarity of the spoken word common in the shows today, loudness (1984 PR used db meters to tone down William Tell) so it can't be that. That leaves acoustical modeling (blending) of the music a wonderful goal.

Then we ask the near impossible out of the Corps audio engineers. Set up an line array speaker system in a unknown acoustic environment that changes every show w/o any sound checks and in less than 17 minutes. Hats off to them for pulling this off. There needs to be a recognition of how many watts you require for a particular venue but the engineers are not afforded that opportunity,

I like loud but at times there is a fuzzy mush of sound on the low end from amped corps. At times amplification creates an conflict between the visual and the auditory that wasn't notched in the past. Quite frankly I don't know where to sit anymore and wish I could move after I see where the speakers are placed.

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

dci should afford each core with access to LOS to perform sound checks like any other musical event. OK throw the cost at me but somehow Boston was able tp pay to get the place to themselves that year. I posted this on another thread but here are my thoughts on amplification today. Decent home stereos come with listening devices so they can set the acoustics of the room because sound is directional from modern speakers and this year some Corps are using line array speakers where rock groups can bounce sounds off the walls at will.

Amplification first we need to understand the purpose. Is it for clarity of the spoken word common in the shows today, loudness (1984 PR used db meters to tone down William Tell) so it can't be that. That leaves acoustical modeling (blending) of the music a wonderful goal.

Then we ask the near impossible out of the Corps audio engineers. Set up an line array speaker system in a unknown acoustic environment that changes every show w/o any sound checks and in less than 17 minutes. Hats off to them for pulling this off. There needs to be a recognition of how many watts you require for a particular venue but the engineers are not afforded that opportunity,

I like loud but at times there is a fuzzy mush of sound on the low end from amped corps. At times amplification creates an conflict between the visual and the auditory that wasn't notched in the past. Quite frankly I don't know where to sit anymore and wish I could move after I see where the speakers are placed.

Yeah I’m assuming that dedicating time and money specifically to test out audio equipment in LOS prior to championships is just too much for DCI. I’d rather have mushy sounding drum corps than no drum corps at all 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I’d rather have mushy sounding drum corps than no drum corps at all 

Hopefully it would not come down to no drum corps at all and I hope the mush is less noticeable live than on FLO, will know this weekend. Hard to remember what I heard last year and from reading comments on here the Corps seemed to amp up the amps this year. I understand the logistics of the activity can't afford to take the time to hone in the sound. However having a little experience in sound engineering they have a difficult task. The corps venues vary greatly from place to place and the rule of thumb - sound is reduced by 6db every time the distance doubles away from the speakers. Different levels are needed for each venue, I am not questioning the knowledge or abilities of the sound engineers for the Corps or FLO they are doing the best they can and are great just pointing out why the venue can make a difference in the sound of amped corps. 

10 hours ago, Bluzes said:

There is NOTHING that will ever replace the CLARITY of an ACOUSTICAL brassline....nothing!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

There is NOTHING that will ever replace the CLARITY of an ACOUSTICAL brassline....nothing!

AMEN. It’s that clear, uncontaminated brass sound that’s getting lost. That beautiful tone gets so distorted by the amps. 

• Like 3