Boston Crusaders 2018

I agree with what JWillis said not too long ago on another thread. The TOC has outlived its usefulness, if it ever had any. It is meaningless, and represents a concession prize DCI felt compelled to throw them when the G7 idiocy imploded.  There are at least two TOC corps which are now in serious financial and creative trouble, while corps like BAC and BK are ascending. Get rid of it. Move on. Nothing more to see here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Liahona said:

I don't think they've ever listen to any of my crazy show ideas...would be interested to hear your thoughts....

To be fair, I don't think any of the designers across all the corps have taken any DCPers' suggestions.

...Although I've always wanted to see what DCI would be like if the members and/or fans chose the show designs.

2 hours ago, craiga said:

There are at least two TOC corps which are now in serious financial and creative trouble, while corps like BAC and BK are ascending.  

Will a member of Boston's BOD once again be approached for a loan only to be turned down?

Edited by Ghost

5 hours ago, craiga said:

The TOC has outlived its usefulness, if it ever had any.

While I dislike elitism in this activity, the TOC conversation has brought about some (imo) good changes with regard to competition lineups, competition format, audience engagement, not to mention awareness of the added burdens top corps face. 

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

the TOC conversation has brought about some (imo) good changes with regard to competition lineups, competition format, audience engagement, not to mention awareness of the added burdens top corps face. 

I don't see it.. but not to quibble. I see essentially little to no difference at all to the TOC format with the non TOC format regarding such things as " audience engagement ", or a further awareness of some alleged " added burdens top Corps face", and so forth. But again, not to quibble with you on this, as its just one's opinion,  assessment on it, and its no big deal if my take might be a bit different on this than yours Ediker.  I enjoy reading your posts on DCP, Ediker, even if I might disagree a bit with you on this TOC construct. Maybe I'd be a bit more postive on the TOC construct, if its motivations behind its initial creation was not so divisive within the DCI Community that gave birth to it. Fortunately, it seems to me that with each passing day, the G7 becomes yesterdays news.. insofar as Boston is concerned, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, craiga said:

I agree with what JWillis said not too long ago on another thread. The TOC has outlived its usefulness, if it ever had any. It is meaningless, and represents a concession prize DCI felt compelled to throw them when the G7 idiocy imploded.  There are at least two TOC corps which are now in serious financial and creative trouble, while corps like BAC and BK are ascending. Get rid of it. Move on. Nothing more to see here.

4 hours ago, Ediker said:

While I dislike elitism in this activity, the TOC conversation has brought about some (imo) good changes with regard to competition lineups, competition format, audience engagement, not to mention awareness of the added burdens top corps face. 

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I don't see it.. but not to quibble. I see essentially little to no difference at all to the TOC format with the non TOC format regarding such things as " audience engagement ", or a further awareness of some alleged " added burdens top Corps face", and so forth. But again, not to quibble with you on this, as its just one's opinion,  assessment on it, and its no big deal if my take might be a bit different on this than yours Ediker.  I enjoy reading your posts on DCP, Ediker, even if I might disagree a bit with you on this TOC construct. Maybe I'd be a bit more postive on the TOC construct, if its motivations behind its initial creation was not so divisive within the DCI Community that gave birth to it. Fortunately, it seems to me that with each passing day, the G7 becomes yesterdays news.. insofar as Boston is concerned, anyway.

The elitism concept itself was not great. I've been to three TOC shows the last 3 years.  There isn't any "audience engagement" component. There weren't any small ensembles that I'm aware of taking place either.  The only real difference is performance order. Can one argue the audience size is larger?  I find that hard that hard to believe...otherwise the TOC show would continue to be at Giant's stadium...then again the cost to hold show there is also extremely high as well...attendance is up for all the shows...if a TOC show competes with another small show then I could see a difference in attendance in that case...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Thanks for your responses, @BRASSO and @Liahona.  I should clarify the things I attributed (possibly not accurately) to the TOC movement.  For the record, these changes can (and have) been implemented with or without TOC, so yeah, TOC may not be necessary, but it has brought about some important conversations.  

Competition Lineups - the list of corps at shows such as Broken Arrow and Nightbeat were awesome.  What a value for ticket buying fans!  It even made the case for fans flying into these places they might never otherwise visit.

Competition Format - the random order of appearances for corps makes TOC competitions more interesting.  It gets fans into their seats earlier to see some of the top teams, instead of showing up for only the final 2-3 performances.  It also allows lower rung corps the opportunity to go on later, allowing more rehearsal and prep time.  

Audience Engagement - again, when a corps like BD or SCV go on first, the audience is more likely to show up earlier, and buy more souvies/food.  With audiences likely to be fuller, it gives some of the lower rung corps a chance to perform for larger crowds.  

Burdens on Top Corps - when it was always the winning corps making the encore, it was a burden on those who often win.  It means they get loaded and on the road later.  Spreading out encore performances to other corps is far more equitable.  

The TOC movement came across as extortion toward DCI and was disparaging to lesser corps.  It also seemed like a money grab by certain organizations for whom even a plantation of money trees couldn't fix their financial mismanagement.  

• Like 1

' Getting back to " Boston 2018 " ( this thread ) it will be interesting to ultimately learn what Boston decides to do re. uniforms/ shakos for 2018. The DCI trend seems to be to develop costuming that is theme specific. Boston had that in this years Unis/ shakos.... so it'll be interesting to learn down the road what the staff has in store for 2018 in this regard. Its still August, so'll it'll be quite awhile till those decisions are made,... of course

• Like 1

My guess is they will continue the plume ballet in 2018, and will also feature at least one shako-free moment. The unis/costumes were designed to be easily customized for a new theme/show.  They were, however, smelling pretty ripe in Indy and might be better off burned.