Boston Crusaders 2018

Just now, Liahona said:

I personally would like to see percussion and brass catch up to last years guard finish...so not realistically expecting movement to 1st here...just some more upward mobility would be nice...

I marched in a DCA corps that went from 6th to 2nd in a year... then from 2nd to 1st the next year.

Honestly, that move up one spot... to 1st... was tougher than the previous four-placement move.  Not much margin for error at the top. 

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I marched in a DCA corps that went from 6th to 2nd in a year... then from 2nd to 1st the next year.

Honestly, that move up one spot... to 1st... was tougher than the previous four-placement move.  Not much margin for error at the top. 

Been there too and even tougher in DCI

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Agree...the years when we have really high scores usually means that the "field" was strong...not necessarily that they were any better than the first place from a previous season...you are right not much room for error...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Been there too and even tougher in DCI

Unless you're the Blue Devils.  LOL.

Seriously.... even they've been on the losing end of a tight race.

Those top corps are amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

I personally would like to see percussion and brass catch up to last years guard finish...so not realistically expecting movement to 1st here...just some more upward mobility would be nice...

I'm sure it will. Those instructors are some of the best in the business. The guard just had a lot of members come over from Crown, but the rest was mainly Boston/New. As much as I like seeing Crown win brass, I miss seeing competition from a Gino line! *Sigh* Guess I'll go watch old lot videos to hold off until the season starts.

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

What some forget is it's not just about a corps ( any corps) getting better it's very much about another corps dropping or off their usual game. We all have seen dozens of corps over the years improve to the point of finals and never make it or even drop.

Its hard to get into the Top 6. Once there its easier to stay in the Top 6, then for a Corps out of the Top 6, to get into ( or back into)  the Top 6   Why ? MM's and applicants today want to march in Top 6 Corps today more than marchers in previous era's did in my opinion. Once a Corps falls out of the Top 6 after being there, its a real struggle to get back there again in DCI. They " drop off their usual game", as the MM talent pool is not as robust and strong as it once was.

19 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Its hard to get into the Top 6. Once there its easier to stay in the Top 6, then for a Corps out of the Top 6, to get into ( or back into)  the Top 6   Why ? MM's and applicants today want to march in Top 6 Corps today more than marchers in previous era's did in my opinion. Once a Corps falls out of the Top 6 after being there, its a real struggle to get back there again in DCI. They " drop off their usual game", as the MM talent pool is not as robust and strong as it once was.

Yes very true, about talent and difficulty to reach top 1/2

Corps today are so close in talent, etc etc. I don't think the number 6 is a dividing line especially if 7 or 8 are close. Usually, 5 has been a dividing line ( silly of course ) but also 10th

Although true it is certainly true about what others do within  competition. not just what a corps does. With that said no one can control what others do or don't do so, it's always best to just focus on one's self. That people can control..jmo

Edited by GUARDLING

17 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes very true, about talent and difficulty to reach top 1/2

Corps today are so close in talent, etc etc. I don't think the number 6 is a dividing line especially if 7 or 8 are close. Usually, 5 has been a dividing line ( silly of course ) but also 10th

Collectively, Corps get better every few years too. So if a Corps is not getting better, instead staying about the same, they likely could be passed up.  Bluecoats 5th place finish Corps from last season, might've finished higher 7, 8 years ago, for example. SCV might've won with their 2017 show and marcher talent  7 or 8 years ago for another example. Mandarins 2017 would've made Finals a few short years back too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Collectively, Corps get better every few years too. So if a Corps is not getting better, instead staying about the same, they likely could be past up.  Bluecoats 5th place finish Corps from last season, might've finished higher 7, 8 years ago, for example. SCV might've won with their 2017 show and marcher talent  7 or 8 years ago for another example. Mandarins 2017 would've made Finals a few short years back too, imo.

all true

• Like 1