Boston Crusaders 2018

Avoiding anything thematic, here are some impressions from last weekend. 

Sorry, didn't watch much of the guard, but have no reason to believe they won't be top notch. 

I agree with @BRASSO, the kids look young, and it's because we're so much older.  This edition is a mature and hungry group.  In past years, it was a success to have veterans return.  This year, many veterans faced tough competition to keep their spots.  This is a group very experienced with world class competition.  There is no reliable way to rank a corps in April.  What can be said is this: it is one thing to be great among the best, and it's an entirely new level to show the best new ways to be great.  Gut check is that Boston is going to innovate in this department, and it is what will set them apart this season.  

Percussion - Three words: controlled, precise, engaging.  The book is top notch, and their work is cut out for them.  There is a lot for them to clean, and it's already WOW.  Besides the expected control and precision one would expect from a great percussion section, it's possible we will see them be far more engaging and interactive with the audience.  It's an often untapped source of GE.  Last year BK and Cavies were doing it, and it's probably a wise trend to pursue.  

Brass - the basics are solid, and they're focusing on more advanced stuff.  Double-tonguing is being heavily worked and featured.  There are lots of notes in the music.  The sound is full, round, dark, and warm.  Attention levels are high and focus is on par with what can be found in a battery.  They're not spending time on how to play, they're practicing being a great ensemble.  All of the things that require a full group is what they are working on.  This time of year, there is little in the way of electronics, etc., so they are sounding excellent in an old school way.  The book is tough.  They're hardly clean, but it's within their grasp to master it.  Once school is done and they are able to devote the focus this book requires, it's going to be a treat for the audience.  Tempos are fast... like 195 b/m fast.  They are working on getting the music and M&M up to those tempos.  No one can claim they're not going for it.  I hope we get to see some old school fast drill moves, and that they get credit for what they attain.  <rant> That may be asking for too much from the politics in DCI visual judging.  </rant>

In summary, they are positioned to have a great competitive season.  Generally, to finish top 5, a corps needs to be highly competitive across all sections.  To be top 3, they need to be the best in at least one.  The staff is giving them the show they need.  The MMs will have that sweet/rare feeling that they can control what they achieve.  The MM's challenge for this season is to embrace that level of responsibility to the point where they thrive on it, while remaining undeterred by what happens outside of their control.    

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Avoiding anything thematic, here are some impressions from last weekend. 

Sorry, didn't watch much of the guard, but have no reason to believe they won't be top notch. 

I agree with @BRASSO, the kids look young, and it's because we're so much older.  This edition is a mature and hungry group.  In past years, it was a success to have veterans return.  This year, many veterans faced tough competition to keep their spots.  This is a group very experienced with world class competition.  There is no reliable way to rank a corps in April.  What can be said is this: it is one thing to be great among the best, and it's an entirely new level to show the best new ways to be great.  Gut check is that Boston is going to innovate in this department, and it is what will set them apart this season.  

Percussion - Three words: controlled, precise, engaging.  The book is top notch, and their work is cut out for them.  There is a lot for them to clean, and it's already WOW.  Besides the expected control and precision one would expect from a great percussion section, it's possible we will see them be far more engaging and interactive with the audience.  It's an often untapped source of GE.  Last year BK and Cavies were doing it, and it's probably a wise trend to pursue.  

Brass - the basics are solid, and they're focusing on more advanced stuff.  Double-tonguing is being heavily worked and featured.  There are lots of notes in the music.  The sound is full, round, dark, and warm.  Attention levels are high and focus is on par with what can be found in a battery.  They're not spending time on how to play, they're practicing being a great ensemble.  All of the things that require a full group is what they are working on.  This time of year, there is little in the way of electronics, etc., so they are sounding excellent in an old school way.  The book is tough.  They're hardly clean, but it's within their grasp to master it.  Once school is done and they are able to devote the focus this book requires, it's going to be a treat for the audience.  Tempos are fast... like 195 b/m fast.  They are working on getting the music and M&M up to those tempos.  No one can claim they're not going for it.  I hope we get to see some old school fast drill moves, and that they get credit for what they attain.  <rant> That may be asking for too much from the politics in DCI visual judging.  </rant>

In summary, they are positioned to have a great competitive season.  Generally, to finish top 5, a corps needs to be highly competitive across all sections.  To be top 3, they need to be the best in at least one.  The staff is giving them the show they need.  The MMs will have that sweet/rare feeling that they can control what they achieve.  The MM's challenge for this season is to embrace that level of responsibility to the point where they thrive on it, while remaining undeterred by what happens outside of their control.    

Awesome review...thanks for that :)

"it is one thing to be great among the best, and it's an entirely new level to show the best new ways to be great."

Is that a personal quote?...that is outstanding...love it

• Like 1

Just now, Liahona said:

Awesome review...thanks for that :)

"it is one thing to be great among the best, and it's an entirely new level to show the best new ways to be great."

Is that a personal quote?...that is outstanding...love it

Lol, thank you.  I think I made it up, but could have been remembering it.  It definitely fits Boston this year.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ediker said:

Lol, thank you.  I think I made it up, but could have been remembering it.  It definitely fits Boston this year.  

Well that quote should be included in famous quotes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

prob should just contact corps directly

Yes..., thats what I suggested to him above  as well. 

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

Agree with Liahona, nicely written review, Ediker. I share your overall assessment for the most part here too.

Its the beginning of May. Lots and lots of work to do. But they appear to be right on schedule. Staff and marchers alike appear highly motivated, energized,  and ready for the challenge to be the best they all can be.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Liahona said:

year1buick found it...yep the internet is a beautiful thing....

https://dci-scores.tumblr.com/post/171456624229/teaser-trailer-for-boston-crusaders-2018

I smell some Sea Hawk, Conquest, maybe a little Captain of Castille, and a bunch of other music.

16 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I smell some Sea Hawk, Conquest, maybe a little Captain of Castille, and a bunch of other music.

I would not complain about conquest and captain considering that's what I played in 90 with them...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I would not complain about conquest and captain considering that's what I played in 90 with them...

Oh yea, that's  quintessential Boston for me.