2017 Open Class Championships - Aug 8

Music City = NO CLASS

In a most disrespectful way, Music City did not honor the Open Class Champions by leaving the field. Not only did they not clear the field they started to play on the field. This is not their moment. It was Vanguard Cadets. If any one was to play, it should have been SCVC. Instead the champs left the field and went to the corps parking area and treated everyone to their corps song."Send in the Clowns". It was very beautiful and full of emotion. Bravo to SCVC for being a class act.

Shame on you Music City. Perhaps one day you'll understand.

Santa Clara usually plays back at their trucks.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

Music City = NO CLASS

In a most disrespectful way, Music City did not honor the Open Class Champions by leaving the field. Not only did they not clear the field they started to play on the field. This is not their moment. It was Vanguard Cadets. If any one was to play, it should have been SCVC. Instead the champs left the field and went to the corps parking area and treated everyone to their corps song."Send in the Clowns". It was very beautiful and full of emotion. Bravo to SCVC for being a class act.

It's not just SCVC's moment. Yes they won and deserved everything they got. But that moment belonged to every single person and corps standing on the field. All of them put in the same amount of time and sweat to put their best show on the field tonight. All of them needed to enjoy the moment, cry, take pictures, and get one last memory with the people they bonded with before they go home and never see them again. So what if music city played their corps song on the field, any corps could have done it. Save all the negativity for another night, let everyone enjoy what they have worked so hard for.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 3

Back at the hotel after another beautiful evening of drum corps. So many great moments with these performers, staff, and supporters. Wish I had time to share them all. Thanks to everyone for the positive posts. For those looking ahead to 2018, If you have the opportunity, it's worth the trip!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nuts4DC said:

I left right after the last score was announced and didn't hear this. However, two or three other corps were being obnoxious during the awards ceremony, shouting out random things at the quiet moments, i.e., when people were receiving their awards. I'm not absolutely sure which ones, so I won't name names (except that I don't think Music City or Vanguard Cadets was one of them).

In my experience, there is no champions' encore at Michigan City, I think on the grounds that the winner gets to play their show before the World Class Finals start.

• Like 2

That was a hard show to call. (Harder still for Brad Bell to literally call, with that microphone at the beginning.) I did think Southwind would jump Guardians, but I also thought that 7th Regiment, Gold, and Louisiana Stars would be closer to one another, that The Company would be slightly higher, that Spartans would be farther behind Music City, that Music City, who had their best night ever, would be even closer to Legends than they were, and that Blue Devils B, whose show I personally like less than I do Vanguard Cadets', gave a whale of a performance tonight and would be real tight with the champions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

However, two or three other corps were being obnoxious during the awards ceremony, shouting out random things at the quiet moments, i.e., when people were receiving their awards. I'm not absolutely sure which ones, so I won't name names (except that I don't think Music City or Vanguard Cadets was one of them).

I know who it was, and I don't begrudge any of them. Enjoy the moment - they get so few, especially where they're all together like that.

Mike

• Like 2

Something I didn't realize until just now - SCVC had to relearn their entire show in a week. For an Open Class corps, that's really ambitious, but it paid off in the end. Here's the video proof:

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

12 hours ago, Nuts4DC said:

Music City = NO CLASS

I'm a Nashvillian so Music City is my home corps and I love them and hype them on a regular basis.  But I'm also a big fan of Open Class in general and have loved the crop of excellent corps this year, with a new "crush" on Southwind.  I wasn't going to comment on Nuts4DC's post but I feel compelled to.  First, I don't think MCDC was intentionally disrespectful because they are a very polite, grateful, thoughtful bunch who had one of their snare drummers die during spring move-ins.  They dedicated this season to Finis Sparkman and in particular, the finals show.  So, like all of the corps there, this was an emotional time for them and I think playing "The Tennessee Waltz" was a comforting thing for them to do.  I doubt that anyone told the corps "no celebrations, playing, etc. on the field after the awards - leave that for the gold medal winner."  If that had been the case, I'm sure they would have honored it.

This open class forum has been one of the "safe places" on DCP where, for the most part, comments have been encouraging about each corps.  Please, Nuts4DC, don't shame any of the open class corps again.  I'm very happy for SCVC and they were awesome and deserved every award they got.  But lets give some love to all those other corps who displayed such showmanship last night.  Peace, love, and positivity.

• Like 3

Future of Open Class..does anyone other than BDB or SC Cadets have any chance at winning Open in the future. Both of these corps will never move to World Class status. Where does this leave the other open class corps? Since 2008...

2008 SC Cadets

2009 BDB

2010 BDB

2011 BDB

2012 Ore. Crusaders

2013 SC Cadets

2014 BDB

2015 SC Cadets

2016 BDB

2017 SC Cadets

The lone non BD and SCV winner is OC who is now in World Class.

18 minutes ago, afd said:

Future of Open Class..does anyone other than BDB or SC Cadets have any chance at winning Open in the future. Both of these corps will never move to World Class status. Where does this leave the other open class corps? Since 2008...

2008 SC Cadets

2009 BDB

2010 BDB

2011 BDB

2012 Ore. Crusaders

2013 SC Cadets

2014 BDB

2015 SC Cadets

2016 BDB

2017 SC Cadets

The lone non BD and SCV winner is OC who is now in World Class.

Well I know Music City is currently under evaluation for World Class, so they'll probably be in World Class by 2019 or 2020 if it doesn't happen for 2018.  Over the years the gap between 2nd and 3rd has shrunk quite a bit in the last two years, since 2013 when OC moved the spread has gone:

• 2013 - 4.15 (Genesis)
  • 2014 - 3.75 (Genesis)
  • 2015 - 4.6 (Spartans)
  • 2016 - 2.35 (Legends)
  • 2017 - 2.375 (Legends)

It seems to me though as soon as organizations do get strong enough to begin to compete with them they do move up to World Class, Genesis last year and Oregon Crusaders in 2012 being those examples.  With what happened at Legends this summer financially, I suspect they probably won't be moving up to World Class even if they had planned to for a good few years.  If they don't have to scale back or do things that change what the product on the field is they might be able to down the road.  And if Music City stays down one more year and reapplies for World Class status I have a feeling they'll be even more ambitious with their show design and content with probably improved recruitment next year.  They exploded this year in terms of quality in design and performance, around 5 - 6 points better.  

But it's hard to compete with two corps who are essentially World Class corps with smaller tours and attached to monster parent organizations.  That's definitely not a slight at them, it's no wonder they're that successful when they have that and the kind of talent they're drawing.  

• Like 2