Some Random Thoughts from DCI Buffalo 2017

These are some of my random thoughts and observations from the 50 yard line at the DCI Buffalo show this past Sunday - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in no particular order...

Smoke 'em if you got "em and please feel free to talk amongst yourselves....

-- As always, great to see old friends at the show in Buffalo!

-- "Blue" seemed to be the color of the night -- Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Bluecoats and Blue Devils

-- There seemed to be 3 levels of competition out there-- The one between Blue Devils and Santa Clara then a slight gap down to the one between Bluecoats and Caroilna Crown then a bigger     gap down and almost a Pick 'em between Cadets, Blue Knights, Phantom Regiment and Blue Stars -- I thought Phantom deserved a higher score and were the best of this group

-- Last year it seemed to me that shows that were a blend of both old and new school drum corps which I really liked -- This year it felt more like new school again

-- I have to admit it -- For the time in over 40 years of either competing against them or just watching them as a fan, I wasn't bored to death watching The Phantom Regiment...I enjoyed their show and really liked their uniforms

*  Speaking of Phantom Regiment -- 

2 HUGE thumbs up to their Color Guard! --They were simply fabulous!...I thought they were the best Color Guard out there...I couldn't take my eyes off them and this coming from a former drummer who usually just focuses on the drum lines for the most part (lol) ...Those girls didn't stop the whole show! -- Congratulations on a great performance!

* My only minor knock against the guard would be that the first set of flags that they used in the show (orange and black) were kind of dull and didn't enhance their flag work the same way that the more eye catching and colorful flags that they used the rest of the show did

-- Was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the Blue Knights drum line...Great job Mike Jackson and all drum staff!

-- Whoever the idiot was that came up with and designed The Cadets show should be fired!...

Just another example of some delusional, self serving show designer trying impress the "Drum Corps World" with what a great visionary they are instead of thinking --

Hmmm??... What can we come up with that will not only be high energy, highly entertaining and fun to watch but will also be a showcase for all the great talent of the marching members??... Believe me, whatever the answer to that question was -- This isn't it!....It's the total opposite!...Instead of "Rebirth" -- It should be a complete "Re Do!" 

You would have to think that there had to be some staff members and instructors that said if we go thru with this idea-- I quit!...But, I guess not??

-- The Off the Line set up and drum intro of the Blue Devils show this year reminds me of the Bluecoats from a couple of years back

* Speaking of the Blue Devils Off the Line --

Gotta love and be impressed with the 16 snares ( which includes Quad and Bass drummers ) playing drum intro from Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor to kick start the show ...Also, loved the Old School feel from all rifles spinning as they come off the Line!

-- Can we please stop with all the voice overs and singing that is part of a lot of corps shows already!...I say that not because I'm Old School or anything like that -- I say it because it's confusing, distracting and most of all -- boring!... Here's an idea -- Do something that is high energy and entertaining that will get the crowd behind you -- Don't leave the fans scratching their heads thinking -- "What the hell is going on here?" or "What the hell was that??"

A fan shouldn't have to be in on the staff production meetings to know what's going on in the show -- We want to cheer for you -- Help us to do that!

-- Getting back to Garfield --  Sorry, The Cadets -- I didn't time it but it seemed to me that their Horn Line probably didn't play a note for at least 4 or 5 mins of their 12 min show

-- Hats off to the Santa Clara staff who decided that "just" being a Top 5 Corps isn't good enough anymore...They broke tradition and changed with times a little bit for them and went with a more jazzier sounding show...Looks like it might pay off for them as they are very serious contenders to win their first Title since I think 1999...

-- I liked Bluecoats show but I don't think it's good enough to repeat them as Champions this year...Always a big fan of their Drum Line!

-- Crown's Horn Line sounded was crisp and clean as always...The Drum Line which is usually lags a little behind their Horn Line and Guard were pretty good...Didn't think the Corps overall show was as good as it has been the last few years though

-- I like Blue Stars uniforms so much better nowadays

-- After watching all the Corps, I really thought Santa Clara put on the best performance of the night and were going to stop Blue Devils winning streak -- Shows you how much I know (lol)

-- Finally, a very big thank you to DCI for the shout out over the PA system during the show -- Acknowledging the distinguishing 40th anniversary of our Drum Line winning Top Drums at the 1977 DCI Prelims but unfortunately our Corps not making Finals that year -- A feat never accomplished before or after that year in any caption

That's all Folks!

Duz Ga Duz

Edited by oaklandcrusader
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mfrontz said:

So funny. I would reverse your sentiment about Cadets and Phantom shows. We all want everyone to do well, but we all have such different tastes and opinions...dare I say insights?

Well, he's a guy.  One guy friend of mine said he wanted a smoke after watching PR. 

• Like 3

Lol Wigwam and Terri...

I calls them as I sees them!

:12_slight_smile:

Edited by oaklandcrusader
  • Like 1

I agree mfrontz...

I want all the corps to do well too!...I just feel sorry for the marching members especially, the Overagers -- Can you imagine ending your marching career on that? lol