Historic Possibilities?

2 hours ago, ElSuarez said:

So going in to finals last year there were a lot of possibilities that were historic in nature. These included Bluecoats 1st championship, their completion of earning all finals positions, 1st championship for the state of Ohio, Academy's 1st top 12 appearance and 1st for the state of Arizona, the end of BD's stranglehold on the CG caption award and the possible end of Boston's long standing run as a finalist.

This year not so much. Assuming placements remain relatively the same as they are going in- There will be no new finalists, no corps is going for its highest placement ever, all corps have achieved their likely placement in previous years (this won't even be the 1st year that happened- it happened in 2012), this exact same group of finalist have been the top 12 in previous years- it happened in 2014 and again in 2015, and it does not look like any group will be winning a caption award for the first time.

Other than a return to a Californian top two- last occurred in 1986 with BD 1st and SCV 2nd and 1981 with SCV 1st and BD 2nd (didn't count the '99 tie), Cadets worst finals placement since 1981 and the slight possibility that this year's top 3 will break the record of slimmest score margin between medalists (.55 record set in 1980 by BD, 27 and Bridgemen) what other outcomes of historical could we see this week?

...other than! 

If SCV goes on to win drums (as many expect)... it will be their 13th Sanford overall, moving them into a tie with the Blue Devils for most all time.

If Crown  goes on to medal, it will be their 6th overall, breaking a tie with the Madison Scouts for 6th on the all-time medal list.

If the Blue Devils win, it will be the 9th time that you could say they won 3 out of the past 4 years.... yet amazingly they have still yet to three-peat!

Edited by Tez
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

If Boston Crusaders remain in 6th, they will achieve their highest placement since 2003.

The Blue Knights' Erie show score, 90.6, is tied for their second-highest pre-Prelims score in corps history. Their current highest score of all time is 92.5, achieved in 1999, with 2000 a close second at 92.0, followed by 2015 with 91.85. There's a very real possibility BK may earn one of their highest scores ever by Finals.

Should Madison miss Finals (unlikely, but you never know), it will be the first time in corps history they will have missed two Finals in a row.

Blue Knight's highest score ever is actually 93.4 in 1999 Quarterfinals (placing 5th, their highest championships placement). Their highest Finals score is the 92.5 in 1999 you mentioned. Their highest finals placement is 6th, in 2000 and 2015.

Pretty sure the Mandarins are breaking their highest score ever with every increase they get now. 

There was a topic last year(?) about the highest score ever for each placement. I can't seem to find it, but I think it would be interesting to see if any of those might be beaten this season.

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I'm sure this has been stated dozens of times, but when was the last time Boston finished ahead of Cadets? Sorry for asking again.

July 1980

Since it has been mentioned a couple times in this thread, here is the highest score (at finals) for each position:

1st - 99.650 - Blue Devils 2014
2nd - 98.525 - Blue Devils 2004
3rd - 97.700 - Blue Devils 1998
4th - 96.850 - Santa Clara Vanguard 2013
5th - 95.675 - Carolina Crown 2014
6th - 95.300 - Star of Indiana 1989
7th - 94.050 - Bluecoats 2007
8th - 91.900 - Blue Stars 2010
9th - 90.525 - Boston Crusaders 2004
10th - 89.100 - Suncoast Sound 1988
11th - 87.700 - Glassmen 2005
12th - 86.225 - Crossmen 2014

I can see one of the 8th-11th scores being a new high this year.

• Like 4

Someone on reddit said if SCV wins drums itll be the first time a Rennick line wins the Sanford on a odd year. I know thats scraping the bottom of the barrel but it's the only thing I could think of.

On the oft chance that SCV takes the gold on Saturday, how many times (if ever) have SCV and Vanguard Cadets both took 1st in their respective divisions in the same season?

• Like 1

anything interesting in the subcaption scene (not that other people should do my homework, I'm sure i'll get around to investigating).

basing this perspective off of the combined Allentown recap, which is both relevant and not:

-if BD wins, how many corps have won without taking any music subcaptions? has anybody ever done that besides BD?

- If SCV wins without raising its brass score, what's the scope on 'lowest caption placements of winning corps'? SCV could *conceivably* fall to 5th and still win, but that won't rival Crown's 6th place drums in 13.  

-unlikely but possible, if Coats overtake Crown via GE but Crown still wins music: has a corps ever won the overall Music Caption but not medaled?

theory discussion: when putting sports into historical perspective for these types of discussion, Baseball defines itself by equipment changes, basketball uses the shotclock and 3pt shot to define the modern era. I think comparing 70's DCI scores to modern scores is faulty for several reasons. so what is the 'modern' era of drum corps for the sake of contextual historic discussion? My gut instinct is to start it at 2005.

13 minutes ago, 31rabbit said:

-if BD wins, how many corps have won without taking any music subcaptions? has anybody ever done that besides BD?

- If SCV wins without raising its brass score, what's the scope on 'lowest caption placements of winning corps'? SCV could *conceivably* fall to 5th and still win, but that won't rival Crown's 6th place drums in 13.  

-unlikely but possible, if Coats overtake Crown via GE but Crown still wins music: has a corps ever won the overall Music Caption but not medaled?

if BD wins, how many corps have won without taking any music subcaptions? has anybody ever done that besides BD?
*3 day average Placements: 2016 Bluecoats

If SCV wins without raising its brass score, what's the scope on 'lowest caption placements of winning corps'? SCV could *conceivably* fall to 5th and still win, but that won't rival Crown's 6th place drums in 13.
*3 day average Placements: 2001 Cavaliers 4th in Brass, 2006 Cavaliers 4th in Percussion,2007 BD 5th in Guard, 2008 Phantom 5th in Visual Ensemble, 2010 BD 4th in Percussion, 2015 BD 5ht in Music Analysis

unlikely but possible, if Coats overtake Crown via GE but Crown still wins music: has a corps ever won the overall Music Caption but not medaled?
*2015 Cadets