Carolina Gold ?

Any one hearing anything on Carolina Gold ,very quiet .Anyone seen them .

They had one DCA show cancelled in GA.  Normally they would have done DCI Southeast at the Georgiadome, but with the new stadium not ready they didn't have room for them at the smaller DCI Atlanta this year.  They asked Crown if they could go to Nightbeat to at least get a show in between early July and the end of August, and they have helped Crown in the past, but Crown had 14 corps lined up for Nightbeat. So Gold will only have 3 judged shows before finals only 2 of those DCA   They will be at Reading teh week before finals.  They want to do more shows but it costs a lot to travel up North.  This has been a tough year getting scores for most corps outside of the NorthEast.

• Like 2

Facebook page seems reasonably active. (At least, they have posted in the past week or so.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

11 hours ago, totaleefree said:

They had one DCA show cancelled in GA.  Normally they would have done DCI Southeast at the Georgiadome, but with the new stadium not ready they didn't have room for them at the smaller DCI Atlanta this year.  They asked Crown if they could go to Nightbeat to at least get a show in between early July and the end of August, and they have helped Crown in the past, but Crown had 14 corps lined up for Nightbeat. So Gold will only have 3 judged shows before finals only 2 of those DCA   They will be at Reading teh week before finals.  They want to do more shows but it costs a lot to travel up North.  This has been a tough year getting scores for most corps outside of the NorthEast.

it's been a challenge up here with 3 shows cancelled

I really don't think many people in the north east understand the financial burden it is for a drum corps from outside that area to compete on a weekly or even monthly basis. There was a grand total of 1 DCA contest down here in the south this year. That would be our home show on the 27th of this month. We are sure to lose our shirt on this event with only two corps competing but we must have that event in order to insure that Southern Knights and CV get one final seeding number going into finals week. We can not expect the paying public to shell out the normal ticket price just to see two corps so we are having to cut our admission price in half. So, what is a tremendous fundraising opportunity for most drum corps becomes a liability for us...that being hosting a show. Even our show would be a tremendous burden on Gold as it is still an 8 hour drive for them.

We spend about $25,000 every time we travel up north to compete. That is a huge financial drain on any organization. Not complaining, just stating a fact. All of us down here have to make decisions based on financial stability and viability on a daily basis and often those decisions mean that our drum corps doesn't get the exposure we would like. Yes, I understand that every organization has to make tough decisions, but add to those day to day burdens a travel budget that is increasingly exorbitant and it becomes very clear that something has to give. CV is fortunate that at least we have a couple of DCI events that we can attend locally but Gold doesn't have that available to them. Hence, they may fly under the radar for a while.

We will all be together shortly and none of this will matter as we will do what this circuit is all about and that is meet on the field in the spirit of competition and give it everything we have. Looking forward to seeing all my friends with Gold as well as those from all the other corps. I have nothing but respect for ANYONE that has the hairbrained idea of trying to run a drum corps in today's challenging environment.

Best of luck to everyone and I can't wait to see you all.

Dan

• Like 7

hopefully the regions can stabilize and grow, especially without having to be dependent on DCI for gigs. Even up here the cheapness has worn off....Jersey to Erie aint cheap

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan Detweiler said:

I really don't think many people in the north east understand the financial burden it is for a drum corps from outside that area to compete on a weekly or even monthly basis. There was a grand total of 1 DCA contest down here in the south this year. That would be our home show on the 27th of this month. We are sure to lose our shirt on this event with only two corps competing but we must have that event in order to insure that Southern Knights and CV get one final seeding number going into finals week. We can not expect the paying public to shell out the normal ticket price just to see two corps so we are having to cut our admission price in half. So, what is a tremendous fundraising opportunity for most drum corps becomes a liability for us...that being hosting a show. Even our show would be a tremendous burden on Gold as it is still an 8 hour drive for them.

We spend about $25,000 every time we travel up north to compete. That is a huge financial drain on any organization. Not complaining, just stating a fact. All of us down here have to make decisions based on financial stability and viability on a daily basis and often those decisions mean that our drum corps doesn't get the exposure we would like. Yes, I understand that every organization has to make tough decisions, but add to those day to day burdens a travel budget that is increasingly exorbitant and it becomes very clear that something has to give. CV is fortunate that at least we have a couple of DCI events that we can attend locally but Gold doesn't have that available to them. Hence, they may fly under the radar for a while.

We will all be together shortly and none of this will matter as we will do what this circuit is all about and that is meet on the field in the spirit of competition and give it everything we have. Looking forward to seeing all my friends with Gold as well as those from all the other corps. I have nothing but respect for ANYONE that has the hairbrained idea of trying to run a drum corps in today's challenging environment.

Best of luck to everyone and I can't wait to see you all.

Dan

Why isisnt Gold Doing the Southern Showdown? Or are they Identifying as a NE corps again??? 

Back in Jan when things were being planned Gold probably thought they would have a chance at DCI SouthEast,, and they had planned doing Alliances DCA show. They still did the DCI/DCA Show in the ATL area. So they thought 3 ATL shows maybe, going to  Southern SHowdown would have been 4 trips to ATL which is only slightly shorter trip than going to Reading. The MD show was less travel than going to ATL.  Not knocking CVs show, I know that they have put a lot into making a good show happen in the south for many years, but the Reading show will have a much larger crowd to perform in front of.  Also it helps them get acclimated for Rochester Weather. 

• Like 2