Carolina Gold ?

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I continue to believe the Winston-Salem championship idea was worth a try. Just might have led to a wider audience base by now.  Oh, well.  :35_thinking:

I think our right on this one Fred ,Was just looking at some foto;s from DCA Allentown staduim packed end zone to end zone ,Haven;t seen crowds like that in a long time .Last DCA i when to was 2008 Rochester from Long Island almost a 10 hour drive ,I said never again and have not come back.

Edited by Florida Sun
added more

9 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I continue to believe the Winston-Salem championship idea was worth a try. Just might have led to a wider audience base by now.  Oh, well.  :35_thinking:

Don't think so. I brought my corps to that show, the hosts were wonderful and the show was run well but the crowd was small, really small for the venue, imo .

I really hope drum corps can grow down here. If there were more opportunities to stay in the area before going north for final (which going back to Annapolis would help relieve some burden) then more corps may pop up. I'd love to get back into drum corps, I haven't performed since 2005, but most corps are just too far away for me to participate in, especially juggling work and 3 kids with their activities. CGold is only about 2 hours at most from me, but that $1300 fee is way out of my budget, and I've never been good at fundraising.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HBD said:

Don't think so. I brought my corps to that show, the hosts were wonderful and the show was run well but the crowd was small, really small for the venue, imo .

At this point, a decade later, we'll never really be sure what could have been. I still believe a healthy seed was planted there. Just never had a chance to flower. :12_slight_smile:

Good luck at Rochester!

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

At this point, a decade later, we'll never really be sure what could have been. I still believe a healthy seed was planted there. Just never had a chance to flower. :12_slight_smile:

Good luck at Rochester!

Well thank god ,and good bye Rochester,on to Williamsport next year ,see what that brings out .Should bring out the fan\s of the Pa.corps and Jersey .

• Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 8:07 AM, Legoman said:

I really hope drum corps can grow down here. If there were more opportunities to stay in the area before going north for final (which going back to Annapolis would help relieve some burden) then more corps may pop up. I'd love to get back into drum corps, I haven't performed since 2005, but most corps are just too far away for me to participate in, especially juggling work and 3 kids with their activities. CGold is only about 2 hours at most from me, but that $1300 fee is way out of my budget, and I've never been good at fundraising.

This is pretty much everyone outside the Northeast and heck, people FROM the Northeast. 

It's an expensive activity.  You have to have a group that wants to do it.  If the activity were to grow, you could have a DCA South, DCA West, etc and everyone meets at finals.  

Look back a decade ago.  I, like you @Legoman, kinda go back to the 2005 year.  I've been active here and there since, but 2005 was at Finals.  The minicorps event was an event.  Renegades, SoCal, MBI, HeatWave, Kilties, the list goes on of corps from OUTSIDE the NE.  There's only a couple left.  

So what can be done?  I'm on board and want to make the activity grow.  

On 8/11/2017 at 8:41 AM, Fred Windish said:

Good luck at Rochester!

the ticket prices in for a 6 corps show in 05 was outrageous if you were going to recruit people who didnt know about DCA. the monster truck show across the street had 6 times the attendance

I went to Crowns show in Winston Salem a few weeks ago, It was packed over 10,000 filling the stands. I thought to myself what if DCA had caught on in NC back a decade ago. Back then there were 2 Florida Corps, Alliance and CV going strong in ATL there was a Nashville Corps  Could having a full DCA champs there have revitalized DCA South. I was in Iraq at the time perfecting my waterboarding techniques so that I would be able to deal with folks on DCP a decade later so I didn't go nor really talk to any principals involved with that show. However at that same time there were several strong corps in Upstate NY The Crusaders, Empire Statesman, and the Brigadiers., at least 16 of the past 20 DCA Championships have been held in Upstate NY and it didn't save those corps or make many new one flourish. Having champships held there may have helped White Sabres, but no huge movement of New York Corps happened because all of DCA came to NY for Labor day weekend.  I think maybe the stadium in WS was too big for DCA, 5,000 in attendance would have a half empty stadium.  From what I heard from people who were there it rained that weekend and it dampened peoples spirits and that may have affected attendance. Also it was a July show, and you can't really compare mid season turnout to what would would happen a championships.   

I know I am kinda random here but thoughts are coming in a weird order. When I was watching practices in Winston Salem most of the corps were practicing on baseball fields with  lines drawn on them by the corps. I spoke to two of the band directors from the schools being used and they said they had to fight hard to allow the corps to use their schools at all for fear of a football field being damaged in late July.  Fortunately there was pressure from the tourist people and school board that let them use the schools.  If it took a lot of work to secure practice sites late July for one morning of practice  I imagine it would be majorly difficult to secure practice facilities after school has begun and once football is in season and actually needs fields to use. 3 days of using a practice field would probably drive the Football coaches nuts and the band directors said they drive the train in that area.

One good thing is that Gold after taking a year off after that experiment got back on its feet, managed to win a class A title a few years later and hosted 2 greatly scaled back DCA shows in NC. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

I went to Crowns show in Winston Salem a few weeks ago, It was packed over 10,000 filling the stands. I thought to myself what if DCA had caught on in NC back a decade ago.

I was closer to that endeavor than most. Some miscalculations were made early on by the sponsoring group, and in typical, laid back Southern Style, some items too slow to develop. But, overall, there were good "bones" there to create a better situation than what was being found in Scranton. Essentially, the DCA leadership was a little afraid to chance the status quo, I think. It chose the "known already." The safe option. That's fine.

16 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I was closer to that endeavor than most. Some miscalculations were made early on by the sponsoring group, and in typical, laid back Southern Style, some items too slow to develop. But, overall, there were good "bones" there to create a better situation than what was being found in Scranton. Essentially, the DCA leadership was a little afraid to chance the status quo, I think. It chose the "known already." The safe option. That's fine.

The voting corps themselves vote on such matters, not the officers,.........................I can't wait to see attendance explode next year in Williamsport.....................