Carolina Gold ?

14 minutes ago, Gary Matczak said:

The voting corps themselves vote on such matters, not the officers,.........................I can't wait to see attendance explode next year in Williamsport.....................

Oh, it will. The joint was about 80% full last night for a 4-corps show, and the audience was very appreciative of every corps. Seems the whole hospitality industry is super-stoked for next year - Desk person at my hotel congratulated me on Cabs' win last night (like the souvie guy had anything to do with that - LOL, but thanks!) on seeing my Cabs shirt this morning, and the bar manager at the Genetti last night had a very well-infomed convo about drum corps and next year's DCA with us.

Starting to feel like Williamsport was a great decision on DCA's part.

18 hours ago, ErieSopMike said:

This is pretty much everyone outside the Northeast and heck, people FROM the Northeast. 

It's an expensive activity.  You have to have a group that wants to do it.  If the activity were to grow, you could have a DCA South, DCA West, etc and everyone meets at finals.  

Look back a decade ago.  I, like you @Legoman, kinda go back to the 2005 year.  I've been active here and there since, but 2005 was at Finals.  The minicorps event was an event.  Renegades, SoCal, MBI, HeatWave, Kilties, the list goes on of corps from OUTSIDE the NE.  There's only a couple left.  

So what can be done?  I'm on board and want to make the activity grow.  

Texas was doing well for a while ,Frontier,Gulf Coast Sound ,but that didn\t last long even to complete against each other was a trip .and to try to do DCA south ,forget it ,Saved thier moneys to do DCA in Rochca .It was a great begening for Texas but never grew .

Edited by Florida Sun
correction

The local crowd has been surprisingly strong there. That region's a hotbed for competitive bands, the school district at one time had what was considered one of the 4 best overall school music programs in the US.

The Stadium could use a couple of things. Better restrooms would be nice.

• Like 1

I sure hope Williamsport is a good fit. Gotta find out!

Unless there's been recent additional grandstand construction, it should be plenty easy to sell out. Possibly, the smallest front side seating capacity since DCA was created in 1965. Event expenses could be much less, who knows?

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

I sure hope Williamsport is a good fit. Gotta find out!

Unless there's been recent additional grandstand construction, it should be plenty easy to sell out. Possibly, the smallest front side seating capacity since DCA was created in 1965. Event expenses could be much less, who knows?

Milford Ct. was not big ,they posted pics on here of Williamport one time not sure if there still posted ..

18 minutes ago, Florida Sun said:

Milford Ct. was not big ,they posted pics on here of Williamport one time not sure if there still posted ..

Yes, Milford was quite small. Smaller than Williamsport. I probably should have worded that remark differently.  Actually, Milford will probably remain the smallest championship site forever!

I've been using Google aerial views of Williamsport to assess its potential. It appears smaller in front side capacity than every past location but Milford. I'll estimate Williamsport at between 3500-4000 available seats.  There were rumors of new construction soon. Maybe that's been started. Jeff Ream will know that status. But, the new concrete curbing and drainage installed recently gives a fairly good idea where anything new will go.  There are several "space" issues at Williamsport that will need to be overcome. Hopefully, very soon.

Just over 4,000 at Billtown as is. Sounds like the current plan is additional ten bleachers for next year.

Hopefully better solution by '19.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Just over 4,000 at Billtown as is. Sounds like the current plan is additional ten bleachers for next year.

Hopefully better solution by '19.

What's the highest seating like there .if i recall from photos not much.

6 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

Texas was doing well for a while ,Frontier,Gulf Coast Sound ,but that didn\t last long even to complete against each other was a trip .and to try to do DCA south ,forget it ,Saved thier moneys to do DCA in Rochca .It was a great begening for Texas but never grew .

I guess it's just something I wish to see grow again (like others).  I know there's a lot of enthusiasts out there.  CV is hanging in there, so they could be a "model" corps for the South.  I guess I'm just dreaming big that if enough groups came along in a timely enough fashion, that things could potentially work out.  

Also, for those that say about distance, with the absence of corps in the Rochester area, groups like the Erie Thunderbirds are travelling pretty far for competitions.  They went out to the Kilties show the other year I believe.  Not exactly a short trip for a "northeast" corps (if they counted them as that.. Gary M. would know better).  Cin Trad is making a decent haul for their shows.  

If anyone wants my help, I may not have all the answers, but I'm sure willing to do some work to help get some groups going again.

53 minutes ago, ErieSopMike said:

I guess it's just something I wish to see grow again (like others).  I know there's a lot of enthusiasts out there.  CV is hanging in there, so they could be a "model" corps for the South.  I guess I'm just dreaming big that if enough groups came along in a timely enough fashion, that things could potentially work out.  

Also, for those that say about distance, with the absence of corps in the Rochester area, groups like the Erie Thunderbirds are travelling pretty far for competitions.  They went out to the Kilties show the other year I believe.  Not exactly a short trip for a "northeast" corps (if they counted them as that.. Gary M. would know better).  Cin Trad is making a decent haul for their shows.  

If anyone wants my help, I may not have all the answers, but I'm sure willing to do some work to help get some groups going again.

Finals are never going to move out of THE NE because the voting block controls and dictates where it's held . And that is controlled by NE corps . Period !