Semifinals- who makes the cut

Prelims line ups are set and 25 corps make the cut for semifinals!

That automatically leaves room for 2 open class corps...but which world class groups will be sent home tomorrow missing semifinals? And which open class corps get a spot? 

AND does the company make semifinals? If they do how does this affect the schedule?

Forget the top 4- let's discuss the lower placing corps.

Edited by ThePlanets

It's going to be a fight for those bottom spots in semis......if scores hold from open class finals four world class corps (Genesis, Seattle, Surf, and Pioneer) could be bumped out. I would predict that Seattle, Surf and Pioneer do not make the cut and Vanguard Cadets, Blue Devils B, Legends, Music City, and Spartans make semis.

• Like 2

Definitely Vanguard Cadets, Blue Devils B, Legends, and Music City.  No offense to Jersey Surf and Pioneer.......but #### those four are REALLY good this year.  It's pretty hard to keep up with the pace Open Class is improving at.  

I think Seattle Cascades should make it in but it'll be a nail biter with Spartans who have made semifinals every year since they recombined World/Open Class at Prelims.  I think Seattle Cascades have their best show post 2009 this year, Open Class is again just exploding in quality and talent.  

I don't think Genesis has anything to worry about, loved Louisiana Stars but that's who would have to beat Genesis to make 6 Open Class corps in Semis happen and I don't see that happening.  I feel like Genesis is getting underscored, would love to see them get some big bumps over the next two days.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Prelims line ups are set and 25 corps make the cut for semifinals!

That automatically leaves room for 2 open class corps...but which world class groups will be sent home tomorrow missing semifinals? And which open class corps get a spot? 

AND does the company make semifinals? If they do how does this affect the schedule?

Forget the top 4- let's discuss the lower placing corps.

Semis use to be the top 17 making it. Kinda glad they extended this to 25. Good for the activity and performers for their last performance of the year.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, puntifex said:

The open class corps' scores will drop. They do every year. Spartans and Music City won't make it.

The drop off in scores is most pronounced for the lowest scoring corps. And both BDB (vs. OC Prelims and OC Finals) and Guardians (vs.OC Finals) had their scores go UP at WC Prelims last year.

The drop off also diminished significantly last year

- in 2015 the average OC score on Thursday was 93.38% of Tuesday Finals and 93.91% of Monday Prelims

- in 2016 those averages improved to 99.10% of Tuesday Finals and 97.61% of Monday Prelims - at 97.5% of their Finals scores, both Spartans and Music City would beat the best score achieved by Cascades this season.

Score drops were actually pretty light last year after being pretty extreme in 2015 and 2014, I think now they're just judging everyone with the same standards and on the same sheets without the stigma of oh this is an Open Class corps.  Last year we even saw some corps gain from Open Class finals to prelims (Blue Devils B and Guardians), so it should be interesting.  We will probably see a drop just because of numbers management for 40 corps in one day but I would be surprised to see anything over around 2 points, especially from the top 5 groups in Open Class who only decreased an average of 1.0655 if they decreased at all in 2016.  

25th last year was a 73.125, scoring overall seems higher this year so I'm guessing this year that'll be between a 74 and a 75.  Seattle Cascades improved 4 points from Allentown to Championships last year, if they do the same this year that will put them in the 76s which should be good enough to get them into Semifinals, but they only improved .2 in 2015 from Allentown to Championships so it's kind of a huge guessing game as to how much they could increase.  For Spartans, they dropped around a point and a half from Open Class finals to World Class prelims last year.  If you use that this year, that would put them around a mid 74.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2