Measure of success

"Measues of Success":

Your self esteem is/was in direct proportion to your placement at VFW, Legion, CYO, World Open, Bluegrass, Mid-America, DCA, and DCI Finals.     :guinesssmilie:

Elphaba     :flower:

No one seriously injured. The buses made it home before they broke down.

We did not accomplish the second item in 1967.

Edited by denverjohn
  • Like 1

Preface: In marketing, we define success as the pass/fail of a measurable goal (note that word measurable). And goals aren't meant to be made on the fly; they're individual checkpoints along a predetermined long-term strategic path.

Looking at the above, short answer would be "did we achieve our goal?" Yes = successful, no = something less than that (90% isn't 100%, but it's still an A; 70% isn't 100%, but it's still passing).

But it's important to remember that long term strategy component of the goal. Every answer above has merit, be it high scores, high placements, member experience or fan appreciation. And each of those things plays a super important role in corps longevity, which I think is the ultimate goal of every corps.

Above all, I think that member retention and the amount of new members auditioning is the ultimate indicator of a corps' long term success year to year, all of which is impacted by scores/placements/experience/fans. So honestly, my answer to define success is 1) whether or not more members return for auditions in November/December, and 2) did the number of new people auditioning increase. So by my definition, we'll know the success of the 2017 corps sometime in January of 2018.

5 hours ago, cowtown said:

did cowtown like your show, was he entertained?

really, that's all that matter 

I have to admit, this is a funny quip.. and with truth to it.

5 hours ago, ouooga said:

Preface: In marketing, we define success as the pass/fail of a measurable goal (note that word measurable). And goals aren't meant to be made on the fly; they're individual checkpoints along a predetermined long-term strategic path.

Looking at the above, short answer would be "did we achieve our goal?" Yes = successful, no = something less than that (90% isn't 100%, but it's still an A; 70% isn't 100%, but it's still passing).

But it's important to remember that long term strategy component of the goal. Every answer above has merit, be it high scores, high placements, member experience or fan appreciation. And each of those things plays a super important role in corps longevity, which I think is the ultimate goal of every corps.

Above all, I think that member retention and the amount of new members auditioning is the ultimate indicator of a corps' long term success year to year, all of which is impacted by scores/placements/experience/fans. So honestly, my answer to define success is 1) whether or not more members return for auditions in November/December, and 2) did the number of new people auditioning increase. So by my definition, we'll know the success of the 2017 corps sometime in January of 2018.

This, to me, is completely backwards.  You measure the success of this season by the level of participation next year?  That means every year's show is just a recruiting video for next year's corps.  This is the classic marketing mistake:  ignore your current customers to try and attract new ones.  How about you give your current customers a truly great experience and let them help sell new customers on you?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

This, to me, is completely backwards.  You measure the success of this season by the level of participation next year?  That means every year's show is just a recruiting video for next year's corps.  This is the classic marketing mistake:  ignore your current customers to try and attract new ones.  How about you give your current customers a truly great experience and let them help sell new customers on you?

That's chicken and egg. Do both, you'll succeed at both; ignore one, both fail. But yes, I do consider every season (not just the show, the entire experience) to be a recruiting video for next year's corps. That's the whole reason that experience is now blasted all over social media with every corps, to start to sell that behind the scenes part of the experience.

Hmm, were we successful?  As the Director,  I'd ask myself at least these questions:

Did the MM's have a positive experience?  Did the enjoy their show, food, transportation, instructors?

Did the audience and fans enjoy the show?

Will we retain MM',s Will we be able to recruit MM's?

Are we as financially solvent at the finish as were were when we started or ate least have the ability to recoup and reset the bank?

Were we better competitively this year than last?  That is a goal, to be better today than the day before.

Was the staff collaborative?  Did they play nice with everyone?  Should they be here next year?  IS there someone better available who can meet the org's growth plan if there is a definitive plan of course.

What or whom is holding the org back?

AM I a problem for this org?  ( the single least asked question no doubt)

IMO, there is no one thing.  There are many components that go into determining what a successful year was.  Success should be measured against the goals and objectives for the short term (the year) and for the long term (the org. itself) then take an honest look at everything.

• Like 1

I would conduct a retrospective and involve: Operations, Logistics, Staff, MM's, Souvie folks, Food crew, Medical staff, Social Media folks, Volunteers, anyone involved in making it happen and ask 3 questions. 

1) What should we keep doing? 

2) What should we start doing? 

3) What should we stop doing? 

Items or closely related items which receive the highest number of answers are what will be prioritized. 

Main goal is member experience - was it positive? 

Fiscal responsibility - were we good stewards? 

As a former Vet, we had a saying................... "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday".    Stands true in every day life, and Especially what the people that march do.