A Crowning Metaphor - Crown 2017, It Is?

Just now, Just Here said:

Here is how I choose to suck it up and move on. This will be the first year since 2004 that I will not be purchasing Crown's audio performance.

No disrespect to the singer, but if Crown had arranged the music program without her I'd seriously consider them for 1st place. 
Crown Brass would have carried the ballad just fine, and I'd love to hear No One To kNOW One with more brass (in place of vocals). The lyrics just don't work for me with the rest of the show.

• Like 2

This thread has changed......foooorr gooooddd :)

I agree that this show is controversial. I guess I don't know if I agree that it's difficult to understand anymore. It sounds like it's simply just about the football field having a different meaning/having changed bc of dci.

If that's true, does it make CC's show amazing? Lol, ehhhhhhh. But it does make it an easier show for me to swallow. It was bothering me since June that their show was about Crown changing to fit with the new standards set up for shows in DCI when nothing in the show seemed to point to that.

Edited by FancySnack
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

No disrespect to the singer, but if Crown had arranged the music program without her I'd seriously consider them for 1st place. 
Crown Brass would have carried the ballad just fine, and I'd love to hear No One To kNOW One with more brass (in place of vocals). The lyrics just don't work for me with the rest of the show.

I agree. I would love to hear No One to Know One with just that brass....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Good for you.

If more people do what I will do, what would happen to Crown over time??? You are entitled to your opinion about the show this year, but if you wish to defend it when other people critique it, come with something other than some overly dramatic emotional response.

Edited by Just Here

Just now, Just Here said:

I have no problem with the vocals at all. I think Crown overuses them this year. I think the show concept is as boring as it can be because it does not address a universal human condition and because there is really nothing deconstructive about it musically.

Geez dude. Stop insisting shows have to be about universal human conditions to be good. Did you like Tilt?

• Like 4

To me, the show on the field is either interesting, fun, thrilling, or mesmerizing; or it's not. Either good or bad can happen - again, for me - regardless of the scores, titles, themes, or dissertation-quality justifications for design. Southwind was one of my favorite shows of the year, and we have seen the last of them already. The Cadets are scoring well, performing masterfully, and yet the show turns me off. I've no idea what Vanguard is doing theme wise, but I don't care. It's load of fun to watch.

I don't think as many people would be discussing the merits of Crown's theme if it was simply a show that more people (or more DCP people) found entertaining. Like Inferno and Relentless. Same with Scouts this year. It's the show on the field that matters, whatever its elements. Often those elements come together beautifully for a lot of people; for some, they don't.

Why the debate? Some of us like some things, others of us don't. That's never going to change. Someone isn't "wrong" simply because they don't like your corps' music, drill, props, unis, or design philosophy.

After a brief description and back and forth about our personal preferences on an issue like singing (I like it in BAC, not so much in Crown), let's move on to important things. Like how many more half seconds Bluecoats horns play and move compared to Blue Devils. :whistle:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FancySnack said:

This thread has changed......foooorr gooooddd :)

I agree that this show is controversial. I guess I don't know if I agree that it's difficult to understand anymore. It sounds like it's simply just about the football field having a different meaning/having changed bc of dci.

If that's true, does it make CC's show amazing? Lol, ehhhhhhh. But it does make it an easier show for me to swallow. It was bothering me since June that their show was about Crown changing to fit with the new standards set up for shows in DCI when nothing in the show seemed to point to that.

I'm sorry but there is nothing about this Crown show that is the least bit controversial.

Bluecoats has owned controversial. Crown has owned neo-traditional. How can anyone say with a straight face that a singer is controversial when almost half of our finalists have at least one singer? If anything Cadets are controversial on many levels, and heck they have a choir.

This is my fundamental issue with this Crown show, it's not what the message of the show says it is. It's Crown being Crown...with a singer.