A Crowning Metaphor - Crown 2017, It Is?

1 minute ago, FancySnack said:

Geez dude. Stop insisting shows have to be about universal human conditions to be good. Did you like Tilt?

Tilt was not claiming to be deconstructive. Much of formal deconstruction is about the universal human condition. Tilt was not attempting to significantly dive into the realm of multiple layering of hermeneutics. When one claims that a show is about certain concepts, then it needs to live up to the standards of the concept. Tilt was an excellent shows whose desire seemed to be to entertain people, not make an significant interpretative statement.

49 minutes ago, Jast45 said:

This can add new sense to the singer as she sings "i have been changed for good." Because of drum corps, the football field has been changed for good. Bluecoats tilted it and now Crown is tearing it up.  i dont always need an interpretation of every moment but it is meaningful to me to add some insights and ideas each time i see it. i think the throwingg of the zeros ws added last night and the "torn up" Colts flag as well--so they do change the football field.

Yes.   What is cool about this "metaphor" is that all along, it has been the FOOTBALL FIELD that has been changed - and changed for good by drum corps.     Throughout drum corps competition, it's always seemed a bit out of place for many of us that it is BAND on a football field.   Drum Corps has turned the football field into a DRUM CORPS FIELD.  The football field has been CHANGED FOR GOOD.   Saying this, the Crown football helmet that we've seen a few times this year makes sense.

1 hour ago, FancySnack said:

Look, people also said Crown's Relentless show had  a "hard to follow story". Psh.

Do you really want something so basic and unconsidered so that you're just entertained? I like that there may be layered concepts you don't notice right away.

I hadn't thought of her as the field, yet. this whole time I've been hearing that this show is Crown talking about the "change" in drum corps, but it hasn't made any sense to me! The visuals like the football helmet tarp, the emphasis on yard markers and number. Why? How does that relate to DCI or Crown changing?

it doesn't. It's all about the field. 

Wow. It really would be exciting if that were the case. I especially like that at the end of prelims she falls and is replaced by a yard marker - kind of adds strength to your argument.

Looking forward to see what happens tonight. And keep an eye out for the drum major - it looks like he may be involved in the end sequence soon(?).

For the most part, a show stays fairly consistent in presentation from the beginning of the season to the end.   We anticipate the added layering, subtle drill changes, and an ending that is added in time for Allentown or Indy.  It's the basic formula and what we, as fans, have grown accustomed to.

To Crown's credit, they've adverstised that "It Is" will be continually evolving - all the way up to, and including finals night.   Very telling that in the designer's pod cast, they state they knew what the show on "Saturday Night" would be from the very beginning.  I think it is pretty cool that we get to enjoy that ride all way to the end.  And, by the way, the podcast also suggested that the show is "It Is - dot, dot, dot" - meaning that it is quite possible that we can expect a continuation of the change PAST Saturday night and into NEXT season.  I find that very interesting.

23 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

So many of you focused on the singer this year, you're allowing it to consume you. You have such a huge predisposition to choirs and singers that you let it affect the outcome before you even sample the sauce, kinda like my kids and veggies. They're so convinced they're going to hate them that they have no desire to try them (note - I hate veggies as well).

That said, we get it, 70% of you hate the vocals, hate the vocalist, or some version of the two. That's fine. In fact, I'm pretty certain that Crown's design team could care less and have no plans to change the show between now and tomorrow. Hell, even the Cadets and Boston are using vocals extremely well! So you have two choices, suck it up and deal with it, or just move on. Those of us that enjoy the show, LOVE IT!!! Couldn't be happier with it! Woo hoo!! Yay Team Anna!!

Agreed.   My thinking for this thread was not to focus so much on whether folks like the singer or not - there's already been much written on that - rather, what you all see in the show and how you may feel about the metaphoric concept of what Crown is attempting to convey.   I don't think it's one size fits all.  That's kind of the artistic beauty of this year's production.

• Like 3

To Crown's credit, they've adverstised that "It Is" will be continually evolving - all the way up to, and including finals night.   Very telling that in the designer's pod cast, they state they knew what the show on "Saturday Night" would be from the very beginning.  I think it is pretty cool that we get to enjoy that ride all way to the end.  And, by the way, the podcast also suggested that the show is "It Is - dot, dot, dot" - meaning that it is quite possible that we can expect a continuation of the change PAST Saturday night and into NEXT season.  I find that very interesting.

---

Ironically, this show has changed among the least from beginning to end of all the medal contenders.

It changed less than the last two Crown programs.

There are at least six finalists whose shows changed demonstrably more than this Crown show...albeit perhaps not for the better.

So, no, I'm sorry, that's revisionist history. 

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Ironically, this show has changed among the least from beginning to end of all the medal contenders.

I love the arguments of my corps does/doesn't do this, yeah well my corps does/doesn't do this so it's better. Not attacking you personally Mike because every one has done it but always gets a chuckle out of me when I read these arguments.

Alright off to Lucas Oil to enjoy 25 great shows!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

I love the arguments of my corps does/doesn't do this, yeah well my corps does/doesn't do this so it's better. Not attacking you personally Mike because every one has done it but always gets a chuckle out of me when I read these arguments.

Alright off to Lucas Oil to enjoy 25 great shows!

Right on, it's so revisionist.

1 minute ago, Corps_Efan said:

Just came from Lucas Oil last night - Crown had standing Ovations  - 3 of them DURING THEIR SHOW! 

True. So, the show may be resonating more with fans as the integration of the concept is coming through more apparent to the fans in seats.    What this thread is about, though, is a disussion of the show concept and meaning, now that it has become clearer that the Anna, the vocalist, represents and expresses a metaphor that is important to "getting" the show.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

True. So, the show may be resonating more with fans as the integration of the concept is coming through more apparent to the fans in seats.    What this thread is about, though, is a disussion of the show concept and meaning, now that it has become clearer that the Anna, the vocalist, represents and expresses a metaphor that is important to "getting" the show.  

Or they just liked the show. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Or they just liked the show. 

Yeah. People going nuts for that first brass hit ain't about Deconstruction. :babies:

• Like 1

I actually like the possibility of this theme. .

Having hosted both the Blue Devils and Carolina Crown this year, I have been able to see the rehearsals up close and personal. I might even suggest that the themes of the two shows are eerily similar. The idea that Crown is showing the "Change" of the field is a "Metamorph" into something different.  "It Is" possible that they are the same idea shown in two totally different styles.

Both shows are about change while giving respect to the past.

Or am I way off base?  Either way, I love both shows and am glad there is a good chance that both will medal tomorrow night.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1