Segmentation: How DCI Has Gotten More Complicated... And Less Difficult

2 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Please, don't even try.  Your "respect for me as a person" died the moment I called you out for being a forum troll on day one, and everyone involved in this discussion here knows it, so don't even try to play that card.  You're not offended, you're just trying to flame and bait with any opportunity that presents itself, and I already told you that's not going to happen.  The only thing wrong with my analogy is how sadly accurate it is.  Apologize?  No chance.  The only thing I'm sorry for is that people like you have a toehold in the zeitgeist of this activity.  For if not, then this entire thread wouldn't be necessary, or even exist.

What I thought would happen; you devolved your reply not into restroom humor but into what is flushed. You even missed the olive branch I posted before I called you out on your crass vulgarity. Carry on.

28 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Yeah, you've been saying that for the last 1,100 posts you've made on here.  That's literally your one note.  Could you possibly try to bring something new to the table?  

We're not talking about 1972, we're talking about the here and now, and the future (or lack thereof) of this activity.

Are you saying the corps from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s weren't performers?  I don't think you probably are, but I just want to be crystal clear. 

That's where we're going to have to agree to disagree.  EVERY corps has lost its way.  Even the holdouts.  You can't roll around on the field in leotards riding your tuba like a horse while a synthesizer is blaring your part out of speakers and try to claim that the activity is holding on to its roots or is recognizable.

So because you're happy, the thousands of other vets and fans who are not happy should just shut up and stop complaining?

At some point the dinosaurs and the snowflakes are going to have to come to some sort of compromise.  I'm not advocating for a total removal of electronics, amplification, dancing, and pajamas (don't get me wrong, I WANT all that crap to jump off a bridge, drown in the murky depths,  and burn in a lake of fire for all eternity, but I know that's not going to happen, because Pandora's Box cannot be closed).  I'm advocating for a little freaking restraint from directors and design teams.  Even the man who pushed for all that crap for so many years is beginning to have second thought about it.  THAT'S how out of hand it is.  It doesn't matter IF or HOW MUCH corps are playing and marching when all you can see or hear is 7 different Japanese TV channels at the same time on the field.  More and more, it feels like that's why it's that way, so they don't have to teach corps how to play and march.....much easier to teach them to stretch out on the turf and stare at their hands.

By and large, kids want what the adults guiding them want.  And right now, the adults guiding them want whatever George Hopkins tells them they want.  So HOPEFULLY, now that he's admitted that it's out of hand, the adults guiding the kids will also magically decide that it's out of hand, and stop cramming drama school down the kids' throats, and get back to doing what drum corps are supposed to do.

OR, stop calling it drum corps and do whatever the hell they want to do.  If they would quit misrepresenting it, and call it instead what it actually is, then we dinos wouldn't have a dog in the race, and we could all go our separate ways in peace.  But until that happens, this debate is going to continue, whether lovers of thunderous goo, spandex and plies' like it or not.  

So you can continue to praise the direction of the modern activity, and I will continue to deride it until the sun explodes.

It's still drum corps. No one said you had to like it

1 hour ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Please, don't even try.  Your "respect for me as a person" died the moment I called you out for being a forum troll on day one, and everyone involved in this discussion here knows it, so don't even try to play that card.  You're not offended, you're just trying to flame and bait with any opportunity that presents itself, and I already told you that's not going to happen.  The only thing wrong with my analogy is how sadly accurate it is.  Apologize?  No chance.  The only thing I'm sorry for is that people like you have a toehold in the zeitgeist of this activity.  For if not, then this entire thread wouldn't be necessary, or even exist.

Now, welcome to ignore. 

Stu can be a pain in the ###, but the only troll is you. He's frequently a critic of things in the activity and better he's far better at stating those concerns in constructive ways. 

Edited by Toby
Removed CE content.

28 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Yeah, you've been saying that for the last 1,100 posts you've made on here.  That's literally your one note.  Could you possibly try to bring something new to the table?  

We're not talking about 1972, we're talking about the here and now, and the future (or lack thereof) of this activity.

Are you saying the corps from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s weren't performers?  I don't think you probably are, but I just want to be crystal clear. 

That's where we're going to have to agree to disagree.  EVERY corps has lost its way.  Even the holdouts.  You can't roll around on the field in leotards riding your tuba like a horse while a synthesizer is blaring your part out of speakers and try to claim that the activity is holding on to its roots or is recognizable.

So because you're happy, the thousands of other vets and fans who are not happy should just shut up and stop complaining?

At some point the dinosaurs and the snowflakes are going to have to come to some sort of compromise.  I'm not advocating for a total removal of electronics, amplification, dancing, and pajamas (don't get me wrong, I WANT all that crap to jump off a bridge, drown in the murky depths,  and burn in a lake of fire for all eternity, but I know that's not going to happen, because Pandora's Box cannot be closed).  I'm advocating for a little freaking restraint from directors and design teams.  Even the man who pushed for all that crap for so many years is beginning to have second thought about it.  THAT'S how out of hand it is.  It doesn't matter IF or HOW MUCH corps are playing and marching when all you can see or hear is 7 different Japanese TV channels at the same time on the field.  More and more, it feels like that's why it's that way, so they don't have to teach corps how to play and march.....much easier to teach them to stretch out on the turf and stare at their hands.

By and large, kids want what the adults guiding them want.  And right now, the adults guiding them want whatever George Hopkins tells them they want.  So HOPEFULLY, now that he's admitted that it's out of hand, the adults guiding the kids will also magically decide that it's out of hand, and stop cramming drama school down the kids' throats, and get back to doing what drum corps are supposed to do.

OR, stop calling it drum corps and do whatever the hell they want to do.  If they would quit misrepresenting it, and call it instead what it actually is, then we dinos wouldn't have a dog in the race, and we could all go our separate ways in peace.  But until that happens, this debate is going to continue, whether lovers of thunderous goo, spandex and plies' like it or not.  

So you can continue to praise the direction of the modern activity, and I will continue to deride it until the sun explodes.

You know there is a facebook page called I do not support dci. You like the few others can pat each other on the back and call each other rock stars there. I do have a question for you though. 

How about address what I did said that those back when said the same, maybe of you or your era. Seems like a valid point rather the spewing how much you don't like something yet think youre doing some good for the activity by sharing wisdom. Maybe you are misrepresenting what the activity is all about or was. Bottom line "IF " you can't do something about it ( which I assume you can not ) then spew all you want. It doesn't affect much.