DCI Finals Beer Pairing

2 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

I host an annual DCI Finals viewing party and for the second year have attempted to purchase a beer to go with each finalist corps as part of a tasting. I look for beers that in some way connect to the corps, the corps' location, and/or the show concept if I can. Some work out better than others, but I thought you may be interested in seeing this year's line-up.

*Disclaimer* This assumes Madison Scouts retain its #12 position. Should the Mandarins or another corps slide in, I'll happily make a run to the store in the morning!

In order of appearance:
Madison Scouts - Last Man Standing paired with Huntsman by Czig Meister 
There's a whole lot of hunting going on when Madison performs this year! Who will be the last man standing at the end of this heavy-duty tasting?

Crossmen - Engima paired with No Limits by Two Roads
After the enigmatic journey, Crossmen breaks through the limits life puts in its way.

Blue Stars - Star Crossed Lovers paired with My Bloody Valentine Ale by AleSmith
A dark twist on the Blue Stars show.

Phantom Regiment - Phantasm paired with Cinnsanity by Weyerbacher
This represents the insanity part of the show when madness grips the Phantom Regiment.

Blue Knights - i paired with Big Eye by Ballast Point
I mean, it's called "Big Eye."

The Cadets - The Faithful, The Fallen, The Forgiven paired with Judgment Day Ale by The Lost Abbey
This can take on different meanings depending on your take. It certainly fits in the show theme, but is there also a judgment day coming if there a 7th place finish?

Boston Crusaders - Wicked Games paired with Witch's Wit by The Lost Abbey 
This one is pretty straight ahead.

The Cavaliers - Men Are From Mars paired with Blithering Idiot by Weyerbacher
This is an homage to the "man speaks" portion of the show.

Bluecoats - Jagged Line paired with Line St. Pilsner by Weyerbacher 
Another straight-ahead one.

Carolina Crown - It Is paired with Derailed Ale by Erie Brewing Company
As the show progresses, the lines (aka the expected path) move in all sorts of new directions.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Ouroboros paired with Dragon's Milk by New Holland Brewing
A dragon was the closest I could find to a serpent!

Blue Devils - Metamorph paired with Blueberry Ale by Blue Point
This was selected for the tagline on the box - "Seductively sweet" and "mischievously balanced"

np8sRkl.jpg

The Abita Amber is there just because it had a marching band on the label.

Um... can I come watch drum corps with you...what a creative way to get drunk LOL

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

This makes me want to go see what Aussie beers I could pair with finals. Granted, the selection here isn't nearly as good at the US...

Would it be a faux pas to start drinking at 7am? (when finals starts here)

I thought it was a faux pas to not be drinking yet at that time in Australia...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

I host an annual DCI Finals viewing party and for the second year have attempted to purchase a beer to go with each finalist corps as part of a tasting. I look for beers that in some way connect to the corps, the corps' location, and/or the show concept if I can. Some work out better than others, but I thought you may be interested in seeing this year's line-up.

*Disclaimer* This assumes Madison Scouts retain its #12 position. Should the Mandarins or another corps slide in, I'll happily make a run to the store in the morning!

In order of appearance:
Madison Scouts - Last Man Standing paired with Huntsman by Czig Meister 
There's a whole lot of hunting going on when Madison performs this year! Who will be the last man standing at the end of this heavy-duty tasting?

Crossmen - Engima paired with No Limits by Two Roads
After the enigmatic journey, Crossmen breaks through the limits life puts in its way.

Blue Stars - Star Crossed Lovers paired with My Bloody Valentine Ale by AleSmith
A dark twist on the Blue Stars show.

Phantom Regiment - Phantasm paired with Cinnsanity by Weyerbacher
This represents the insanity part of the show when madness grips the Phantom Regiment.

Blue Knights - i paired with Big Eye by Ballast Point
I mean, it's called "Big Eye."

The Cadets - The Faithful, The Fallen, The Forgiven paired with Judgment Day Ale by The Lost Abbey
This can take on different meanings depending on your take. It certainly fits in the show theme, but is there also a judgment day coming if there a 7th place finish?

Boston Crusaders - Wicked Games paired with Witch's Wit by The Lost Abbey 
This one is pretty straight ahead.

The Cavaliers - Men Are From Mars paired with Blithering Idiot by Weyerbacher
This is an homage to the "man speaks" portion of the show.

Bluecoats - Jagged Line paired with Line St. Pilsner by Weyerbacher 
Another straight-ahead one.

Carolina Crown - It Is paired with Derailed Ale by Erie Brewing Company
As the show progresses, the lines (aka the expected path) move in all sorts of new directions.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Ouroboros paired with Dragon's Milk by New Holland Brewing
A dragon was the closest I could find to a serpent!

Blue Devils - Metamorph paired with Blueberry Ale by Blue Point
This was selected for the tagline on the box - "Seductively sweet" and "mischievously balanced"

np8sRkl.jpg

The Abita Amber is there just because it had a marching band on the label.

This is amazing

• Like 1