2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

Why'd they go back to having the Phantomettes, anyway? They add male guard members and have some of their most successful seasons ever, including an upset of an undefeated Blue Devils season... then nah. that probably isn't working. Better go back to how we used to do it.

???

Well, it's on to the next season.  The LA Rams just beat the Dallas Cowboys.  Tomorrow, it's the first game for the LA Chargers.  Boy, LA Chargers still sounds really weird.  From no football for 20 years, to too much.

4 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Does anyone know if any scores dropped?

If not, how many didn't?

More than 1, but less than 3, i believe. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I find it odd that 83% of the corps had a worse night on Saturday than they did on Friday. 

The drops in scores are a reflection of the judges. 

1. There is no way for the system or the adjudicators to compare last night to tonight (or Thursday for that matter).  So the supposition that 83% had a "worse night" is unsubstantiated.

2. The drop in scores is a reflection of contest dynamics and the opportunity to create a more accurate and detailed scoring narrative in a less dense competition.

3. If somehow I'm totally wrong about 1 & 2, and you're totally right about this topic, what reflection on the judges is it?  What does it mean?  Which panel lied to us and the corps (last night or tonight)?  Just wondering.

• Like 3

Just now, 27Socal said:

Well, it's on to the next season.  The LA Rams just beat the Dallas Cowboys.  Tomorrow, it's the first game for the LA Chargers.  Boy, LA Chargers still sounds really weird.  From no football for 20 years, to too much.

Before you go, do you know if any scores dropped tonight?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jeffmolnar said:

Why'd they go back to having the Phantomettes, anyway? They add male guard members and have some of their most successful seasons ever, including an upset of an undefeated Blue Devils season... then nah. that probably isn't working. Better go back to how we used to do it.

DUDE!

22 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

How about BDs 8th undefeated season!!!! Every other corps since 1972 has a combined has one unbeaten season (Cavies 2002). Cadets tied on finals night in 2000 after going unbeaten the entire season. What BD is doing is unreal. 

Great!

That happens when the organizational goal is to win at all costs.

Other organizations have different goals, where winning it all is just icing on the cake, not the end goal in itself.

It is quite the accomplishment. More undefeated seasons than other corps but one have titles.

Hope there is a comradery and lasting friendship there too. ...or maybe it is a network of potential resources to utilize?

I don't see that as much as I do in other corps.

Congratulations, BD on #18!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Just now, AlexL said:

More than 1, but less than 3, i believe. 

Blue Devils and Cavaliers increased their scores and everyone else dropped.

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I hated Propaganda. Absolutely hated it. So you can imagine my surprise when Cavies take a similar approach this year and I all of a sudden love it. 

The concept and presentation matters. There was little musicality from the Cavies this year (or to rephrase, very little melodic content), and I feel that if the Cavies didn't have those entertaining visual and comical elements, I would've disliked the show just as much as I dislike Vanguard's cacophonous and disjointed show. But like I said, the Cavies really SOLD it. They put their hearts into it and that's what made it work, for both me, and the judges, apparently. 

Jagged Line is certainly an all time great, and I hope Bloo continues to do what they do. They have my 2nd favorite show this year and that design team knows how to put out a show that is pure fun

Music is why I love drum corps. I appreciate the other stuff, but to me if you don't major on music then why do drum corps? I have loooooong been and will remain a big Cavaliers fan. Most of you know that Frameworks and Machine are in my top 10 all time shows. These past two Cavaliers shows couldn't carry those two shows' jock straps. So yes, it pisses me off seeing my second least favorite show finish ahead of my favorite show because of something other than music.

but whatever, really, it doesn't lessen my joy for Jagged Line or all the other great shows. I just don't like how dci is inadvertently moving this activity right now.

• Like 2