2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

8 hours ago, Psycobikerbob said:

Ok this is sure to make people mad and that's not what it's intended to do however I feel compelled to voice this. For the first time I was at prelims and semis and I went with an open mind trying to decide for myself which I thought was the best show. That being said I felt that BD's show was very much a glorified stand still performance they only really played after moving to a spot and stopping. Vanguard was entertaining for the first part of the show then seemed to be repetitive to me. Bluecoats seemed a lot like last years show entertaining but a little lack luster. Crown is always my favorite brass but this year the show was a little confusing to me personally. My real issue is the Boston Crusaders and Cavies and Madison Scouts shows were enjoyable to watch very powerful musically and overall understandable and yet not very good scores. My confusion in this whole thing comes from 2015 when inferno was undoubtedly the most enjoyable show on the field and they came in second last year their show was in my opinion a lot more enjoyable then BD and again fell behind them at finals. Maybe it's because it's subject to judges opinions that some score higher in GE then others so why not do away with GE and score it on execution of the music and how well the show was performed as opposed to how well a judge like the show. This is just my opinion and we all know what is said about that. Congrats to all the corps open and world on a wonderful season and lifelong memories. 

Scores don't reflect the most "enjoyable" show. That would make DCI a glorified beauty pageant contest 

• Like 1

All I'm gonna say regarding all these comments about the way Bloo's and Phantom's guard is dressing up:

most of the members (if not all) in the top 12 world class corps are 18 and above. They are college aged. If you think those outfits are the worst they wear, you're kidding yourself. Let adults be adults. 

As for the theme of Phantom's show, that's a different story altogether that I'm not going to comment on. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

Wired. I checked my speed ... I am getting 200+ Mbps down through the same connection.  Can barely see anyone's faces in the multi-cam feed it was pixelated so bad.

I had major issues last night on 150mbps-- wired, on both my smart tv's browser and PC chrome browser.  lost the end of Crusaders and pretty much ALL of SCV.  So ######.  I know when a lot of people on the same network area are using the internet (ie for saturday night netflix) it can slow your speed, but I checked youtube while those shenanigans were going on, and had no problems streaming there.  

What did work was setting the stream resolution to 'auto' vs 720 and then it worked, but it looked like videotape from the 70's.

Flomarching needs to come up with a failsafe-- I don't know squat about live digital distribution but maybe they can delay the broadcast by 5 minutes and allow it to buffer ahead, or pause the live stream and allow it to resume without skipping ahead while the video loads.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If this is correct, then I'd say they timed it well.

Best regards.

Ain't that the truth...

7 hours ago, Anstigback said:

That person complaining about misogyny is just a troll I think...how could he possibly do this? Dude needs to calm down and realize that the Cavaliers are on the rise and he will soon be joined by disappointed crown, scv and bd fans soon enough!

I am pretty sure he is not a troll. I believe he marched Bluecoats and is upset with the fact Cavilers show beat the Bluecoats show. I 100% agree with him. I have never respected Cavilers or Madison Scouts for the simple fact that I think it is crap they do not allow women to march. I do not think they will ever win another championship until they change their mindset on allowing women to march. Women have just as much talent if not more than men. 

Also their show was 100% a **** you to women this year. I found totally disgraceful and trashy. It is already bad enough you don't allow woman to march but now you are going to have a show about men. 

I know you guys will bash this and tell me I am stupid but my opinion is my opinion. 

56 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Scores don't reflect the most "enjoyable" show. That would make DCI a glorified beauty pageant contest 

"But in short, GE is broken into Music and Visual GE. Both will look heavily at the design of the show, and how well it impacts or engages the audience."

So then what your saying is this explanation of GE is incorrect? If that's the case then a stand still performance with razor straight lines and perfect horn angle and exact stick height would score better then a show that moves around but may not have those perfect lines and horn angles but is more "enjoyable" to the crowd? 

9 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

Very interesting point.  You've almost changed my mind on the headgear thing.  Still miss the Aussies for SCV though.

Fair enough. SCV may have been the one corps left where it felt gender-neutral, even with the headgear. I missed the Aussies, too, but I don't think it would have helped or hurt the show in any way this year though, so it was what it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChristmasInJuly said:

I am pretty sure he is not a troll. I believe he marched Bluecoats and is upset with the fact Cavilers show beat the Bluecoats show. I 100% agree with him. I have never respected Cavilers or Madison Scouts for the simple fact that I think it is crap they do not allow women to march. I do not think they will ever win another championship until they change their mindset on allowing women to march. Women have just as much talent if not more than men. 

Also their show was 100% a **** you to women this year. I found totally disgraceful and trashy. It is already bad enough you don't allow woman to march but now you are going to have a show about men. 

I know you guys will bash this and tell me I am stupid but my opinion is my opinion. 

Just curious do you not have any respect for Phantom Regiment as well since they do not allow men in their colorguard?

1 hour ago, ChristmasInJuly said:

I'd like to see a female corps. Imagine the talent level they could draw from.

25 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

"But in short, GE is broken into Music and Visual GE. Both will look heavily at the design of the show, and how well it impacts or engages the audience."

So then what your saying is this explanation of GE is incorrect? If that's the case then a stand still performance with razor straight lines and perfect horn angle and exact stick height would score better then a show that moves around but may not have those perfect lines and horn angles but is more "enjoyable" to the crowd? 

That's a pretty huge simplification of GE. Judges have been instructed, since 2014 I believe, to take into account audience reaction, but it is by no means the main way GE is judged.