2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

2 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

I'd like to see a female corps. Imagine the talent level they could draw from.

There used to be all female corps way back when

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Scores don't reflect the most "enjoyable" show. That would make DCI a glorified beauty pageant contest 

"But in short, GE is broken into Music and Visual GE. Both will look heavily at the design of the show, and how well it impacts or engages the audience."

So then what your saying is this explanation of GE is incorrect? If that's the case then a stand still performance with razor straight lines and perfect horn angle and exact stick height would score better then a show that moves around but may not have those perfect lines and horn angles but is more "enjoyable" to the crowd? 

But that's the thing. Having a more enjoyable show doesn't mean it has higher GE. GE is simply how well you get the point or idea of your show across. Bluecoats suffered this year because their ideas weren't connected enough. They had a jazzy opener, a beautiful ballad, a jazzy closer, a huge jagged line, half naked guard, guys in suspenders, bowler hats...? You can sort of tell the connections but it's not as well connected as the other top corps.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Anstigback said:

That person complaining about misogyny is just a troll I think...how could he possibly do this? Dude needs to calm down and realize that the Cavaliers are on the rise and he will soon be joined by disappointed crown, scv and bd fans soon enough!

I am pretty sure he is not a troll. I believe he marched Bluecoats and is upset with the fact Cavilers show beat the Bluecoats show. I 100% agree with him. I have never respected Cavilers or Madison Scouts for the simple fact that I think it is crap they do not allow women to march. I do not think they will ever win another championship until they change their mindset on allowing women to march. Women have just as much talent if not more than men. 

Also their show was 100% a **** you to women this year. I found totally disgraceful and trashy. It is already bad enough you don't allow woman to march but now you are going to have a show about men. 

I know you guys will bash this and tell me I am stupid but my opinion is my opinion. 

Yeah the show is about man, but it's about how bad man sucks lol

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BigBird said:

But that's the thing. Having a more enjoyable show doesn't mean it has higher GE. GE is simply how well you get the point or idea of your show across. Bluecoats suffered this year because their ideas weren't connected enough. They had a jazzy opener, a beautiful ballad, a jazzy closer, a huge jagged line, half naked guard, guys in suspenders, bowler hats...? You can sort of tell the connections but it's not as well connected as the other top corps.

Which is really too bad.  I think the fixation with a theme needs to be toned down a bit.

2 minutes ago, BigBird said:

Abou halfway through this season, I started questioning the design logic of doing a Fosse visual with ultra modern music. A bridge too far? Possibly.

1 hour ago, ChristmasInJuly said:

I have never respected Cavilers or Madison Scouts for the simple fact that I think it is crap they do not allow women to march.

Totally fine. It's your opinion, one that I certainly don't agree with, but valid enough.

I do not think they will ever win another championship until they change their mindset on allowing women to march. Women have just as much talent if not more than men. 

This I can't disagree with more.

1. Judging is not about identity politics. Never has been, never will be. Corps can win championships with all-men, all-women, or all-gender membership. It comes down to design and execution, period.
  2. Women certainly do have just as much, if not more talent as men, but there are 21 other World Class corps that they can march in that give them just as good of a chance to be competitive. There are Finalist corps within 2 hours of each of those all-male corps. 

Also their show was 100% a **** you to women this year. I found totally disgraceful and trashy. It is already bad enough you don't allow woman to march but now you are going to have a show about men.  

Name me ONE instance in the show where they trashed or disgraced women, or gave them a hint of a F### You. In fact, they spend more time trashing men than they do praising them throughout the show. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Scores don't reflect the most "enjoyable" show. That would make DCI a glorified beauty pageant contest 

"Would make"?  Haha

Band overload today.

Up at 4am to watch the live feed of the World Pipe Band Championships from Glasgow, Scotland and then the DCI Finals tonight.

I'm always regretting my decision to not go to Finals in person.

BTW, we're trying to get a SoundSport Team/Band/Corps going here in Baton Rouge. If there are any interested musicians anywhere within reasonable driving distance of BR that may be interested, just send me a PM here..........   

There is already a successful drum corps based out of Lafayette, an hour away from Baton Rouge. Why not support them?

7 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Totally fine. It's your opinion, one that I certainly don't agree with, but valid enough.

This I can't disagree with more.

1. Judging is not about identity politics. Never has been, never will be. Corps can win championships with all-men, all-women, or all-gender membership. It comes down to design and execution, period.
  2. Women certainly do have just as much, if not more talent as men, but there are 21 other World Class corps that they can march in that give them just as good of a chance to be competitive. There are Finalist corps within 2 hours of each of those all-male corps. 

Name me ONE instance in the show where they trashed or disgraced women, or gave them a hint of a F### You. In fact, they spend more time trashing men than they do praising them throughout the show. 

He's showing us what he learned in his Snowflake 101 course at college. So cute. 

• Like 3