2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

10 minutes ago, FancySnack said:

The discussion of what the women wear is really sexist in and of itself

This is nonsense. What men and women wear is a cultural discussion. By your standard, no one should care if the girls came out in string bikinis, and the men in speedos. There is a line.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, goirish52 said:

Over the years, whenever the Madison Scouts or Cavaliers perform I use it as an opportunity to go buy popcorn.

2000  Niagara Falls Niagara Falls by Michael Daugherty / Original music by Richard Saucedo  97.6501st

2001  Four Corners Four Corners by Richard Saucedo  98.3501st

2002  Frameworks Melody / Harmony / Rhythm by Richard Saucedo, Bret Kuhn, and Erik Johnson  99.1501s

Orville Redenbacher wouldn't miss those shows...

obviously...

your loss...

Edited by whitedj2002
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

Ok well then can someone please explain the BD show to me? I could follow a lot of the shows fairly well Vanguards show got the point across very well although I wasn't particularly a fan it still told the story. It seemed to me the BD show was a lot of move to a spot play then stop and move to another spot play and repeat. It was very confusing to watch and really although it was loud sounded like a lot of noise. No disrespect to any of the members I know they work their ##### off and like all the corps should be proud of their accomplishments I just don't get it sorry. 

It was a reminiscence about 60 years of excellence.  It contained callbacks to those shows here and there, and references to diamonds (60 year anniversary is the diamond anniversary) and a recurring caterpillar-to-butterfly theme - the metamorphosis from the past to the future.

5 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

Ok well then can someone please explain the BD show to me? I could follow a lot of the shows fairly well Vanguards show got the point across very well although I wasn't particularly a fan it still told the story. It seemed to me the BD show was a lot of move to a spot play then stop and move to another spot play and repeat. It was very confusing to watch and really although it was loud sounded like a lot of noise. No disrespect to any of the members I know they work their ##### off and like all the corps should be proud of their accomplishments I just don't get it sorry. 

I guess it just shows how different people perceive shows. To quote you, "it was very confusing to watch and really although it was loud sounded like a lot of noise" is how I've been describing SCV's show all season, whereas I found that BD's show had the most melodic content of any corps this year (other than maybe Bloo).

To give the most simplistic explanation of BD's show, it is titled metamorph because it is supposed to show, from beginning to end, the transformation of the Blue Devils as a corps. At the beginning, they start off on the starting line much like how DCI corps used to over 40 years ago.

The narration is of BD's very first performance ever as a corps. In this opener, you will see a lot more classical drill forms and less of the modern abstraction. Throughout the show, there's small details that are throwbacks to BD shows of the past. Their whole ballad is a tribute to the park and blow that BD was famous and loved for in the 80s, but with some modern twists incorporated in. After the ballad, we start to get a bit more modern. By this point, the corps members have shredded their "traditional" jackets and have metamorphed into a more modern uniform.

You start to hear more modern musical styles, that trumpet fanfare isn't really something you would hear in pre 2000's drum corps. The trombones are meant to note how that particular instrument has been introduced and used by BD a couple years ago. In the front ensemble interlude into the closer, you hear some really futuristic sounding music (that is likely from the Interstellar soundtrack) and you hear the "diamonds" voice over referring to the diamond anniversary (60th) of the Blue Devils.

Finally, in the closer the corps has 17 colorguard members in white wings to represent each of their past championships as well as an 18th guard member climbing up the stairs to a window lit in blue. The window symbolizes the future, and the 18th guard member on finals night joined the rest of the 17. 

That ended up being way more long winded than I wanted it to, but I hope that helps. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Pete Freedman said:

It was a reminiscence about 60 years of excellence.  It contained callbacks to those shows here and there, and references to diamonds (60 year anniversary is the diamond anniversary) and a recurring caterpillar-to-butterfly theme - the metamorphosis from the past to the future.

Yea still don't get it I didn't see that at all but that's just me. 

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

This is nonsense. What men and women wear is a cultural discussion. By your standard, no one should care if the girls came out in string bikinis, and the men in speedos. There is a line.

And yet, it's more often than not that women are the subjects of this criticism rather than men. The perils of the male gaze, I guess. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

He's showing us what he learned in his Snowflake 101 course at college. So cute. 

The fact that you think I am a man just shows why I hate these corps. Woman can like Drum Corps just as much as a man. You just helped me prove my fact. Thank you!!! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

You're free to discuss it if you like - but it still may come across as sexist. 

There's a long history of men  *people controlling how women dress in the name of modesty and purity and to not distract men. It relates very closely to the show we were discussing. It's just a dated practice we should all work towards avoiding.

*to prevent anyone getting more butthurt, Mike.

Edited by FancySnack
attempting to avoiding butthurt.
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Really well articulated, your whole post. Especially agree with the part about how discussing specifically what the women are wearing is sexist in of itself. There's really no need for that. 

The message of the show overall is what's important. I'm a big Phantom fan, so it pained me to see some of those design details come through this season. 

oh boo hoo lol

13 minutes ago, FancySnack said:

Oh, I have one more thing to get off my chest and leave in the 2017 season.

It seems obvious that all the corps this year understand that electronics/synth/artificalsound is necessary to competition now, but so many of them from top to bottom have no idea how to actually use these tools effectively in their shows - just that it's necessary to compete. And I'm not talking about mic issues or mistakes that happen when a speaker doesn't work. I'm talking about laying prereorded music/vocals/sound effects into their show and just mixing the sound wrong. So many jarring moments in the shows. And I wish a few of the corps would just abandon the use of voice over/narration if they don't have a professional working on it.

That said, I expect to see more of the same next year. It doesn't look like its going anywhere.

the judges literally told (and told and told) Cavaliers to "amp up" their brass. They did it and were handsomely rewarded on finals night. Same thing happened with many other corps frankly. "Brass needs more support" kind of judging comments over and over