2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

4 minutes ago, FancySnack said:

You're free to discuss it if you like - but it still may come across as sexist. 

There's a long history of men  *people controlling how women dress in the name of modesty and purity and to not distract men. It relates very closes to the show we were discussing. 

*to avoid anyone getting more butthurt, Mike.

We still get examples of this in schools today. Girls can't even wear comfortable pants (that literally cover EVERYTHING) anymore without having some dumb kid complain to the principal about not being able to concentrate because he can't keep his eyes to himself. 

Edit: oh and full disclosure, I'm a straight male. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Higgy said:

Just curious do you not have any respect for Phantom Regiment as well since they do not allow men in their colorguard?

2006 doesn't count for men in the color guard!!!

3 minutes ago, FancySnack said:

You're free to discuss it if you like - but it still may come across as sexist. 

There's a long history of men  *people controlling how women dress in the name of modesty and purity and to not distract men. It relates very closes to the show we were discussing. It's just a dated practice we should all work towards avoiding.

*to prevent anyone getting more butthurt, Mike.

I agree. Women should wear much less and come across as sexy and un-modest as possible

:spitting:

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I guess it just shows how different people perceive shows. To quote you, "it was very confusing to watch and really although it was loud sounded like a lot of noise" is how I've been describing SCV's show all season, whereas I found that BD's show had the most melodic content of any corps this year (other than maybe Bloo).

To give the most simplistic explanation of BD's show, it is titled metamorph because it is supposed to show, from beginning to end, the transformation of the Blue Devils as a corps. At the beginning, they start off on the starting line much like how DCI corps used to over 40 years ago.

The narration is of BD's very first performance ever as a corps. In this opener, you will see a lot more classical drill forms and less of the modern abstraction. Throughout the show, there's small details that are throwbacks to BD shows of the past. Their whole ballad is a tribute to the park and blow that BD was famous and loved for in the 80s, but with some modern twists incorporated in. After the ballad, we start to get a bit more modern. By this point, the corps members have shredded their "traditional" jackets and have metamorphed into a more modern uniform.

You start to hear more modern musical styles, that trumpet fanfare isn't really something you would hear in pre 2000's drum corps. The trombones are meant to note how that particular instrument has been introduced and used by BD a couple years ago. In the front ensemble interlude into the closer, you hear some really futuristic sounding music (that is likely from the Interstellar soundtrack) and you hear the "diamonds" voice over referring to the diamond anniversary (60th) of the Blue Devils.

Finally, in the closer the corps has 17 colorguard members in white wings to represent each of their past championships as well as an 18th guard member climbing up the stairs to a window lit in blue. The window symbolizes the future, and the 18th guard member on finals night joined the rest of the 17. 

That ended up being way more long winded than I wanted it to, but I hope that helps. 

Thank you for this description.  It had several things I didn't know.

Do you think the reveal uniform is intended to be insect-like to match the butterfly wings of the guard?  That's the way I took it.

56 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

There used to be all female corps way back when

Back in the early '70's, there were 40 of them.  F O R T Y ! ! !  Now, there are barely 40 corps in World/Open class combined.  Tell me again how making it cost over $1 million to tour isn't hurting the activity concerning participation...

1 minute ago, ChristmasInJuly said:

But it's not!!!!

Did you watch it? They poke fun at man through the entire middle section. They even told a dumb joke and said "after two million years, that's they best they could come up with." That really sounds like making fun of man to me.

• Like 1

Just now, Pete Freedman said:

Thank you for this description.  It had several things I didn't know.

Do you think the reveal uniform is intended to be insect-like to match the butterfly wings of the guard?  That's the way I took it.

Based on the patterning of the spandex-material uniform underneath, I think it is supposed to look insect-like 

2 hours ago, ChristmasInJuly said:

I am pretty sure he is not a troll. I believe he marched Bluecoats and is upset with the fact Cavilers show beat the Bluecoats show. I 100% agree with him. I have never respected Cavilers or Madison Scouts for the simple fact that I think it is crap they do not allow women to march. I do not think they will ever win another championship until they change their mindset on allowing women to march. Women have just as much talent if not more than men. 

Also their show was 100% a **** you to women this year. I found totally disgraceful and trashy. It is already bad enough you don't allow woman to march but now you are going to have a show about men. 

I know you guys will bash this and tell me I am stupid but my opinion is my opinion. 

Not stupid ... just ignorant/ill-informed.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 3