2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

8 minutes ago, ChristmasInJuly said:

The fact that you think I am a man just shows why I hate these corps. Woman can like Drum Corps just as much as a man. You just helped me prove my fact. Thank you!!! 

Good point.  However, your avatar does kinka look like the Cadets designed a snowflake! 

Just now, FancySnack said:

Oh dear. I'm glad I don't know you in real life. You sound like someone who just likes to argue for the sake of arguing. 

quite the leap - I was actually JOKING. The point is - everyone is so busy being "offended" these days. I'm pretty sure Regiments guard was supposed to be insect like. I'm pretty sure the Cavaliers are being tongue in cheek. I'm pretty sure Bloo is being Fosse' etc...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Back in the early '70's, there were 40 of them.  F O R T Y ! ! !  Now, there are barely 40 corps in World/Open class combined.  Tell me again how making it cost over $1 million to tour isn't hurting the activity concerning participation...

Well they Also increased size of corps over the years so extra equipment, food, uniforms, buses, and so on. Say 21 groups march the extra amount well that's 2 full corps worth right there. 

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I guess it just shows how different people perceive shows. To quote you, "it was very confusing to watch and really although it was loud sounded like a lot of noise" is how I've been describing SCV's show all season, whereas I found that BD's show had the most melodic content of any corps this year (other than maybe Bloo).

To give the most simplistic explanation of BD's show, it is titled metamorph because it is supposed to show, from beginning to end, the transformation of the Blue Devils as a corps. At the beginning, they start off on the starting line much like how DCI corps used to over 40 years ago.

The narration is of BD's very first performance ever as a corps. In this opener, you will see a lot more classical drill forms and less of the modern abstraction. Throughout the show, there's small details that are throwbacks to BD shows of the past. Their whole ballad is a tribute to the park and blow that BD was famous and loved for in the 80s, but with some modern twists incorporated in. After the ballad, we start to get a bit more modern. By this point, the corps members have shredded their "traditional" jackets and have metamorphed into a more modern uniform.

You start to hear more modern musical styles, that trumpet fanfare isn't really something you would hear in pre 2000's drum corps. The trombones are meant to note how that particular instrument has been introduced and used by BD a couple years ago. In the front ensemble interlude into the closer, you hear some really futuristic sounding music (that is likely from the Interstellar soundtrack) and you hear the "diamonds" voice over referring to the diamond anniversary (60th) of the Blue Devils.

Finally, in the closer the corps has 17 colorguard members in white wings to represent each of their past championships as well as an 18th guard member climbing up the stairs to a window lit in blue. The window symbolizes the future, and the 18th guard member on finals night joined the rest of the 17. 

That ended up being way more long winded than I wanted it to, but I hope that helps. 

Enjoyed your assessment of this years show but..Me thinks the "questions" and the "confusion" are subtle, but pointed ways to "dig" and insult the 18 time, undefeated world champions.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CDUB said:

Guy who left early should not have gone back to his spot. It made it extra obvious. 

Thought about this today . . . It was so easy for me to offer that suggestion having never had the responsibility he had.  So, if you're reading this, I'm sorry, dude. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 32RH said:
Anyone else realize Madison Scouts' finals score was lower than Madarins' final score?
Madison Scouts in finals-85.25 Mandarins in semis-85.50

Happens every year. Every year someone brings this up too. The 12th place Corps almost always has their score go down at Finals, than at Semi's... even when their performance may have been better at Finals than in the Semi's. Those who understand how the judging system works understand that this is perfectly reasonable too ( ie, Corps in Semi's are judged among different quality levels of Corps, than on Finals Night, for one ) As such, had Mandarins competed as the 13th place Corps on Finals Night, its likely their score would have gone down as well. All the more reason why comparing scores from different shows ( that we all do sometimes.. myself included ) is fraught with such fundamental difficulty.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Enjoyed your assessment of this years show but..Me thinks the "questions" and the "confusion" are subtle, but pointed ways to "dig" and insult the 18 time, undefeated world champions.

Agree 100%. Cappy did an amazing job breaking the show down, but it appears this guy doesn't like the Devils, no matter what they do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Back in the early '70's, there were 40 of them.  F O R T Y ! ! !  Now, there are barely 40 corps in World/Open class combined.  Tell me again how making it cost over $1 million to tour isn't hurting the activity concerning participation...

Back in "the daze" buses broke down, kids were stranded with bankrupt corps leaving them on the road,  kids ate peanut butter out of jars, uniforms were used for decades, and different factions complained bitterly about the activity...

...blinks

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChristmasInJuly said:

The fact that you think I am a man just shows why I hate these corps. Woman can like Drum Corps just as much as a man. You just helped me prove my fact. Thank you!!! 

Oh you poor victim. Being endlessly angry at the world for your perceived outrage of the day will make for a miserable life. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Well they Also increased size of corps over the years so extra equipment, food, uniforms, buses, and so on. Say 21 groups march the extra amount well that's 2 full corps worth right there. 

Math lesson:  150-128= 22     22*40=880     80*40=3200   3200-440=2320

So, expanding the rosters from 128 to 150 bought you another 880 spots.  Forcing 40 corps to fold/disband cost around 3200 spots, all female.  Assuming half the new spots are filled by women, that's 440 new marchers replacing the 3200 that used to have a spot.  That's hardly progress.

• Like 1