2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

2 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I mean, there's nothing in the rule book against it... :tongue:

True, but any venue that is public, which would include most schools and public universities, would have laws against it. Do you want to be the one to tell the folks in Allentown that the J. Birney Crum is no longer available and the show is cancelled because uniforms are violate decency laws?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 32RH said:
Anyone else realize Madison Scouts' finals score was lower than Madarins' final score? Madison Scouts in finals-85.25 Mandarins in semis-85.50

Wasn't that the case last year with BAC and Madison?

9 minutes ago, furious-winter said:

The Cavaliers and Madison Scouts are missing out on talent by being "all-male." I remember seeing the clip of the Scouts playing with the INpact group and wondering if any of the young girls might have asked one of the Scouts members, "Could I march with the Madison Scouts someday?" It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to bar an entire gender from a drum corps - and tradition accounted for, it still really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to bar an entire gender from a drum corps. But whatever. The Cavaliers are still my favorite corps. 

But... misogyny? Maybe. Perhaps it's also misogynistic to field an all-female color guard. I don't think it happened this year (I can't remember seeing a male PR guard member... also I'm also older than I was yesterday), but I know it's happened in the past, and I really hope it doesn't happen again. Regardless, if we're truly wanting to have a rational discussion about misogyny in drum corps, perhaps we shouldn't wait until after the scores are announced on finals night when many fans' emotions are already in overdrive. It makes one wonder if, perhaps, the one crying "misogyny" is only using such an allegation as a means of masking other frustrations. 

As for "Men Are From Mars," I think it's the darkest show fielded this year (BK's show is a close second). When people say it's about toxic masculinity, I feel like they're missing the deeper message. At its core, I would argue that it is not about mankind, but instead, humankind, and its propensity for self-destruction. The Mars/My Way mash-up has been trashed all season long because it "doesn't make sense," and I don't think it was ever supposed to make sense... at least not in the way those who hated it expected it should. War is not beautiful, and it doesn't make sense - but time and time again, war is man's way, humanity's way, and even the way of the gods themselves. So, yes, The Cavaliers wrapped up this message in a cute little self-deprecating bow of toxic masculinity, but it is only as misogynistic as it is also misandrist. 

Goodnight, y'all. It's been a ####### amazing season. Thanks for welcoming me into the DCI fandom, and already I can't wait for next year. <3

Cavies back in the top 4. i dont think they're hurting. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

True, but any venue that is public, which would include most schools and public universities, would have laws against it. Do you want to be the one to tell the folks in Allentown that the J. Birney Crum is no longer available and the show is cancelled because uniforms are violate decency laws?

It was a joke, brotein shake.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Happens often. Different panels different shows. I've seen WGI groups make semis to drop 5 points. 

numbers open up. the job is to rank, then rate

I'm calling it a night, folks. Thanks for a great season, tomorrow (today?) 2018 begins!

• Like 1

Just now, MotoSurfBass said:

It was a joke, brotein shake.

My response was supposed to be a joke too! I guess I should stick with my day job and not try comedy.

• Like 1

Just now, Tim K said:

My response was supposed to be a joke too! I guess I should stick with my day job and not try comedy.

Sorry, super dry humor doesn't translate well over Internet Language. I've learned that the hard way, too! :laughing:

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Cavies back in the top 4. i dont think they're hurting. 

I don't think they're hurting either. 

I also don't think it'd hurt them or the Scouts to allow women into their corps, but that's a discussion for another day (at least for me, I really need to go to bed...).