2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

Regarding costs, any judged contests of educational institutions are probably going to effectively reward those institutions with the biggest budgets, biggest talent draw and highest visibility.  A contest based on GRE scores would reward Harvard and Yale.  That's not surprising.  The 990's thread pretty much confirmed that budgets correlate highly with placements.  Also unsurprising.

To tour you need to pay the expenses of touring.  That's not unreasonable.  But most touring corps don't spend anywhere near what the top corps spend.  The financial drop-off is incredibly steep, even within the top 12.

The idea that you need to spend big staging bucks to tour is unfounded, I think.  Top corps (i.e. rich corps) spend those bucks to get a theoretical few extra tenths in GE.  Given their budgets it's not unreasonable.

Often the staging is pointless, and distracting.  I liked the Bluecoats stage but they may have suffered because of it.  Maybe it took too much time and resources to deal with it.  Who knows.  In any case big staging certainly isn't mandatory, and can even backfire.

5 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Math lesson:  150-128= 22     22*40=880     80*40=3200   3200-440=2320

So, expanding the rosters from 128 to 150 bought you another 880 spots.  Forcing 40 corps to fold/disband cost around 3200 spots, all female.  Assuming half the new spots are filled by women, that's 440 new marchers replacing the 3200 that used to have a spot.  That's hardly progress.

Math lesson the last number increase before 150 was 135 so 15. And back then they didnt fill 135 spots so you can rationalize that any way. I watched 25 member corps about 10 years ago but that would still count as a corps on your list. 

9 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Back in "the daze" buses broke down, kids were stranded with bankrupt corps leaving them on the road,  kids ate peanut butter out of jars, uniforms were used for decades, and different factions complained bitterly about the activity...

...blinks

I'd much rather have another 3000 kids participating in old uniforms and horns than today's elitist, college-music-major-only, $3000 fee required, esoteric circle jerk that DCI has become.   Since that is what DCI is and will continue to be, I'm done.

I took my very old father tonight and asked him who his favorite show was.  He said "Phantom Regiment for sure".

This is what i love about DCI.  Everyone in the audience can appreciate their favorite part.

I knew going in that they would play Rachmaniff Piano Concerto 2.  I did not tell him beforehand.  It left him breathless.

He used to play this on piano to me when i was a baby.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Agree 100%. Cappy did an amazing job breaking the show down, but it appears this guy doesn't like the Devils, no matter what they do.

It was a very informatitive breakdown and I appreciate the time spent to explain it. That being said i am ultimately a fan of all Corps that entertain me regardless of who they are. I just don't feel this show was as entertaining as say Spartacus in 2008 or for that matter Wicked Games this year. I spend the money to be entertained and captivated not confused. 2011 A Beat My Heart Skipped was very enjoyable and I feel a much better show then this years. Regardless of who my favorite Corps is I will give credit to who I feel deserves it and I'm sorry I just didn't feel their show was the best I felt it was a third place at best show. Again this is just my personal opinion I am sure I will be bashed for this but we are all entitled to our thoughts. I am not particularly a fan of the Cavies or Scouts I felt their shows were more exciting to watch. 

Woow those guys are for real I guess or just expert trolls. If you're trolling with the misogyny claims and the popcorn trips during cavs/ scouts shows you say you have, it's incredible skill your showing. If not I don't know much else to say then I feel bad for you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I'd much rather have another 3000 kids participating in old uniforms and horns than today's elitist, college-music-major-only, $3000 fee required, esoteric circle jerk that DCI has become.   Since that is what DCI is and will continue to be, I'm done.

I'd like to pay 29 cents a gal. for gas, have no cell phones or computers, pay 30 grand for a house or 4 grand for a car....guess what?:lle:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Well ... bye.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, goirish52 said:

I took my very old father tonight and asked him who his favorite show was.  He said "Phantom Regiment for sure".

This is what i love about DCI.  Everyone in the audience can appreciate their favorite part.

I knew going in that they would play Rachmaniff Piano Concerto 2.  I did not tell him beforehand.  It left him breathless.

He used to play this on piano to me when i was a baby.

Did you make him miss the cavaliers and scouts for a popcorn break?

1 minute ago, Psycobikerbob said:

It was a very informatitive breakdown and I appreciate the time spent to explain it. That being said i am ultimately a fan of all Corps that entertain me regardless of who they are. I just don't feel this show was as entertaining as say Spartacus in 2008 or for that matter Wicked Games this year. I spend the money to be entertained and captivated not confused. 2011 A Beat My Heart Skipped was very enjoyable and I feel a much better show then this years. Regardless of who my favorite Corps is I will give credit to who I feel deserves it and I'm sorry I just didn't feel their show was the best I felt it was a third place at best show. Again this is just my personal opinion I am sure I will be bashed for this but we are all entitled to our thoughts. I am not particularly a fan of the Cavies or Scouts I felt their shows were more exciting to watch. 

You are correct that we are all entitled to our own thoughts and opinions. Thanks for taking time to explain your's.