2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

6 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Ahh.  I can see the off-season has more than kicked off in its full and......interesting glory.  

See you in a year, amigo. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I agree about Bloo.  They definitely captured the Fosse look.  

I think you may have hit upon something concerning PR.  Maybe it wasn't so much the costuming as it was the costumes paired with the program content.  The narrator sounded a little bit like the woman on the radio advertising Heavenly Bodies, a Chicago-area gentlemen's club. 

Presenting their 2018 show, "Heavenly Bodies"...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I agree about Bloo.  They definitely captured the Fosse look.  

I think you may have hit upon something concerning PR.  Maybe it wasn't so much the costuming as it was the costumes paired with the program content.  The narrator sounded a little bit like the woman on the radio advertising Heavenly Bodies, a Chicago-area gentlemen's club. 

Someone in Nashville, a phantom alum, said he felt like he was watching a slutty perfume commercial.

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Someone in Nashville, a phantom alum, said he felt like he was watching a slutty perfume commercial.

Oh please. That is so over stating it. Slutty? Come on. :unsure:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hammer said:

The burden of explanation is on the judges. The corps and the fans all believe they did better. 

Citation?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FancySnack said:

You're free to discuss it if you like - but it still may come across as sexist. 

There's a long history of men  *people controlling how women dress in the name of modesty and purity and to not distract men. It relates very closely to the show we were discussing. It's just a dated practice we should all work towards avoiding.

*to prevent anyone getting more butthurt, Mike.

This isn't some theoretical college classroom, it's a football field with thousands of people gawking on. Whether it's usually a female issue or male issue is not the point at all. It's called modesty, something that is largely ignored today. I don't mean to sound like a prude, but if Phantom didn't care about how the girls were perceived, why dress them in what many might calling  see through red lingerie?

This isn't about men "controlling" how women dress. For all I know the entire phantom design staff is women.

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

This isn't some theoretical college classroom, it's a football field with thousands of people gawking on. Whether it's usually a female issue or male issue is not the point at all. It's called modesty, something that is largely ignored today. I don't mean to sound like a prude, but if Phantom didn't care about how the girls were perceived, why dress them in what many might calling  see through red lingerie?

This isn't about men "controlling" how women dress. For all I know the entire phantom design staff is women.

They were see-through?  #### Flomarching that's the last straw!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I know of a band director from the Nashville area who is a Phantom alum.  Hmmm.

I am pretty sure it's not the same guy. Mostly because I know who you are talking about and he sat with his band. This guy came with his wife and toddler, yes I know. And he sat near a bunch of his friends who clearly had connections to Phantom. None of them had seen the Phantom show before Nashville.

The Franklin High director is from Cavaliers, and I think his assistant is a Phantom alum. Another Phantom alum runs Page, I believe. I am sure there are many more.

Edited by MikeRapp

18 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Someone should look to see if that rule still exists. I find it hard to believe that it would still exist with not a single corps taking advantage of it, especially corps not named the Blue Devils.

I'm pretty sure that rule is long, long gone.

• Like 1