The REASON this drum corps thing Matters

Forgive me for starting a new thread

Kids (who happen to be marching Cadets this season) talk about why this matters - watch at least the first couple, well worth a few minutes

They only have a few age outs so the entire video isn't too long

Puts a LOT into perspective. {Hint - it's not the score)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Forgive me for starting a new thread

Kids (who happen to be marching Cadets this season) talk about why this matters - watch at least the first couple, well worth a few minutes

They only have a few age outs so the entire video isn't too long

Puts a LOT into perspective. {Hint - it's not the score)

That's all well and good, but the Drum Corps activity used to get local kids with a bleak future off the streets and turned a lot of kids lives around due to the disciplines learned in corps. Today this activity is an elitist high brow activity for middle/upper class college students. The value of this activity at the local level to help kids and communities is gone completely. It's sad.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FlamMan said:

That's all well and good, but the Drum Corps activity used to get local kids with a bleak future off the streets and turned a lot of kids lives around due to the disciplines learned in corps. Today this activity is an elitist high brow activity for middle/upper class college students. The value of this activity at the local level to help kids and communities is gone completely. It's sad.

Oh yes all those gang kids saved from a life of crime. 

Actually it used to be a working-class type activity - now it is more "upper middle class" type activity due to the fact that it isn't as locally based

Things do change ya know.

However it means a LOT to the members who participate - and that is the point of the thread. Not "now vs. 30-50 years ago"

21 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Oh yes all those gang kids saved from a life of crime. 

Actually it used to be a working-class type activity - now it is more "upper middle class" type activity due to the fact that it isn't as locally based

Things do change ya know.

However it means a LOT to the members who participate - and that is the point of the thread. Not "now vs. 30-50 years ago"

Yes...an activity that goes from actually helping deal with the crisis of youth turning into a multi-million dollar business industry whose main purpose is to entertain. I can see that the activity now REALLY matters a whole lot.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

The Boy Scouts, CYOs, VFWs, Legions, Church groups and clubs etc etc , can all say the same Communities, kids, the whole world is quite different today. The good or bad of that.

IMO we are quite lucky the activity is even around today.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

The one talking about his mom dying in the parking lot on semis...wow. 

Stopped me dead in my tracks.  Hoping he and the Cadets have a great run tonight so that he can experience some joy in what I otherwise expect will be a fairly sad occasion for him tonight.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

The one talking about his mom dying in the parking lot on semis...wow. 

what's the timestamp for that part?

20 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

One of the first ones...i think the 3rd one. 

He was talking about his mom dying during Prelims for DCA when he marched Cadets 2 - I believe that was in 2015?

He marched Cadets in 2016 and brought up the story about his mom passing away in the parking lot during the tv series on Fuse