Cadets 2018

8 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

It's just what we do. In uniform = on stage.

Glad to see at least 1 corps is still instilling/practicing discipline.  I noticed that Cadets were the only corps (I think) to leave retreat the old fashioned way (ie, not scattering among/within other corps....I'm not sure how I feel about either scenario...discipline vs member interaction....each has its merits....another topic for another forum)

That's consistent with a video I watched recently where Hop was speaking to the Cadets in the tunnel, and said "we stand while in retreat; we get 3rd, we stand; we get 2nd, we stand; we get FIRST, we stand".

Well done carrying on traditions of an organization that was among the corps that peaked my interest in the activity years ago).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, exitmusic said:

Every time you hear a crazy staff rumor, remember this: NO ONE WANTS TO WORK FOR GEORGE.

So, either the rumor is ########, or if true, George has agreed to take a step back.

Plenty of people chose to work for George this year. There are plenty of reasons to want to work for one of the most storied corps in history.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2017 at 8:42 AM, CDUB said:

It will be another Bernstein show . . . same for 2019.

What are the terms of the arrangement with the Bernstein Foundation? They were approached with the concept of reimagining the World Champion show of yore.  Did they approve of the creative synergy of 2017?  Are they still committed to 2018 and beyond?  Love Bernstein and want more, just curious.  

12 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

What are the terms of the arrangement with the Bernstein Foundation? They were approached with the concept of reimagining the World Champion show of yore.  Did they approve of the creative synergy of 2017?  Are they still committed to 2018 and beyond?  Love Bernstein and want more, just curious.  

From what GH said on one of his FB live sessions, either party can get out if they want to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, candymancan said:

From what GH said on one of his FB live sessions, either party can get out if they want to.

I didn't know that. 

With all the battle/duel/good guys vs bad guys-type shows we've been seeing, I have to think that Cadets will want to do West Side Story. 

Edited by CDUB
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, CDUB said:

I didn't know that. 

With all the battle/duel/good guys vs bad guys-type shows we've been seeing, I have to think that Cadets will want to do West Side Story. 

It's been done too much. Many folks are tired of it. There are Bernstein works that Cadets have never done. Slava!, Chichester Psalms, Peter Pan (believe it or not), On The Town (Cadets did a little of this, but there is a lot of material there), On The Waterfront (they did in 1986), Fancy Free Ballet, A Quiet Place, Divertimento, Candide (the Cadets have done the overture and Make our Garden Grow, but there is a lot of music in Candide). Wonderful Town, Fascimile, and more. I copied some others from Wiki and posted below. 

• Symphony No. 2, The Age of Anxiety, for piano and orchestra, 1949 (revised in 1965)
  • Serenade after Plato's "Symposium" for solo violin, strings, harp and percussion, 1954
  • Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs for solo clarinet and jazz ensemble, 1949
  • Symphonic Suite from "On the Waterfront", 1955
  • Symphonic Dances from "West Side Story", 1961
  • Symphony No. 3, Kaddish, for orchestra, mixed chorus, boys' choir, speaker and soprano solo, 1963 (revised in 1977)
  • Dybbuk, Suites No. 1 and 2 for Orchestra, concert premieres 1975
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Grandpa said:

There's plenty of great music with Bernstein to keep any corps rolling for years - has anyone done the Chichester Psalms?

The question is the show concept they decide to wrap around it.

Chichester Psalms is great. I sang it in choir back in my college days, and I arranged a band show that used music from Chichester Psalms and Mass.

My guess is they will move away from religious Bernstein music though.

18 hours ago, brichtimp said:

Seemed like the battery was tacet for close to 3 minutes last night at the start of the show. IMHO, a waste of one of the Cadets' traditional strengths.

Plus they were backfield a LOT of the show. 

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

It's been done too much. Many folks are tired of it. There are Bernstein works that Cadets have never done. Slava!, Chichester Psalms, Peter Pan (believe it or not), On The Town (Cadets did a little of this, but there is a lot of material there), On The Waterfront (they did in 1986), Fancy Free Ballet, A Quiet Place, Divertimento, Candide (the Cadets have done the overture and Make our Garden Grow, but there is a lot of music in Candide). Wonderful Town, Fascimile, and more. 

I've been calling for Divertimento for years. And add to the list his Olympic Hymn.

• Like 1