Cadets 2018

18 hours ago, George Dixon said:

He's mentioned it several times online.

My favorite version of theirs was 94, so good. 

That was my introduction to drum corps. I was a freshman in high school (in Central PA), and my high school band directors were big fans of the Cadets. We did a West Side Story show that year, and had several cadets come to help instruct during the fall. I'd like to see Cadets do it on the field again, but differently than before, like they did this year with the mass.

4 hours ago, afd said:

I love your enthusiasm but they finished 7th. Not a Cadet final finish that should be proud of. This this is the CADETS. 10 time World Champs. Only them and BD are double digits winners. 

Fun with numbers...

Just looking at the last 20 years from 1998-2017:
Blue Devils won 9 titles (45%)
Cavaliers won 5 titles (25%)
Cadets won 4 titles (20%)

From 1972-1997, The Cadets average placement was 6.6.
Yes, they won 6 titles in 11 seasons (1983-1993) at one point, but were 4th twice, 5th, and 6th during that stretch. 
Also, the activity isn't the same as that time period.
For reference, 5 of the top 12 in 1983 are no longer active. In 1984 it was 5/12 and in 1985 it was 6/12.
So while the 10 championships are indeed impressive they should be viewed in a context.

These are outstanding, talented young adults giving everything they have mentally and physically and pushing the boundaries of the activity.
They are not professional athletes being paid millions of dollars, so they should not be treated like they are the Yankees or Patriots.
They SHOULD, however, be treated with admiration.
I personally don't like what some corps do each season, but I RESPECT them either way, because they have earned it.
That's what this should be about.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, afd said:

I love your enthusiasm but they finished 7th. Not a Cadet final finish that should be proud of. This this is the CADETS. 10 time World Champs. Only them and BD are double digits winners. 

so in the 70's and early 80's barely making finals if at all was a total disgrace? No. They should be proud they were able to be a Cadet. being a Cadet was never about placement.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, afd said:

I'm not being negative. What I see it giving up. This is a competitive activity. Cadets to me have always been at the fore front of this. Sorry if it sounds negative. It is. What I hear is defeat.

you couldnt be further from reality

• Like 1

7 hours ago, afd said:

I'm not being negative. What I see it giving up. This is a competitive activity. Cadets to me have always been at the fore front of this. Sorry if it sounds negative. It is. What I hear is defeat.

Striving for excellence is different from simply winning. You obviously don't understand assuming you were never a Cadet like the few that do post here.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, 20XXMM said:

Striving for excellence is different from simply winning. You obviously don't understand assuming you were never a Cadet like the few that do post here.

Score as a FMM member of Cadets, did not matter. All anyone can ask is to be the best you can be. You do not control what another corps  executes or does.

• Like 3

On 8/13/2017 at 0:57 PM, mcjordansc said:

He does not need to step aside. He needs to run YEA and approach the Cadets like a CEO approached a business unit of a larger organization. Help with vision, approve executive hires, establish a budget, etc. Hire someone to run the Cadets day to day. You do not push out a person who has brought an organization the success Hopkins has brought the Cadets. The board helps him redirect his energy into developing a long term plan that allows the entire organization to succeed when he does decide to retire. I think if he walked away now the resulting chaos would basically remove the corps from any discussion of a championship for many, many years. 

Wrong. 

He has a chronic inability to delegate, empower, nurture, and trust subordinates. 

A clean break and fresh start is needed to reunite the Cadets family and reinvigorate the tradition of education and innovation at championship levels.  Period.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cadetmom said:

I am new to the forums and really only created an account to thank someone for posting such wonderful pictures of the Cadets.  However, this post is so disheartening to me.  You see, my child just spent her 3rd year with the Cadets.  She marched The Power of 10, Awakening and TFTFTF.  The POT show got the Cadets 4th place and this year the lowest of the 3 years she's been involved.  However, this summer was by far her favorite and most enjoyable.  I have never seen her so devastated over a season ending as I did 3 days ago.  She is still crying because she misses the show, the corps and 149 of her best friends.  If you could have seen the looks on their faces at the banquet and the tears that were being shed because those kids had to leave each other, the show and the corps behind until next summer you would need no explaination at all about what the Cadets are about.  I appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion but I just wish, as a mom of a Cadet and a fan, that people would be more tactful in their postings.  Being a Cadet has a far deeper meaning than any placement or medal.  Please remember that.  My heart breaks reading such negativity from people towards the Cadets.

Criticism is directed toward the exec, and is based on many many years of behavior that has sharply divided the Cadets family and generates at least as much derision as respect from drum corps fans in general. 

The MMs are ALWAYS respected and defended.  They deserve only the best. 

FHNSAB!

For all commenting on the current state of the Cadets and its management, your concerns are surely better directed outside public spaces. Time to pull the plug and speak privately with those who you think can improve the situation. Your issues can be better solved behind closed doors.

• Like 3