Cadets 2018

43 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Perhaps Cadets could do OTW as a metaphor for the bullying control/influence exerted by the judges/electronics/uniform/WGI crowd, to which the brass and percussion lines stand up to at the end, forcibly ripping down the speakers & props and throwing them into the Hudson River.

Just a thought.

i'd really appreciate them staying away from message shows because the overriding design voice goes overboard everytime

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ediker said:

Yeah, it's a little iffy, unless it is kept vague, as @George Dixon describes his vision of it. The music and the mood are the important parts. No need to take it much deeper. 

Well I will do a better job when I have time. I'd like a statement show 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 8:24 PM, MotoSurfBass said:

We don't need it, but I have a strong suspicion we're gonna get it...

I also have a suspicious feeling that the end of this three-year agreement might also mark the end of another era in The Cadets, making one last WSS run a fitting finale for a certain director...

I hope you're wrong. I love West Side Story, but frankly I'm tired of it. Variety is better. 

• Like 2

Taking a moment to remember a great Cadet.... Paul DeLiberto, who passed away this week.

A longtime marching member and staff member with the Cadets, and inductee into the corps' Hall of Fame.

I worked with Paul at a number of YEA shows through the years.  A great man. Always helpful, always with a kind word.  May he rest in peace. 

• Like 6

On 8/13/2017 at 6:28 PM, 90svet said:

I'm curious about a {perceived} Cadets protocol of behavior that I saw at a recent show.  It seemed that while Cadets were entering/leaving stadium before/after performance (for example, to use restrooms in general audience area/entrance), they walked in groups of 2, and quite military-like.

Is this a requirement of corps members?  What is the intent?  Even when I commented on my enjoyment of their show, they returned no acknowledgment or comment.

Meanwhile, members of others corps were informally meandering in the same area and responding to fans' comments.

On 8/13/2017 at 8:58 PM, exitmusic said:

It's just what we do. In uniform = on stage.

On 8/13/2017 at 3:49 PM, George Dixon said:

yup - 58 potentially return - say you lose a dozen to 20 - that's 38-46 returning, maybe as many as 48-50. Bodes well for next season, real well. As long as they return that is.

I didn't see them as 7th place this year. I saw them as 1st in their own unique class.

On 8/14/2017 at 8:28 AM, chaddyt said:

This.

We do not need a fourth interpretation of WSS from the Cadets.

Why not Cadet? You know that whenever they do it they interpret it differently, and every one of their interpretations to date have been great. I did see it live when it was on Broadway though, so I guess my viewpoint is a bit too personal. 

On 8/12/2017 at 11:40 AM, Hrothgar15 said:

With the Cadets a shoo-in for 7th tonight, their lowest placement in 36 years, where do they go from this flawed yet enjoyable show to medal in 2018? What has to change music, drill, staff, and design wise?

Let's get this ball rolling. I believe in you, Cadets!

I didn't see them as 7th. I saw them as 1st in their own unique class. 

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Taking a moment to remember a great Cadet.... Paul DeLiberto, who passed away this week.

A longtime marching member and staff member with the Cadets, and inductee into the corps' Hall of Fame.

I worked with Paul at a number of YEA shows through the years.  A great man. Always helpful, always with a kind word.  May he rest in peace. 

Amen