Cadets 2018

11 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Taking a moment to remember a great Cadet.... Paul DeLiberto, who passed away this week.

A longtime marching member and staff member with the Cadets, and inductee into the corps' Hall of Fame.

I worked with Paul at a number of YEA shows through the years.  A great man. Always helpful, always with a kind word.  May he rest in peace. 

It's now been 40 years since I received the phone call in the winter of 1977 to join the Cadets' staff. Paul was one of the first alums and instructors to welcome me. While some alums were wary of outsiders due to the church issue and the flailing of Northern NJ corps then (Muchachos, Bridgemen,) Paul immediately made me feel at home. His ability to adjust, fulfill, and to remain calm under difficult stress was a quality I greatly admired and envied. He adjusted easily to working through 3 different administrations in my time (Cinzio, Santo, Hopkins.) He could as easily be found under the buses fixing some mechanical problem as well as being out on the field as a marching tech helping teach and perfect a Zingali drill. He learned to speak Philadelphian (Hopkins), Bahstahnian (Zingali, Twiggs, Sylvester, Strachan,) New Yorkese (me, the Bordens, the new recruits) and the common touch for the volunteers as well as his native Joisey accent. Because he was an alum, he was able to bridge the sentiments of the HNC and Garfield alumni still wondering about the new drum corps of the 1980's while maintaining the utmost respect from the new mms. He taught by example what it meant to be a Cadet.  long time employee of the NJ Transit system, he bridged drivers and mechanics with the demands of administration and drum corps tour. He'd as quickly man the wheel of those buses and trucks as he would paint the logos and signage for the various vehicles and corps' equipment. He and Janice so often arrived with a bowl of fresh made truly Italian meatballs from his mother. And only God knows how many pounds of the food the corps ate Paul chauffeured from grocery store to camp site to allow other volunteers to get some well needed rest.

His death seems so untimely just like Paul Robertson's tragic murder this summer in Cleveland. Both were quiet, effective gentlemen (but never let them hear you saying that about them.) They were the quiet doers without whom the corps would never have made it these past forty years. I can't say enough good things about the two of them. I already imagine them planning how to tweak the squeaks on the Pearly Gates and never looking for a moment's recognition for doing so. God grant them their well earned rest and peace. May the rest of us be as great in character as Paul D. and Paul Robertson have shown us.   

• Like 4

On 8/13/2017 at 4:26 PM, Kevin. said:

nm

Edited by ranintothedoor

13 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Taking a moment to remember a great Cadet.... Paul DeLiberto, who passed away this week.

A longtime marching member and staff member with the Cadets, and inductee into the corps' Hall of Fame.

I worked with Paul at a number of YEA shows through the years.  A great man. Always helpful, always with a kind word.  May he rest in peace. 

We marched together in my Cadet era. He was one of the kindest and best people I have ever met. 

• Like 2

Mr. DeLebirto was an amazing man. Great person. Talented but also very funny, philosophical, etc.

I remember a long talk we had one day while on tour. I will keep that conversation to myself. But let's say it is a talk that defined who I am now.

RIP SIR

• Like 1

I'm a former brass mm (St. Rocco's, Brooklyn and N.Y. Skyliners)..love the Cadets!..BUT with the drum line the cadets had everyone expected higher placement..Watching the 2017 show(finals) I realized how little the drumline played for the first 3 min. or so of their program(not including the battery)..perhaps a more significant role, early on, in 2018 would give judges a  greater opportunity to appreciate their efforts..I know "Simple Song" does not require BD style OTL  drumming, but Bernstein in 2018 could provide the drum line an opportunity to really shine..particularly if they do "Waterfront"..JMO

• Like 2