Cadets 2018

On 8/20/2017 at 1:31 PM, xandandl said:

For whatever reason Aungst and the percussion caption failed to deliver for the '17 season.

Even if it were a matter of the book and field design, the performance scores were not there and did not show consistency. (Too busy making videos, cheering on BD's line, the interplay between the pit and choir, Dartmouth duties, or merely not super excellent in a year of phenomenal drum lines?)  Some blame the staging but can't deny or assert that maybe the drill designer was told to follow certain patterns of field placement for special reasons; I agree that the drill design was focused on the total show not showcasing the battery. The pit/choir dynamic was addressed and seemed to work better in the later season. Still the percussion scores did not excel.

Ultimately, the staging was the battery's downfall. They were an experienced group and were playing well throughout the year. The pit was the biggest issue for me. Honestly, I don't remember a single thing the pit did. Some of that may have gone to the choir, or it may have been that they just didn't wow me at any point. I'm sure the heavy sleeves on the monk robes did them no favors, either. 

43 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Ultimately, the staging was the battery's downfall. They were an experienced group and were playing well throughout the year. The pit was the biggest issue for me. Honestly, I don't remember a single thing the pit did. Some of that may have gone to the choir, or it may have been that they just didn't wow me at any point. I'm sure the heavy sleeves on the monk robes did them no favors, either. 

If you watched them close up, like I did several times, the Front Ensemble did have several wow moments. I do see that the robes could've hindered somebody's ability to judge them. Also, cleaning 10 marimbas like they would have needed to by the end of the season, is a nearly impossible task.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

If you watched them close up, like I did several times, the Front Ensemble did have several wow moments. I do see that the robes could've hindered somebody's ability to judge them. Also, cleaning 10 marimbas like they would have needed to by the end of the season, is a nearly impossible task.

Fair enough. I didn't get to see them up close, but they felt lost-in-the-sauce in terms of the overall show while watching multicam streams and live in Allentown and Chester.

51 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Ultimately, the staging was the battery's downfall. They were an experienced group and were playing well throughout the year.

That was exactly my opinion until Finals night.  It's possible that I never noticed it before, but they seemed to have more front/center moments on Saturday. 

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

Most children learn by kindergarten that this for tat is not the most mature, adult way to act.

Guess someone's in the Path of Total Darkness.

it's interesting when you post something and then someone else quotes you and doesn't pay attention to what you actually posted and starts arguing with you

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

That was exactly my opinion until Finals night.  It's possible that I never noticed it before, but they seemed to have more front/center moments on Saturday. 

the pit was the issue IMO - along with feature/playing time -- and all the members were terrific, it was just the writing and features that didn't work out the way they should have

it's a lesson to Cadets - NO MORE VOCALS. Let your brass and percussion shine and your guard sparkle.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Most of the stuff on Reddit with all due respect is idiotic. There are several good contributors there but the majority seem very uninformed and more interest in who is "lit" or the latest meme 

Are you perhaps complaining about reddit because you were seriously DOWN VOTED over Boston's witch burning?... or when you continued on that track they kept down voting you even more...haha

It's just a younger audience overall with a different perspective...many of whom are either current marchers or in that age bracket...I don't participate with much discussion there, but do read from time to time the posts...

Reddit is it is not an "echo chamber"

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Are you perhaps complaining about reddit because you were seriously DOWN VOTED over Boston's witch burning?... or when you continued on that track they kept down voting you even more...haha

It's just a younger audience overall with a different perspective...many of whom are either current marchers or in that age bracket...I don't participate with much discussion there, but do read from time to time the posts...

Reddit is it is not an "echo chamber"

I was? Never noticed and could care less

as far as burning the witch I stand by my take on it, everyone in the world could downvote me but I know what's right and what's wrong. There is no statute of limitations on respecting the story of a victim and how they suffered and died

I stopped bringing it up because I said he would 

I've always been a big fan of Boston so don't think this comes from a place other than my view of morality 

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I was? Never noticed and could care less

as far as burning the witch I stand by my take on it, everyone in the world could downvote me but I know what's right and what's wrong. There is no statute of limitations on respecting the story of a victim and how they suffered and died

I stopped bringing it up because I said he would 

I've always been a big fan of Boston so don't think this comes from a place other than my view of morality 

Your point I do understand although I don't necessarily agree... and the point just gets very little traction from most quarters...I'm not looking at your viewpoint in this regard as anti-Boston...but don't get me started about morality though...the unconscionable things I've seen and then argued as being just art...that's for a whole other discussion...

You predicted Boston 6th...you were right on the $$$$ :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

the pit was the issue IMO - along with feature/playing time -- and all the members were terrific, it was just the writing and features that didn't work out the way they should have

it's a lesson to Cadets - NO MORE VOCALS. Let your brass and percussion shine and your guard sparkle.

By no more vocals, I assume you also mean no more social studies narrations, massive useless stages, and members of the trinity or Greek history parading half naked around the field?

• Like 2