Cadets 2018

52 minutes ago, glory said:

Okay. But you kind of missed the point.

HH

Don't bother with self appointed Queen Annie. Not only a rookie authority but her content says she only posts to put down Cadets, Phantom Regiment, and judging. Sour grapes.

And not as many vets left because of Gino but rather because of George-&-Kristy, the problems with the 2016 tour, and the lack of depth in the techs hired for brass and drill. Remember that Bobby Jones was announced until after auditions; most vets thought it was going to be the same design and visual team as 2016. So says the two vets I had sponsored in '14, `15, & '16 who chose not to march their age-out years but to pursue other academic and career goals. JMO.

54 minutes ago, afd said:

It was a VERY strong 7th place finish.

Wear that hat proudly.

Perhaps if people reacted more strongly to the chorus, the Cadets would have placed better? It seems general acceptance; lack of outrage created by the chorus really hurt the Cadets. They need a bigger, more controversial distraction next year so we don’t focus on their poorer design and performance. 

Just throwing it out there but maybe they should, I dunno, play the Star Spangle Banner as a mash up with some K-pop hit and then have the guard kneel down. The drum line could then attack the guard, have the horns jump in fray, kill a DM or two while the choir sings the hits of Barry Manilow. Then break out the church bells again, they look great in close up and we all love that shot through them on the DVDs. Hit the angel synth sound, feature a guard girl in white,  the corps stops fighting makes  company front, plays a note, drop the tarps and win DCI

I’d call it Weekend in New England

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Wear that hat proudly.

Perhaps if people reacted more strongly to the chorus, the Cadets would have placed better? It seems general acceptance; lack of outrage created by the chorus really hurt the Cadets. They need a bigger, more controversial distraction next year so we don’t focus on their poorer design and performance. 

Just throwing it out there but maybe they should, I dunno, play the Star Spangle Banner as a mash up with some K-pop hit and then have the guard kneel down. The drum line could then attack the guard, have the horns jump in fray, kill a DM or two while the choir sings the hits of Barry Manilow. Then break out the church bells again, they look great in close up and we all love that shot through them on the DVDs. Hit the angel synth sound, feature a guard girl in white,  the corps stops fighting makes  company front, plays a note, drop the tarps and win DCI

I’d call it Weekend in New England

You know, sometimes it's best not give people ideas. I'm just saying...

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

... Perhaps if people reacted more strongly to the chorus, the Cadets would have placed better? It seems general acceptance; lack of outrage created by the chorus really hurt the Cadets. They need a bigger, more controversial distraction next year so we don’t focus on their poorer design and performance. 

Just throwing it out there but maybe they should, I dunno, play the Star Spangle Banner as a mash up...

You must be so proud of yourself. When was the last time you liked drum corps?

HH

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

And not as many vets left because of Gino but rather because of George-&-Kristy, the problems with the 2016 tour, and the lack of depth in the techs hired for brass and drill...

Yes. Gino/Colin was over-simplifying. Same point though. A less experienced, less veteran corps literally lacked the chops for the top 6. 

Apologies if that simple explanation doesn't hew to DCP's orientation around blaming Hopkins, vocal and electronics (probably in that order) for everything that goes wrong. I say this not to X but in general. And to George D.: You know I'm right.

HH

4 hours ago, glory said:

Really? Cadets design lacking so? Compared with the corps finishing above them? I didn't see it.

What was the genius in the top 5 (or 6)? It's not as if Boston wasn't literal with the witches. Or Bluecoats who delivered a reprise, only this time with a giant, static black hole in the concept. Or Cavies with all that visual and vocal clutter allegedly aggregating to a manly theme. Or Crown who gave us a level of stridency in the closer we're at pains to forget. Or SCV who used - wait for it - CIRCLES to represent snakes consuming themselves while a tiny fraction of the corps covered the vast majority of the notes. Even BD, the lone show in the top six worth another watch - what was that? By the time the One-Eye Sailor rhythm passed, the metamorphosis was lost on all but the most knowledgeable fans. Not to worry in BD's case - an exception in the top 6 - the product was still good.

My view? It  wasn't design that held back Cadets. Boston's raid on Gino and Colin cost the Cadets talent, which cost them in the standings. Only a handful of vets return to the brass line for 2017, and you could hear it. The Cadets brass just didn't present the mature sound that the lines above them did. That deficit resounded across the sheets. Percussion suffered similarly, though maybe not as deeply. 

One final note. Many of you who are criticizing the Cadets design, and in particular the chorus, never saw the show live - or at least didn't see it live in August. It was a different experience live. It was a gorgeous blend of musical textures deserving of more credit than the closed minds of the acoustic past are willing to allow.

HH

If you compare the Cadets design with those of the top 5 and can't see that it isn't in the same league, then I don't know what to tell you. If you think the top 5 didn't have better designed and more compelling shows than the Cadets (BAC and BK too) then I don't know what you're looking at/hearing. The Cadets show was musically beautiful (choir included), but the design staff was completely out of touch with what it takes, from a design standpoint, to compete with the top corps. It was way too literal (the benches, the robes, the bibles, the crosses, the narration - complete over kill. I'm surprised they didn't pass out collection plates through the stands at finals. The changes made that show worse as the season progressed, not better), the props were entirely useless and poorly designed themselves, and just old in it's design. It looked like a relic from the distant past next to SCV and BD. I loved the choir - that was the one thing they did brilliantly. But, if you cannot recognize the massive shortcomings and design issues of the 2017 show, then you either can't get past your bias or you do not understand how a championship show is designed. It's that simple.

Cavies and Crowns shows both annoyed me to no end. So much so that I didn't even bother watching them during finals week. The Cadets staff is completely incapable of designing a good show, much less a championship one. SCV's show was the most brilliant thing I've ever seen on the field after 1993 Star. All elements of SCV's show were brilliantly integrated and executed. There was nothing done during their show that didn't need to be done. THAT's what makes a brilliant design - filling a show to the brim with stuff, but doing it in a way that isn't overkill. The Cadets show, by comparison was silly and embarrassing. I felt bad for those kids having to perform that show. 2017 SCV completely blew away the 2017 Cadets in every way, shape and form. Absolutely no contest in any facet of design or execution. I can say the same, with confidence, about the entire top 6 in comparison to the Cadets. It was a terrible season for them any way you slice it, and there is zero indication they will return to the top tier as long as GH remains in charge. You could see the signs of this starting in 2012, but it really kicked into high gear in 2016 and the downward trend continued in 2017. Not looking promising for their future, especially when one person, who's completely lost touch with reality, pulls all the strings.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/26/2017 at 9:35 AM, Fran Haring said:

It truly might be time for an all-Jimi Hendrix show.  :8_laughing:

That would be cool. I remember during the 2001 season thinking WTF when I heard the Cadets repertoire. It was so outside the box for them. I went to finals week expecting to hate it. Well it was my favorite show that year. It was just so cool. That's what they need to get back to.

• Like 1

Blaming Cadets’ 7th place finish mainly on lack of talent is the most laughable thing in this thread, and that says something :unsure:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Blaming Cadets’ 7th place finish mainly on lack of talent is the most laughable thing in this thread, and that says something :unsure:

I agree with you. Granted, I don't think they probably had the same level of talent in 2017 as 2011, but design is their downfall. That 2016 corps would have no doubt finished much higher with a better designed product. I just hope they figure it out, but when you have one person in charge who has all the power that's pretty difficult.