Cadets 2018

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no they folded several years ago

you missed the pun, binary thinker that you seem so often to be. 

Gino left Cadets for Magic of Orlando, then came back to Cadets.

Edited by xandandl

33 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Thirteenth Amendment?

oh you've talked to those horn players who marched under him in his early years? 

yes, he's mellowed......................a lot.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2017 at 6:44 PM, Jeff Ream said:

BD has developed a lot of their own talent over the decades. Where do you think Gibbs, Scojo et al came from?

In the case of BD I was particularly referring to the administrator Rudy acquired from the Cadets which was the topic of the post replied to. Yes they have developed many talented instructors & arrangers. I think that's common knowledge

The other 3 corps I listed - Coats, Crown & Boston - seems to acquire their arrangers, designers and caption heads, many of which spent time in Allentown.

Sorry I wasn't more clear - I have tremendous respect for BD

24 minutes ago, skevinp said:

If the Cadets could find a way to make money based on the number of posts in their thread, they'd never have to worry about money again.

or how many of their alums have gone on to teach at other corps as well as the Maroon Platoon.

17 minutes ago, xandandl said:

or how many of their alums have gone on to teach at other corps as well as the Maroon Platoon.

As if somehow that matters

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

In the case of BD I was particularly referring to the administrator Rudy acquired from the Cadets which was the topic of the post replied to. Yes they have developed many talented instructors & arrangers. I think that's common knowledge

The other 3 corps I listed - Coats, Crown & Boston - seems to acquire their arrangers, designers and caption heads, many of which spent time in Allentown.

Sorry I wasn't more clear - I have tremendous respect for BD

Folks often go to great lengths to point out the people that have marched or taught Cadets are, or have been, at Crown and Bluecoats. Not exactly a shocker that corps like Cadets and BD can somehow be family tree'd out like this. The two of them have been around much longer than near any corps still in the game and have had a near stranglehold on the competitive aspect since the late 70's. Bluecoats didn't even make finals until 87 and were long known as "the fun corps that didn't care about placements." Crown didn't even started competing in Open Class/D1 in earnest until 1994  ... The year of BD's 7th Championship, after Cadets 6th.

That being said, Bluecoats' staff is loaded with in-house talent. At every level there is someone who was wearing a penny around their neck before becoming a paid staff member. And a couple of the Cadets FMM's on staff own pennies as well (like Battery Coordinator Tom Gasparinni and Visual Caption Head Mike Fanning).

Corps migration between Corps of staff and  marchers has gone on in DCI since DCI began in the 70's. George Hopkins himself ( as many long time DCI followers here no doubt know ) wasn't " home grown " in the Cadets. He never marched Cadets. He marched, and later came to the Cadets, from the Crossmen. Colin McNutt did not cut his teeth in Drum Corps in the Cadets. He started out Marching Boston, and on the staff at Boston, before years later being hired by George Hopkins and the Cadets for the Cadets Percussion line. The pivotal moment is the DCI emergence of the Cadets in the early 80's was when George Hopkins was able to secure George Zingali away from the 27th Lancers of Massachusetts. Zingali was an outstanding drill designer at the time. These are not zero sum games. Once George Hopkins secured  Zingali to the Cadets to write his visuals at the Cadets, the Cadets soon took off placement wise,( and 27th Lancers with this key loss were never quite the same, went into quick decline placement wise, then folded). Every DCI corps is chock full of staffers/ marchers that began their Drum Corps initial experiences not in the Corps that they made their mark as staffers later. And yes, even the Blue Devils have key staffers/ staffers/ marchers over the years that did not start their Drum Corps experience in the C, B, A Corps of the Blue Devils Organization. Some did. But most of them there didn't. So there really is nothing new under the sun here regarding  the annual migration of staffers and marchers between Corps. In such migrations where there are no compensations between Corps for the movements between Corps, there will naturally then be " losers " and also " winners " in these such annual migrations of staffers/ marchers. You want to  be on the winning end of these migrations, not the losing end.  BD has been.. and has little turnover of key staffers there. To the Cadets credit, for over 35 years they have been on the winning side of these annual migrations of staffers. marchers. ... again, that began when a pretty much down and out Garfield Cadets Drum Corps was able to secure the services of George Hopkins to run the operation..... George Hopkins from the Crossmen... and he then he put his new Corps ( for him )  back on the path to greatness there, to his credit..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1