Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, mkelley said:

Jeff, sorry you were hurt by my comments, but to put it simply my kid said he doesn't want to step backwards to do part-time weekend drum corps!  This isn't his first time on a gym floor, he already cut his teeth sweating it out in DCI, like the majority of kids there at the last two camps I attended they are hard working, ambitious and universally all want to jump up to that next level of competition as a member of the Cadets.    If we lived close to Allentown and he needed to build his chops then sure, why not, but neither is the case.

It is important to note that I was witness to many other students providing a far more articulate and thoughtful view on this exact topic as we left camp, so as adults whether we validate their views or not, kids were and surely still are voting on DCI vs DCA with their own feet!   

Again, my initial comments were in relation to a crowd of kids and those that I shuttled to and from the Airport expressing how much they enjoyed the Cadets camp experience (even those offered only C2 positions) and then my own observations that staff consistently provided a very supportive and positive learning environment.   It was not intended to somehow single you out or provide political commentary on part-time vs full-time, DCA vs DCI or elitist vs snowflake.   I thought that was obvious, but if not I will be much more careful next time I post in the Cadets forum where EVERYTHING seems to go sideways!  :)

Mr. Kelley,

I agree with others that you have no obligation to apologize particularly to posters not connected to the organization in any way.

There are some people who have to make themselves the bride at every wedding, the corpse at every funeral. Anyone not affirming that has to be wrong in their estimation, no matter the validity of one's own experience.

While in almost nine decades there are some personalities associated with the Cadets whose actions/attitudes/announcements and decisions haven't always been universally praiseworthy -- in fact even stirring ire in others, on the main all associated with the Cadets are superb. Otherwise the corps would not have lasted 84 years where ever the management "office" was located.

I hope your son holds the good experience he had this weekend to heart, uses it for his greater growth, and arrives wherever it is best for him. Both of you are blessed to have that special bond which allows you both to appreciate such special talents as father and son. Thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

Did the brass line get all four or did a couple end up in the guard?

I don't know that anything is set in stone until the contracts are accepted and they start writing drill. But from what I heard, it sounds like its brass. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mkelley said:

, so as adults whether we validate their views or not, kids were and surely still are voting on DCI vs DCA with their own feet!   

Absolutely. DCA has served the unique and different needs of kids " with their own feet " for longer than DCI itself too.  Between DCA/ Open Class/ Soundsport than are far more " feet " choosing these units to march than the Elite Top 12 Corps in DCI too. They choose these units over the Elites for a multiplicity of reasons. Reasons such as costs... talent levels... proximity to home... experience.... time requirement commitments... friends in Corps... staffs they know... family that previously marched there.... opportunity to solo or be featured, rather than just one of many... and perhaps a dozen other reasons why ( for example ) DCA has been attractive options for marchers, and since even before DCI was hatched. This is why tens of thousands  of " feet " have gone to DCA Corps to march over the years too... and continue to do so into 2017 and 2018 as well.

Edited by BRASSO

6 hours ago, FTNK said:

So any public insights on the show? I might have missed some things. Lenny Bernstein- in, out? let’s get crackin.

Lenny's out...

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Some thought the Bernstein/NY Phil thing was going to bring in tons of veteran brass talent... welp

There are plenty of other good reasons to march with a given corp.  My gut feeling for this season's Cadets is that GH will pivot in a new direction with a concept, and music, that the performers, crowd, and judges can better relate to.  It will be like 1989 (Les Mis).  A memorable and worthwhile experience for the kids and, in spite of placement, will get everyone thinking about the Cadets in a fresh way, paving the way for a climb in 2019.  

12 minutes ago, xandandl said:

https://yea.org/news/1901-cadets-camp-recap-red-land-high-school

some show music to be revealed at one day brass auditions in Cypress/Houston this Saturday. Some was played at camp this past weekend. Some day The day of the first show in June you will learn about it.

Edited for accuracy. :8_laughing:

• Haha 1