Cadets 2018

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

My father had a drug store and a woman who worked for him in the late 60’s/early 70’s, a former WAVE, did not approve of “hippies” and anytime she worked with one, which was any boy who did not have a crew cut, she’d say “Haircut or hairnet” and she’s pull out the hairnet. They'd get a haircut, my father may have signed the paychecks, but they were scared of her. She volunteered instructing a local drum corps, especially in the winter months when you had to brush up on basics.  I’m thinking it was the 21st Lancers of  Norwood, MA, though I’m not sure  (not to be confused with 27th Lancers of Revere) but she got so disgusted with long haired young men, she went over to the all girls Debonaires instead.

#### hippies!  :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tim K said:

My father had a drug store and a woman who worked for him in the late 60’s/early 70’s, a former WAVE, did not approve of “hippies” and anytime she worked with one, which was any boy who did not have a crew cut, she’d say “Haircut or hairnet” and she’s pull out the hairnet. They'd get a haircut, my father may have signed the paychecks, but they were scared of her. She volunteered instructing a local drum corps, especially in the winter months when you had to brush up on basics.  I’m thinking it was the 21st Lancers of  Norwood, MA, though I’m not sure  (not to be confused with 27th Lancers of Revere) but she got so disgusted with long haired young men, she went over to the all girls Debonaires instead.

Did the young girls all have short hair?     :bigsmile:    

We used to say our long hair grew inside our heads instead of outside. We looked so clean-cut and straight compared to a lot of other corps, but we were no more so in reality than the other corps. Looks can be deceiving.  :innocent:   

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, MikeD said:

We used to say our long hair grew inside our heads instead of outside. . Looks can be deceiving.   

I say/ think this all the time now, MikeD. 

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

Now that the Cadets will not be in the Pacific time zone to start the season, I am wondering.

Will the corps have some preview performances to get the mms used to the crowd, for the staff to judge crowd responses, and for the organization to work out kinks and hurdles for show day procedures???? Plus other corps at Akron will already have shows under their belt before Cadets take their first step-off whether on right or left foot.

Maybe Cadets are waiting for Bloo and SCV to reveal first before announcing pre-contest appearences. Where, when, and will we have to bring a truck load of tour supplies or food bank goodies for entrance?

Eleran? GD? JoshClemens? Shewhois? MusicMan? 

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

Did the young girls all have short hair?     :bigsmile:    

We used to say our long hair grew inside our heads instead of outside. We looked so clean-cut and straight compared to a lot of other corps, but we were no more so in reality than the other corps. Looks can be deceiving.  :innocent:   

Heh, I heard as much from some of the Cadets at WCU during my time there. Though compared to DCA at that time, they were just a tad square. :laugh:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, xandandl said:

Will the corps have some preview performances to get the mms used to the crowd

Nothing is showing up on the official schedule yet, though they usually have a "Thank you, Johnstown" performance right before they leave for Ada (I think May 31 is their last night in Johnstown).  Not sure whether they traditionally do a similar performance in Ada or not, but they are schedule there through June 16 (at least).

The thing that concerns me is that they were scheduled to leave Ada on June 16 and head West, but with the change, they are now listed as "TBD" between June 16 and the Akron show in June 23, and they have a heck of a lot of TBD for rehearsal locations through mid-July.  This is one of the reasons I was bothered by the decision to cancel the Western tour:  Cadets had all the logistics and locations in place for that tour, and they threw all that away and have had to scramble for housing and take whatever deal they can get.  I fear that will mean sub-par facilities or longer drives between housing and shows.  

Edited by Eleran

So to generate some buzz, I have a strong feeling Cadets are gonna come out the gate running. I feel a strong sense of hunger in their souls and I feel like they have something to prove this year. I base this on absolutely nothing but my own experience. Let's hope I'm right. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

So to generate some buzz, I have a strong feeling Cadets are gonna come out the gate running. I feel a strong sense of hunger in their souls and I feel like they have something to prove this year. I base this on absolutely nothing but my own experience. Let's hope I'm right. 

Based on conversations with friends in the Cadets organization, you may be on to something!