Cadets 2018

Remember, not that many years ago, when this weekend was when Cadets' fans would be excited to see the corps' first appearance of the season: rising early to see them parade in E.Rutherford/Carlstadt and then back over to Paramus or Wallington depending on the year for the second parade before onto big doings with other corps marching in Hawthorne.The BBQ and festive lunch would cap the evening. As the day progressed the corps would gel, the crowds would grow larger, and the chests would really swell past the grand stands and Hawthorne AL post with all those Cabs, Muchachos, and former Bridgemen or Golden Knights giving their early season critiques from the sidelines.

Memorial Day was something to commemorate not merely mark as Practice Day #xyz off in some far off, out of the way place. Now the custom is to send one horn player in uniform to grind out Taps and appease the local neighbors. But hurry back or you'll miss your dots for the several sets the staff will but re-write a few weeks later no matter how good the show  this season. And don't miss the Memorial Day Sales at Walmart once the practice is over.

I hope the new admin and director will retrieve part of the corps' cherished great legacy to honor not only those who marched before them but the many alums who sacrificed in war, some like my uncle who were never able to return home. It's an aspect of drum corps that has seemed to have been lost in this current one-and-done DCI and WGI.  Memorial Day was originally set by Abraham Lincoln as a way to unite our nation after the horrors of the War between the States. Putting things in right perspective seems most appropriate for a show named The Unity Project.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

It's a little odd to see something cut and pasted from your personal FB page here....

Are the unis going to be the same as the ones announced by GH? I imagine it takes a while to make, distribute and fit them and there are a lot of other priorities the corps has been addressing. 

Then again they busted out new black uniforms only a couple of weeks before finals in 2015 and loo----actually better not to bring that up.

• Haha 1

Got a chance to see and hear the Cadets- this is not a corps you'll want to miss. I was a huge fan of last year, but this corps clearly is very mature and the sounds they are putting out definetly reinforce that! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, FTNK said:

What a concept!

I know in conversations and from seeing the shows his band's put out, there's a concern designers are doing things for the sake of doing them for numbers, not to really create something that's artistic and meaningful to the viewer. His band has done some really fun and memorable music and had some really enjoyable moments. I didn't mind ending up second to them in '08 for the championship when I staffed a competitor. They were in another universe, and we had a solid program and performance- just not on their level. :satisfied:

"The design team has the freedom that many of us wanted them to have now. The "cuffs" are off of them and you are going to hear and see things from this corps that will give you a fresh attitude about the product. They will not be a parody of themselves, that is for sure. The former person in charge always gave the impression that they were running out of ideas. These guys? For them the dam that was holding them back has been blown up and the ideas and creativity is flowing. It's very special to watch. "

THIS is EXCITING. I was hoping this would happen before I kicked the bucket. :thumbup: