Cadets 2018

10 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Umm how is that a silly question? If you're going to assert there's a flaw with current judging and that a new system would be more effective, the new system better have a way to solve the issues with the previous format.

Another one not owed an explanation 

9 minutes ago, xandandl said:

maybe take this outside as we look on this thread about discussion of The Cadets. The kids deserve that.

Maybe! Go back to

6 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

I thought last year's percussion issues had more to do with the staging and position on the field? Poor design affected music scores. That's how a caption, while individually very talented, finishes 8th

All the keyboards in the pit went over like a hot soda pop 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, skevinp said:

How would an ordinal system solve that alleged problem?

I think the point is that it is difficult to determine the difference of .1 verses .3. Ordinals would allow judges just to rank them in order of excellence 

• Thanks 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

I think the point is that it is difficult to determine the difference of .1 verses .3. Ordinals would allow judges just to rank them in order of excellence 

Exactly my point. Thanks - you get it. 

• Like 1

Was at Cadets rehearsal most of the day Monday this week.  They did not do any ensemble... sectionals all day, with percussion working alone putting this chart on the move.  Was happy to hear the execution in the video, as things were still pretty dirty on the move.  Tons of potential, and the talent is certainly there with plenty of time to perfect and tweak.

The vibe during the entire day was very relaxed yet completely focused on the tasks at hand.  Seemed different than when I visited Ada the same time last year.

And the pit size is RIGHT this year.  Definitely not the episode of "Hoarders" we all dealt with last year. I'm sure the kids are loving it this way too.

BTW, I'm actually a fan of ordinals too.  I think Fiedler proposed them several years ago also.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

I thought last year's percussion issues had more to do with the staging and position on the field? Poor design affected music scores. That's how a caption, while individually very talented, finishes 8th

Unfortunately they have the same visual designer. Let's see if staging gets better with one year under his belt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Wasn't the ordinal system proposed at the Rules Congress by someone no longer to be named?

Yes, and it was voted down 24-1 by the grown-ups in the room who apparently understood that dumbing down the judging process is not an actual solution.  

Case closed.  Back to the Cadets.  I'm beyond excited by the strong reports and positive outlook we are seeing in the face of all these kids have had to weather coming into the season.

Hoping the Cadets have a great year!

• Thanks 1