Cadets 2018

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

The evening event is an annual cadets meeting about protocol while in uniform, walk in twos etc 

yup...long standing tradition.

Usually later in this third weeks the corps begins to do some run throughs with uniform tops or shakos, etc. as the viz fleshes out and the faculty/designers tweek (not change) this or that as first contest nears. Half a days on new material, and the other half on ensemble and "From the Box..." sessions. This is not restricted to just how the Cadets have done it but other major corps as well.

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Urgent need of financial help? uh oh.

Anyone knows that the Cadets always have a year long campaign of asking for money.  I would say that this could be one of those things that people see and react to quickly to help.  Almost every corps does the sponsor a meal now which is great help.  Think of all that bread for PB and J!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Anyone knows that the Cadets always have a year long campaign of asking for money.  I would say that this could be one of those things that people see and react to quickly to help.  Almost every corps does the sponsor a meal now which is great help.  Think of all that bread for PB and J!

While that has been true, and is a major reason why some have questioned the financial health of the corps in the past, it would not be surprising if donations from alums would be up since so many were not fans of the former director and perhaps some donations from connections the former director had could be down. Where donations could be down would be from the business community and donors outside of drum corps. I have no idea how many corporate sponsors Cadets has, though when I went to Cadets sponsored shows (the last one being in 2012), it did seem like tons of businesses were thanked by name. It is within the realm of possibility that these businesses have policies that would not allow them to donate at this time. Yes policies can be overridden, but it may be a few years before some will donate. Remember for corporate sponsors this is advertising as much as charitable giving. For the average Pennsylvanian, Bank X is not supporting a youth activity, they are sponsoring the group they read about in the paper. So pleas for donations this year may not be the histrionics of the former director, and buying an extra souvenir, a little extra in the fuel container, buying tickets through Cadets, and for those who donate, perhaps a bit more, could be critical this year.

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

While that has been true, and is a major reason why some have questioned the financial health of the corps in the past, it would not be surprising if donations from alums would be up since so many were not fans of the former director and perhaps some donations from connections the former director had could be down. Where donations could be down would be from the business community and donors outside of drum corps. I have no idea how many corporate sponsors Cadets has, though when I went to Cadets sponsored shows (the last one being in 2012), it did seem like tons of businesses were thanked by name. It is within the realm of possibility that these businesses have policies that would not allow them to donate at this time. Yes policies can be overridden, but it may be a few years before some will donate. Remember for corporate sponsors this is advertising as much as charitable giving. For the average Pennsylvanian, Bank X is not supporting a youth activity, they are sponsoring the group they read about in the paper. So pleas for donations this year may not be the histrionics of the former director, and buying an extra souvenir, a little extra in the fuel container, buying tickets through Cadets, and for those who donate, perhaps a bit more, could be critical this year.

All this could be possible .

One aspect not mentioned yet is that this will be the first year of the new tax code which changed charitable giving parameters, especially for corporations. I know we've seen some fluctuation in the not-for-profits with which I am associated. Others will be much more expert than I about what can and can not be done. But the confusion and questioning on both the tax (write-off) front and the YEA corporation front MAY have some influence on Cadets giving at the moment.

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

The corps is fine. These are just the usual campaigns that the run every year and they want to stay ahead of. = )

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I believe the post said: "We have some URGENT NEEDS in the next couple of weeks and could USE your financial help." 

Thank you, Tekk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's like when a member of the media overhears a conversation between two people and they hear one word in one sentence, then another word in another sentence, and then formulate their own conclusion to put that information out in the news, when their conclusion was completely out of context of what was actually said. 

I believe the post said: "We have some URGENT NEEDS in the next couple of weeks and could USE your financial help." 

This, I believe, is how fake news is spread. 

Winner winner chicken dinner

• Thanks 1