6 minutes ago, xandandl said:
11 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Winner winner chicken dinner

that's an appropriate pun.   How many chickens are you donating? :sigh: 

Better yet? Chicken Dinners?  www.yea.org/donate

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2018 at 2:58 PM, Icer said:

There is a lot of stuff being missed here.  The predictions in the first 24-72 hours were being made in the midst of a media storm, during which perspective is understandably lacking.  If The Cadets did not perform this year, the reasons this could have happened were (a) too many operational holes left by the departure of a key knowledge source made it logistically impossible to run a corps, (b) inability of the new board to get up to speed and/or if there had been anything but cooperation from the old board, (c) if the finances were in such bad shape as to be unrecoverable, or (d) if there had been any allegations leveled by current MM's that caused parents to pull their support.  Fortunately all of the above broke the right way in those first few weeks and since, plus the decision not to go West was crucial.

Furthermore, The Cadets were going to be a better corps than last year with or without GH.  And make no mistake, if these allegations had not surfaced, GH would have been the 2018 director.  Another year of experience for the design/music team (especially Shane), a really amazing score (even before the changes), and a much more veteran corps all were pointing in the right direction.  The results last year were not great, but the morale of the MM's last year was extremely high.  So they were coming in with much higher expectations.  

From what I can tell from MM's, the corps is very tight at camp, and they think they sound much better than they did last year.  My suspicion is that if the show is as good as the hints we are getting seem to indicate, the fans will turn out to cheer for the corps, which will raise the energy level even further.

When you combine the fresh start organizationally with what was already an improved situation from a music/experience standpoint, as well as a good attitude, you have a combination that could easily produce much-improved results.  Nothing is guaranteed, but I would say at this point there is a better chance for progress than regression.

Personally, I don't care how they place this year, I just want a chance to see them live so I can cheer them on.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

Personally, I don't care how they place this year, I just want a chance to see them live so I can cheer them on.  

This is a competitive activity. People don't just do it for the participation medals. These are athletes and musicians with a lot of pride who are striving to be the best. They care, so I care for them. However, in the larger view I completely agree with you, because 20 years from now it doesn't matter if they came in 4, 6 or 10. 

• Like 5

After a full day of practice and the intense discussion yesterday with DCI, the mms will let loose tonight with the annual ST dance ("prom") started by Justin Heimbacker ( a Cadet contra alum now BD's CEO) when he was Cadets' asst. director. The night not only lets off steam before the final week but also becomes a fun opportunity for mms to reveal other talents (musical, comical, and personal) to entertain their fellow mms. Have a great time ...the porch lights will still be on.

Image may contain: one or more people, basketball court and outdoor

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

After a full day of practice and the intense discussion yesterday with DCI, the mms will let loose tonight with the annual ST dance ("prom") started by Justin Heimbacker ( a Cadet contra alum now BD's CEO) when he was Cadets' asst. director. The night not only lets off steam before the final week but also becomes a fun opportunity for mms to reveal other talents (musical, comical, and personal) to entertain their fellow mms. Have a great time ...the porch lights will still be on.

Image may contain: one or more people, basketball court and outdoor

Small aside...Prom definitely was going on before he aged out. Not quite sure when it began

Edited by horndevil

42 minutes ago, horndevil said:

Small aside...Prom definitely was going on before he aged out. Not quite sure when it began

Oh Cadets' dances go way back, much prior to DCI days. From Cadets' "Military Balls" when the mms (all male then) wore their Cadet uniforms and the female dates wore favorite dresses, to dress up nights (meaning people wore collared shirts at least, some even ties and long pants rather than practice shorts) through to the current evening routine which is what I meant that Rudy put his imprint on when he was AD.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Oh Cadets' dances go way back, much prior to DCI days. From Cadets' "Military Balls" when the mms (all male then) wore their Cadet uniforms and the female dates wore favorite dresses, to dress up nights (meaning people wore collared shirts at least, some even ties and long pants rather than practice shorts) through to the current evening routine which is what I meant that Rudy put his imprint on when he was AD.

We had a "prom" that is very similar if not the same as they have now in 2005 when Rudy and I were both MMs. 

• Like 1