Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

like little Geoffrey, the kid could have said no.

granted he'd have then been the topic in a blog post moaning about loyalty, etc etc

He moved on to BD the next year and got a guard trophy. (But not a gold medal!)

10 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

Always ironic when you change corps and lose  to the corps you left....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

I think cadets guard will be it’s best since 2014 

I agree. Some nice writing and so much better staging. They are just some way behind on the excellence stakes but that will come with time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

1 minute ago, cadet93 said:

Always ironic when you change corps and lose  to the corps you left....

As drum corps enthusiasts we were taught by Crown that "The Grass is always Greener" and to finish the old saying  "on the other side of the fence." Now my mother of happy memory had a favorite author, Erma Bombeck who titled one of her books "The Grass is Always Greener over the Septic Tank." While I would hardly categorize marching with Blue Devils as a septic tank, I would wonder if he may have felt a twinge of that during finals in Indy. If it were me, at 55 I would take it in stride, but when I was 21, probably not.

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

As drum corps enthusiasts we were taught by Crown that "The Grass is always Greener" and to finish the old saying  "on the other side of the fence." Now my mother of happy memory had a favorite author, Erma Bombeck who titled one of her books "The Grass is Always Greener over the Septic Tank." While I would hardly categorize marching with Blue Devils as a septic tank, I would wonder if he may have felt a twinge of that during finals in Indy. If it were me, at 55 I would take it in stride, but when I was 21, probably not.

Your mom had great taste. Erma Bombeck was the best. Her comments in Arizona for the papal Mass are absolutely brilliant let alone funny.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I was in England on the first leg of my trip. I am now heading back to the States from Ireland. 

Ah...spent 5 days in Ireland a few years ago. Based ourselves in Dublin and did a couple of day trips to other areas. GREAT country!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

Ah...spent 5 days in Ireland a few years ago. Based ourselves in Dublin and did a couple of day trips to other areas. GREAT country!

I was set to do a relaxing retreat and visit to the relatives in the old Sod after the Kansas City championships tour ended. My car was parked in my driveway with my second suitcase packed with fresh new clothes for the trip. The idea was to land in NYC get driven to my house drop off the tour duds and sleeping bag and move back to the airport to catch the evening flight to Shannon. Well, from Kansas City, the TWA flight had a diversion to St. Louis where the temps were over 100 that August. The tarmac buckled from the heat and we were delayed in place close to five hours with no traffic in or out.  I landed at the NY airport with less than a hour to spare for check in to Ireland and the international terminal was packed.  Lucky I had brought my (free) Aer Lingus tickets and passport with me on tour. They re-opened the closed plane door to let me in. Off I went with tour duds and sleeping bag which was eventually shipped home across the pond.

Good luck to all corps competing in St. Louis this summer. My two previous contests there were both delayed due to heat and weather warnings. Even indoor shows have to heed tornado warnings.

• Like 1