Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

After the Bluecoats performance in Clifton n.j. last evening, I think that it is reasonable to accept that the Cadets have a huge uphill climb to reach that level of showmanship..mind you, this from a Cadet fan for over 36 years.

While I agree with your sentiment above......

53 minutes ago, kkpjm16 said:

After the Bluecoats performance in Clifton n.j. last evening, I think that it is reasonable to accept that the Cadets have a huge uphill climb to reach that level of showmanship..mind you, this from a Cadet fan for over 36 years.

I don't think anyone expected them to challenge for top 5, their show seems to be conservative and is more of a vehicle to get the program back on it's feet. And it's done that very well. I've volunteered with them sporadically this spring/summer and the vibe is REALLY incredible. Kids are excited, staff and volunteers are energized, alumni are coming out of hiding. Brass book isn't a monster but is performed well...guard is doing great work, pit is killing it, and battery is really impressive. Vocals have been integrated better than last year, but are still a bit too overpowering in a few spots. I've been a Cadet homer for a long time, and this year is a breath of fresh air for me. There is a bright future, IMO.

....I agree more with what was said here. The Cadets were in a tight precarious position this year anyways so it's great to see they are still performing at a max level. I saw the show last night and I was impressed even more than what I saw in the videos. Of course, they have a lot of work to do, but they have a vehicle that is attracting people back to them, and I think that is more the point of this year's show. Wherever they stand come finals night, I think they will be proud of the fact that they're making people love them again. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

sadly the last few days your generation has been the biggest issue on the DCP Facebook page. break a rule and you think you can mass protest on a moderated page, then #### and moan and send threatening messages when you get banned.

Not you per se, but your age range.

It swings back and forth. 

When it comes to Facebook and drum corps, I am beginning to think if you are young, and do not know drum corps at least as far back as the Legacy DVD's which contain full shows beginning in 1975 (74 only has excerpts and a few complete performances), keep quiet about the past, you don't know it. It's far more than "park and bark" and drumlines going up and down the 50 yard line. If you are in the not so young category and you haven't been to a show in years, and by years I would say the last five years, don't critique the present, you don't know it.  What makes the shows of today  successful is the same as what made shows of yesteryear successful: Talent, hard work, dedication, and people pushing things to the edge.

I'm thinking some of the FB folks may be former DCP posters based on some of the rants and the way things are phrased.

We all have our favorite eras: for me it's 1978-1989, but sneering at what happens today in an insulting manner or denigrating the past is ignorance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Exactly. Cadets are back on a positive trajectory -  so exciting for the members and the organization!

And the crowds around warmups last night showed the fans are back out, too. I was recording the hornline while you were recording the battery! 

19 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I lasted about a week.  If you’re over 40, you’re lumped into this cranky old man group that hasn’t been to a show in twenty years.  It became tiresome.  

Hey, I'm midway into 35 and I wear my crank hat loud and proud! I'll have to invent a 'get off my lawn!' notification when people stand in front of me at shows :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kkpjm16 said:

I don't think anyone expected them to challenge for top 5, their show seems to be conservative and is more of a vehicle to get the program back on it's feet. And it's done that very well. I've volunteered with them sporadically this spring/summer and the vibe is REALLY incredible. Kids are excited, staff and volunteers are energized, alumni are coming out of hiding. Brass book isn't a monster but is performed well...guard is doing great work, pit is killing it, and battery is really impressive. Vocals have been integrated better than last year, but are still a bit too overpowering in a few spots. I've been a Cadet homer for a long time, and this year is a breath of fresh air for me. There is a bright future, IMO.

"Showmanship" is a great way to describe what Bloo does.  They do it REALLY well!   I also realize, not every show depends on SHOWMANSHIP for its GE.  

There is good justification for the scoring differential at this point in the season, but  I also believe it is entirely possible for Cadets to challenge for top 5 by the time it's all over.  

I love the fact that the bar keeps getting raised!  When the Cadets finally make it back to the very top, it will be that much more sweet.

Edited by Tommeee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brass34 said:

I won't make a generalization, but I will say that my middle aged aunts and their friends use FB far more than my friends and I do. I'm 24. There's nothing really there anymore except for pictures of grandchildren and essential oils. I deleted the app.

Essential oils!  :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

"Showmanship" is a great way to describe what Bloo does.  They do it REALLY well!   I also realize, not every show depends on SHOWMANSHIP for its GE.  

There is good justification for the scoring differential at this point in the season, but  I also believe it is entirely possible for Cadets to challenge for top 5 by the time it's all over.  

I love the fact that the bar keeps getting raised!  When the Cadets finally make it back to the very top, it will be that much more sweet.

Bluecoats put on quite a spectacle, and it may be enough to carry them (we’ll see what BD and SCV bring to the table in San Antonio).  For my money, I think Crown has a better show that has more room to grow. Crusaders’ show seems like Crown in many ways, but just a small step behind. At the end of the day what is really nice is the contrasting styles we got to see in a show like last night. There was the whimsical Music City, the themed performance by an improved Spirit of Atlanta, the jazz from bloo, the almost frantic wildness of BC and Crown, and the beautiful, traditional (in sound rather than sight) Cadets. If you didn’t like last night, you don’t like drum corps.

Edited by Icer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dans said:

Congrats to Cadets percussion for their 2nd place score last night...beating Bluecoats and Boston! And the percussion judge was one of the most respected in the Drum Corps activity.

Dirty feet is really still holding back brass and drums, drums feet appear to be a little cleaner. Brass and guard less so 

if they get this show Cadets clean there’s upward potential in the music caps for sure 

• Like 1

I am super happy that Cadets are having such a great season. I think guard will be their Achilles heel this year. Their score last night was reflective of that. They are going to need to get super clean which I hope they can do. Then next season the guard needs to find its personality again. Both in terms of writing and staging so they have their ‘moments’. The drill has figured that out for drums this year but not so much for the guard - and that must be impacting their scoring potential.