Cadets 2018

4 minutes ago, Icer said:

Anyone who puts a stage in front of the performers should be forced to listen to a class of 4th graders playing “Amazing Grace” on kazoos on endless repeats.  A little platform like Bluecoats have, or like Cavs did last year is fine as long as it doesn’t dominate the field. And then there was the $#@& narrator.  If you are going to have vocals, SING for crying out loud. I’m hoping someday someone takes that exact same show, stages it correctly, and takes the gold medal at finals. 

I often wondered if GH did this sort of #### knowing full well it was roasting hot garbage, knowing it would #### everyone off, knowing it would get hugely embarrassing feedback, just to prove no one could tell him what to do. Thank God Cadets can finally get back to being a force again.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Icer said:

Anyone who puts a stage in front of the performers should be forced to listen to a class of 4th graders playing “Amazing Grace” on kazoos on endless repeats.  A little platform like Bluecoats have, or like Cavs did last year is fine as long as it doesn’t dominate the field. And then there was the $#@& narrator.  If you are going to have vocals, SING for crying out loud. I’m hoping someday someone takes that exact same show, stages it correctly, and takes the gold medal at finals. 

Cadets 2019!!??? Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I often wondered if GH did this sort of #### knowing full well it was roasting hot garbage, knowing it would #### everyone off, knowing it would get hugely embarrassing feedback, just to prove no one could tell him what to do. Thank God Cadets can finally get back to being a force again.

I can tell you with near 100% certainty that GH did this sort of thing believing he was cutting edge.  He really didn’t obsess over whether they came in 1st, but he always wanted to be competitive. So when something didn’t work out he was genuinely surprised and bummed, but he believed it was a risk worth taking.  I don’t have a problem with that to a point. Innovation is great. On the other hand... It’s a bit of a shame not to give the members the best chance to succeed, because they don’t have 40 bites at the apple. So if you flail with the design you are writing off a whole season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

And that stage in front of it.  Smh.  The field is your stage.  You don’t put a stage in front of a stage. If you want to add depth to your stage, put it in the back.  Sheesh.  Still bugs me. 

Chronology of Cadets' show themes in 2016:

1) Stoned

2) Awakening

3) Statues Awakening

4) It Sure looked Good On Paper

5) What The #### Are We Doing Out Here???

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree, although I feel the end was what GH forced the design team to put into the end of the 2014 show. The show that Marc Sylvester initially helped them design was really nice, and with less narration and better staging could have been a stately and reverent look at our history from a President's view point. Ultimately it got turned into hot garbage with the kitchen sink thrown into the ending.  Too bad. Very talented corps that never lost a show to any corps except the Blue Devils during the entire season until Bluecoats nabbed them on Finals night.  I feel like that was the end in the minds of many staff...even if they stay a year or two longer. 

So happy for the young and improved Cadets of today. They came out a little sluggish, but that was due to many issues and changes. In the end I feel they will have a great show come Finals and we will all have tears in our eyes regardless of placement. 

As a parent of one of the 2014 members, watching the Finals performances in Indy,  the result felt like a punch to the gut, related to those design changes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

And that stage in front of it.  Smh.  The field is your stage.  You don’t put a stage in front of a stage. If you want to add depth to your stage, put it in the back.  Sheesh.  Still bugs me. 

Yep. You speak the truth Terri!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dans said:

Cadets percussion is very much in the mix this year. Cadets brass...not so much.

2nd year in a row where Cadets' brass is way down there in scoring, but good to see percussion doing better.

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 2