Cadets 2018

23 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

Just be careful guys that you don't start sounding like die hard fans of other corps who bemoan everything (except looking at themselves) and pull other groups down in the process of saying 'it's not fair'.

Hopefully scoring last night was a blip but if Blue Stars do beat Cadets (2 of my 3 favourites corps (the other being SCV)) then hopefully it will be because they deserve it rather than for any other nefarious reason!

The 2018 Cadets has been an amazing story of overcoming adversity and have put a respectable product on the field, despite everything but they also have their weaknesses which will need to be addressed in the off season.  Meanwhile I hope they have a blast for the last few weeks of this season.

agreed - and I know I'm a homer. AND I wasn't at the show last night. I had seen the run through from the night prior and was impressed. SO I guess my reaction just came down to seeing a lower score when I had the impression they had improved quite a bit. All that said - if Cadets finish 8th/7th/6th I honestly don't care. I am glad they have survived this adversity so far and appear to be headed to a better place. After the season is over they can count the chips and see what changes/weaknesses to address. I really enjoy the show for the first time in several years & I do think it's still within their reach to even overtake a corps or two finals week. 

and I really do support your last sentiment - that they really enjoy the final few weeks of the season, an amazing ride and life lesson for the mm 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the score seems like it should have moved, but caption analysis shows some did in good ways. I'm not writing anything off yet. And let's be honest, the 6 above them are ###### good. This isn't 1995 anymore where it was BD, Cavies and Cadets at the top every year. Anyone thinking Cadets were suddenly going to be in the hunt after April is fooling themselves. They had to do some major redesign, and God Bless the kids, they stuck it out, but some staff changes hurt other sections more than others, and the recruiting in the offseason wasn't what it could have been given the slide leading into this year.

This is, IMO, a 2/3 year project. I'm not convinced everyone on design/staff now remains. But the organization has work to do before they can just go cutting big checks. I think the offseason may show some movement on that front, and just the change at the top will help draw in more recruits than had been coming. Next Year I think is when we see some movement starting to happen.

And...there's still a lot of #### to clean. I think getting back to home turf will energize the kids too. 

very well said Jeff - and 100% accurate

if Cadets (2018) weren't contending with an improved Coats/Crown/SCV they would be in 4th right now as things stood 10 years or so ago - the top six are quite strong, especially the top 4

I also agree 2 or 3 year project

thanks for keeping it real and talking me off the ledge :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

if Cadets (2018) weren't contending with an improved Coats/Crown/SCV they would be in 4th right now as things stood 10 years or so ago - the top six are quite strong, especially the top 4

I was texting to buddy Chad the other day about this. That we may be in a new era (shout out to SCV 2001! :-p) of a huge group of top corps.  If Cavies and Boston continue improving, SCV doesn't slip back into 5th, then that's a monster top 6. And if Cadets can climb back in there, wow!  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

hey look, you and i argued for a few years because i predicted the end of season slide, and you stuck by them....and though many labeled me a hater ( hi Danny! LOL), I never wanted the corps to fail, I wanted them to do well. I saw the problem. The Big problem is gone, but several smaller ones built up because of that one, and it takes time to fix everything.

Look at Cavies...2011 top 3. For a few years 9th was possible, then in 16 they started turning the corner...and still not back in the top 3. I never bought the hype Boston would be top 3 right away. these things take time. BD, Bloo....staff has now been together for a while. As SCV has added pieces, it's improved. Crown despite losing some names, still up there. And the 16-17 issues had to have hurt the talent coming in from being what it could have been. Cadets were on the verge of not being a destination corps. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

hey look, you and i argued for a few years because i predicted the end of season slide, and you stuck by them....and though many labeled me a hater ( hi Danny! LOL), I never wanted the corps to fail, I wanted them to do well. I saw the problem. The Big problem is gone, but several smaller ones built up because of that one, and it takes time to fix everything.

Look at Cavies...2011 top 3. For a few years 9th was possible, then in 16 they started turning the corner...and still not back in the top 3. I never bought the hype Boston would be top 3 right away. these things take time. BD, Bloo....staff has now been together for a while. As SCV has added pieces, it's improved. Crown despite losing some names, still up there. And the 16-17 issues had to have hurt the talent coming in from being what it could have been. Cadets were on the verge of not being a destination corps. 

I knew you were right Jeff. I was in denial and reacting from emotion...not reality. It was painful to watch this great corps fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Were you there or basing this on scoring?

I was there. It was obvious and significant improvement. Still a long way from what BD and SCV put on the field, but they were the next best. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Icer said:

I was there. It was obvious and significant improvement. Still a long way from what BD and SCV put on the field, but they were the next best. 

That’s what I heard from others there and i know the staff was pleased. Thanks for the first hand account: 

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, 2000Cadet said:

"I never bought the hype Boston would be top 3 right away".  I know some people here, and I am one, who said it was POSSIBLE Boston could make top three.  Based on numbers recently and the amount of time left, yes it is POSSIBLE.  That said, there is the reality that top 3 is a very tough nut to crack.  Is it a certainty, not at all.  There is a step into that tier that takes time.  Reality says for Boston it was going to be a 3 plus year journey to get into that tier.  4th is more possible than 3rd maybe for this year.  4th would position them for a more substantial run at 3 or more.  As it would be for whomever is in 4th.  At the very least it is one more year with similar improvement from last year to this year.

The top 6 has become much harder to get to over the last couple of years for sure.  The overall quality of shows 1 thru 20 is astounding.  Top 12 is amazing.

Edited by LabMaster

55 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Explain to me why this is relevant to anything? 

And where is this from anyway? That doesn't sound like my writing. Just so you know, clicking the arrow on the right of the post shows what I actually said. Try again. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1